2019 Ranger with Scamp 19 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #1

Name: rt
Trailer: Casita
Ohio
2019 Ranger with Scamp 19

Surely there is a tread for this elsewhere, please link if you know the search terms. I have not found it yet.

I was in contention to buy a used 2015 Scamp 19' deluxe with a used Scamp hitch removed from the owner's tow vehicle.

The problem we ran into is that no one local to the seller would install the hitch. I have a 2019 Ford Ranger. It is a 4X4 with the short bed. The only option, a time consuming one, was to drive to Scamp and have it custom installed.

Calls to hitch manufacturers indicate that the Ford does not have the structure under the bed necessary. So, they do not want to be liable. I think it is fine to do the job otherwise. Apparently Reece sells their hitch to Scamp and they customize it. A call to scamp indicated that they are surprised there were any issues at all with the hitch installers. They use Rangers on their lots. Who to believe?!

Right now the deal seems dead, but I would welcome any input from this community.

I'd like to know if anyone knows of a mechanic/dealer in the Michigan / Ohio area qualified to do the installation?
fishy1rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 06:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Your Ranger is a body on frame pickup which is stronger than many fullsized pickups.

It d@m#* sure does have the needed structure to support the Scamp 19 hitch... In fact the old style hitch is attached only to the bed sheet metal and has worked well for 45 years.
I have owned every generation of Ranger ever made and the 5th gen is the strongest of the lot.

Go here and ask your question... you will be overwhelmed with pertinent info and may even find a local installer...
https://www.ranger5g.com/

The Ranger below actually shares the same chassis and the trailer is a bit extreme...but it it makes the point...

the picture below is a gen4 Ranger Delivering a Scamp19...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
That Ranger and Scamp 19 unit is one ugly combo.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Dang Glennie, did some Scamp 19 owner steal your wife, kick your dog or.......? New guy making his first post here deserves better than this. What’s that old saying, ‘Sometimes it’s better to be silent and thought unwise than to speak up and remove all doubt’.

Fishy1rt, my apologies for the rude comments and I can relate to what you’re now going through. I had similar problems with my 05 Tacoma when Toyota introduced their composite bed. Ended up cobbling something together out of my farm shop and then moved that same assembly to the 12 when I traded for another Tacoma. Over 150k on each truck with many of those miles dragging the same 2000 19er all over the country. Happy to say that camper is still performing admirably but now behind my 19 Colorado ZR2 and with the current Scamp / Reese hitch offering. Floyd has offered some good advice, check it out and best of luck in your search. FTR, we just got home from a four day trip to the Smokey’s and received a number of compliments both on the road and at the campsite on our trailer choice.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #5

Name: rt
Trailer: Casita
Ohio
Thank you for the responses.

This one got away. I couldn't keep the seller waiting while I tried to sort out the hitch and it sold!
fishy1rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:46 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Not only beautiful, but a perfectly matched combo
Old 08-14-2021, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post
Dang Glennie, did some Scamp 19 owner steal your wife, kick your dog or.......? New guy making his first post here deserves better than this.

I was responding to Floyd, and Floyd has responded to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 7.01.24 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 7.02.20 PM.jpg  

Old 08-14-2021, 10:15 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
I was responding to Floyd, and Floyd has responded to me.
True , However... my original point to which you responded had nothing to do with esthetics which are purely subjective and to which you have a perfect right to an opinion.
Besides, to support your point.... the combo to which you referred was a Gen4 Ranger and the OP has a Gen5(which, of course, is objectively gorgeous!)
Old 08-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy1rt View Post
Thank you for the responses.

This one got away. I couldn't keep the seller waiting while I tried to sort out the hitch and it sold!
Keep looking, they're out there. I had to replace both the hitch and the stock axle (due to the ridiculous bed height on today's mid-size trucks) when moving from Toyota to Chevy. Scamp cut me a deal on installation of the hitch if I bought both items from them so.......... road trip. It took less than an hour to get the hitch in and perfectly positioned and I bought the axle back to NC and replaced it here. You might want to google fifth wheel hitch and/or goose neck hitch installs in your area and get on the phone. We've got a good body shop in this area that has helped friends with hitches and axles for their trailers so that might be another option.

Positioning of the hitch rails is the big thing here. You want the ball to be as much as possible dead center over the rear axle but close enough to the rear of the bed to allow you to hookup without having to get out and close the tailgate and to be able to turn sharply without truck to trailer contact.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:19 PM   #10

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
I ran into a similar problem with a trailer dealer in getting mine installed. The owner of the outfit wanted no part of installing the Scamp purchased hitch in the bed of my 2018 Chevy Colorado crewcab short bed pickup. They even called Scamp and still did not want to do it. It took getting the shop foreman involved, showing him the specs and weight of the Scamp 19 and instructions of how Al and Cindy had installed the hitch in their similar Chevy Colorado. They marked right on the work order that I understood that I could not haul anything else. The owner of the shop was almost ready to go get his lawyer involved in the deal. We got it done without the lawyer, but it was touch and go for a while. The shop foreman told me no matter what I hook up to that the hitch was not going to leave the bed of my pickup!

Good luck on your search. They are out there, and you might have to travel a bit to get one. I'm still getting mine set up the way I want it. Should be ready sometime in September to travel.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:31 PM   #11

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Such a good looking truck! If I didn't have the Casita to tow I'd be drooling over a Cactus Gray Tremor.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2021-08-15 at 18-26-44 Ranger - Build Price.jpg  
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:35 PM   #12

Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Actually, I love to have a Excape 5.0, but me Scamp 19 will do everything I need it to do!
Old 08-15-2021, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
Actually, I love to have a Excape 5.0, but me Scamp 19 will do everything I need it to do!

At almost half the price, I suspect. And, if you're inside, you can't see the outside anyway.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:53 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Such a good looking truck! If I didn't have the Casita to tow I'd be drooling over a Cactus Gray Tremor.
Casita doesn't build a trailer that exceeds even half the tow rating of the Ranger, so go ahead and drool!
Old 08-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
I’ve got Chevy’s, but this is my experience. 91 S10 with old style hitch mounted to bed….worked fine!
2018 Canyon new style hitch mounted to bed…works fine. Simple do it yourself project that requires good bolts, precise measurement and a drill. I’d expect No One to belly up to the bar and do the job given our lawsuit environment!
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:49 PM   #16

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
Quote:
The Ranger below actually shares the same chassis and the trailer is a bit extreme...but it it makes the point...
In Australia Rangers have a 2500lb payload and are diesels so towing a 5th wheel like you have shown is not a problem. More often as not you will see a Mazda or Isuzu doing the towing.
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:27 PM   #17

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
Quote:
[The Ranger below actually shares the same chassis and the trailer is a bit extreme...but it it makes the poin
Quite common with the diesel Rangers 2500lb payloads pulling a,23-28ft 5th wheel in this case our winter time. You will see Mazda and Isuzu Dmax's as well
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1629342535568.jpg  
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #18

Name: Cece
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 19’ :)
Ohio
The one that got away is the one you’ll remember. And since your nickname is “fishy” you know it’s true. I’m going through the same frustrating search for a used Scamp 19’ to go with my ‘21 Ranger, and it’s not easy hunting in the Midwest. You may want to start a dedicated search for a shop that will install the Scamp hitch, so you will be ready to snap up the next rig that you find. And if you find one, let us know, too!
Ceceoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #19

Quote:
At almost half the price, I suspect. And, if you're inside, you can't see the outside anyway.
My Scamp 19 has 8 windows, plus the bathroom!
Old 08-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #20

Name: Marty
Trailer: Scamp 19', Scamp mini Motor home, Hunter Compact Jr, NuCamp 320
Minnesota
fishy1rt,
I had the same issue with my 2019 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab, the Ford dealer's body shop would not install my hitch for my Scamp. They claimed there was too much liability with the rails bolted to the then "new all aluminum bed" and not to the frame. I got a hold of somebody at Etrailer .com and I ordered a Curt Custom Fifth Wheel Installation Kit. The kit to fit your 2019 Ford Ranger is #C93WR the price is $389.29 it should bolt directly to your frame without drilling any holes and will give you all the support you need to comfortable pull your Scamp Fifth Wheel anywhere. It might be smart to call one of their technicians to make sure you get what you need.
Good Luck,

Marty J
P.S. I have used mine since my truck was new and have towed my Scamp Fifth Wheel for 5,000 miles and have felt secure the whole time without any issues.
Marty J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp