2017 Honda Ridgeline has arrived - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Definitely the Odyssey is more streamlined than the Ridgeline. I paid attention to VCM today. In 23 minutes of towing ECO/VCM activated 13 times., more than I expected.

A headwind today and we averaged 18. 1 mpg. Our average speed was 50 mph.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
I've always been a huge fan of Hondas (and Toyotas, our current fleet), but I have never understood the appeal of the Ridgeline for one reason: the "trunk" and spare tire in the bed. The sales guy at our local dealer was singing the praises of the truck when it came out, but all I could think about was how often my truck was full of gear, mulch, gravel, lumber, etc. Give me a classic drop down spare any day.

No offense to any Ridgeline owners--that's why there are so many different auto designs. I drive an FJ cruiser now, which I love despite it's warts, but the next pickup I buy will be a F150 or Tundra.

cheers,
Steve
Old 07-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowman View Post
I've always been a huge fan of Hondas (and Toyotas, our current fleet), but I have never understood the appeal of the Ridgeline for one reason: the "trunk" and spare tire in the bed. The sales guy at our local dealer was singing the praises of the truck when it came out, but all I could think about was how often my truck was full of gear, mulch, gravel, lumber, etc. Give me a classic drop down spare any day.

No offense to any Ridgeline owners--that's why there are so many different auto designs. I drive an FJ cruiser now, which I love despite it's warts, but the next pickup I buy will be a F150 or Tundra.

cheers,
Steve
That's the one feature aside from the reliability that will have me buying another ridgeline l love the trunk and dual opening tailgate I can store allot in there and my bed is always clear.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #24

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
That's the one feature aside from the reliability that will have me buying another ridgeline l love the trunk and dual opening tailgate I can store allot in there and my bed is always clear.
I agree, these were my two of my favorite features on the 2011 Ridgeline that I previously owned.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:01 AM   #25
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I haven't stopped in to look yet but I've done some reading. For those interested, you can now download the owners manual. The truck comes in front wheel drive and all wheel drive. Mileage listed 19/26 for the FWD version. Subtract 1 for AWD. It has a transverse mounted engine /transaxle up front. Looks tough to work on. The engine has a timing belt, 105k replacement. Most maintenance is determined by Honda's maintenance minder system. The transmission has 6 speeds. Drive , low, and a forth gear overdrive lock out are the forward shifting options. No transfer case on the AWD, so no low range. While I like the trunk, getting a flat while carrying a load of cow manure might make me like it less . The spare is a temp which shouldn't be used while towing.

The truck comes ready to tow, complete with a brake controller pig tail. The tow ratings are 3500 FWD and 5000 AWD. Exceed two 150 lb passengers and 30lb cargo, these go down. An article suggested the need for premium gas when towing but I've yet to find that in the owners manual.

Like all Hondas, there are no options. They use a tiered model system where even the entry level would have been considered loaded at one time. This of course gets the entry level price up there. Prices start at about 30k. All you'll see at the dealers are the upscale models at first. Reviewers love the ride but lots of complaints on the audio controls on all the upscale models.

First gen Ridgeline had leak issues during the first year due to poor welds. Apparently the welding robots got into the happy juice. Also, there has been coolant/transmission fluid cross contamination resulting in transmission failures for the V6 vehicles that Honda doesn't seem to have handled well.

This looks like a nice vehicle but I'm not ready to trade in my Frontier just yet. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:13 AM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
ine The spare is a temp which shouldn't be used while towing. Raz
IMHO including a temp rather than a full size spare is a mistake on Honda's part. The 2011 Ridgeline had a full size spare, which all trucks should have.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I'm sure that's a major factor in the difference between you and me.
Not to mention the possibility of different gallons.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
IMHO including a temp rather than a full size spare is a mistake on Honda's part. The 2011 Ridgeline had a full size spare, which all trucks should have.
Given what most people will use this vehicle for, it probably doesn't matter. Perhaps it would help to stop considering or calling this animal a "truck." It's an open-cargo SUV… it's a crossover utility vehicle… it's a super-sized Subaru Baja… it's a ….?

I wonder, though… will a full-size spare fit in the same compartment? I swapped the space-saver spare for a full-size on my Pilot. It's an underbody mount and it barely fit, diameter-wise. The width means it protrudes noticeably below the bumper fascia. Not attractive, but functional. If I didn't tow, I wouldn't have bothered to switch.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #29

Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
That's why there are so many different makes and models. I do love the dual opening tailgate...ingenious.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I haven't stopped in to look yet but I've done some reading. For those interested, you can now download the owners manual. The truck comes in front wheel drive and all wheel drive. Mileage listed 19/26 for the FWD version. Subtract 1 for AWD. It has a transverse mounted engine /transaxle up front. Looks tough to work on. The engine has a timing belt, 105k replacement. Most maintenance is determined by Honda's maintenance minder system. The transmission has 6 speeds. Drive , low, and a forth gear overdrive lock out are the forward shifting options. No transfer case on the AWD, so no low range. While I like the trunk, getting a flat while carrying a load of cow manure might make me like it less . The spare is a temp which shouldn't be used while towing.

The truck comes ready to tow, complete with a brake controller pig tail. The tow ratings are 3500 FWD and 5000 AWD. Exceed two 150 lb passengers and 30lb cargo, these go down. An article suggested the need for premium gas when towing but I've yet to find that in the owners manual.

Like all Hondas, there are no options. They use a tiered model system where even the entry level would have been considered loaded at one time. This of course gets the entry level price up there. Prices start at about 30k. All you'll see at the dealers are the upscale models at first. Reviewers love the ride but lots of complaints on the audio controls on all the upscale models.

First gen Ridgeline had leak issues during the first year due to poor welds. Apparently the welding robots got into the happy juice. Also, there has been coolant/transmission fluid cross contamination resulting in transmission failures for the V6 vehicles that Honda doesn't seem to have handled well.

This looks like a nice vehicle but I'm not ready to trade in my Frontier just yet. Raz
How often do you haul loads of manure, Raz?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #31

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Uh Oh. Bite my tongue.

Walt
Old 07-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #32
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
How often do you haul loads of manure, Raz?
It's no longer free, so not as often as I used to. But there was a time when I could haul it with the best of them.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #33

Name: Robert & Robin
Trailer: Escape 5.0 2020
Tallahassee Florida
We have a 2017 Ridgeline AWD It pulls our A frame and gets 19 mpg ( 30 mpg Hwy without the trailer ) we are very happy with it so far. We pick up our independence in Nov.We will see.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
post-27444-0-39227500-1471114606_thumb.jpg   post-27444-0-57818900-1471114668_thumb.jpg  

post-27444-0-93128000-1471114112_thumb.jpg  
Baja Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #34

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowman View Post
That's why there are so many different makes and models. I do love the dual opening tailgate...ingenious.
Ingenious, like an old Ford station wagon from the sixties!

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #35

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
They called it Magic gate back then or Magic door....it was on the mid size fairlanes too and any car in the Mercury line like them. Kinda cool
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:06 AM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We had one of the old two-way tailgates in the 60's. Unfortunately the mechanism was quite finicky, and we were lucky to get it to open at all, and not necessarily the way we wanted. Honda seems to have ironed out the kinks.

Later we got a 1976 Olds Cutlass wagon with a hatchback. Worked every time, and we stayed dry unloading groceries. Progress!

I've seen several Ridgelines on the road lately. Definitely less visual presence than the old one, looks smaller, although that is probably a trick of the eye. It certainly bucks the trend of over-the-top, in-your-face truck styling. Maybe that's a good thing, though I think I prefer the quirky look of the first generation.

Baja Bob, I'll look forward to hearing how it does with an Independence. Will you be using a WDH?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #37

Name: Robert & Robin
Trailer: Escape 5.0 2020
Tallahassee Florida
Jon, no WDH I did get the Friction Anti Sway Control.
Thanks
Bob
Baja Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #38

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
We had one of the old two-way tailgates in the 60's. Unfortunately the mechanism was quite finicky, and we were lucky to get it to open at all, and not necessarily the way we wanted. Honda seems to have ironed out the kinks.
They actually worked quite well and I'm sure the ones that are still around still do after 50+ years.
Honda has come along ways with our money though...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #39

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I bought my truck because I wanted a truck that looked like a truck and performed like a truck. I have to admit the Ridgeline is a cute little truck like vehicle but I'm not into cute.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #40
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I bought my truck because I wanted a truck that looked like a truck and performed like a truck. I have to admit the Ridgeline is a cute little truck like vehicle but I'm not into cute.
One thing I never think of as my ridgeline being cute maybe your confusing the ridgeline with is a Suberu brat or a Chevy luv as I am not into cute either but practical ,dependable ,nice to drive I am into.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote