2020 Highlander Hybrid 4 cylinder--towing 13 Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2020, 11:27 AM   #1

Name: Donna
Trailer: LOOKING
North Carolina
2020 Highlander Hybrid 4 cylinder--towing 13 Scamp?

Hi all--we just bought a 13' Scamp and were waiting for the 2020 Hybrid Toyota Highlander to come out because the gas mileage is a lot better than on the 2019. However, we just read a review, and this Highlander has been changed from 6 to a 4 cylinder. The reviewer was concerned about how well it would do towing since the one he tested had nothing in it, but still had some trouble accelerating, etc.
For those who are experienced towing, any ideas, opinions, or thoughts, or information about this new Highlander? Wondering if we should buy the 2019, instead. Thanks!!
donnalef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:11 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Tow ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnalef View Post
Hi all--we just bought a 13' Scamp and were waiting for the 2020 Hybrid Toyota Highlander to come out because the gas mileage is a lot better than on the 2019. However, we just read a review, and this Highlander has been changed from 6 to a 4 cylinder.
Highlander has a WIDE range in towing capacity. You need to read the book for your vehicle and weigh YOUR Scamp. Is”t it a hybrid? The 4 cyl may be OK if so.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
First, I would confirm the tow rating on the new 4 cylinder hybrid compared to the old 6 cylinder hybrid. Toyota is generally pretty conservative in their ratings, so if it has a rating of at least 2500# or so, I'd consider that adequate for a 13' Scamp with two people and typical cargo on board. If you tow with more than two people, a 3500# rating might be more appropriate.

Second, I'd consider the terrain in which you plan to do most of your towing. If you will tow frequently in mountains and higher elevations, you might wish for the extra power of the V6.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
A quick Google search found this unconfirmed statement:
All gasoline models have a tow capacity of 5,000 pounds. This tow rating is adjusted to 3,500 pounds for all 2020 Highlander Hybrid trim levels.

If that is right I would consider it for towing my 16 Scamp... But do verify the tow ratings as suggested.

PS, you can update your profile from "looking."
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #5

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
I am reading that the 2020 hybrid has a CVT, not a traditional transmission. That could partially account for the sluggish acceleration, unless that issue is specific to Nissan. One thing I would recommend if towing close to the limit is a Bluetooth ODB reader and a smartphone app to monitor transmission temperature. I imagine Toyota over engineered their design if anything, but Nissan apparently tends to skimp, causing transmissions to overheat and destroy themselves.

The new Hybrid loses 60-some peak HP over the old design. Only way to know for sure if that affects tow rating is to get official rating from Toyota. Not a dealer or secondhand site.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:33 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When one limits their choice of vehicles to only one manufacturer you often end up having to live with second best
There are numerous vehicles on the market , both foreign and domestic that are capable of towing a FG trailer safely and reliably.
I understand brand loyalty but if the brand I prefer doesn’t make what I want / need then I look elsewhere .
When I look for a tow vehicle my first criteria is can it tow my trailer safely without having to reinvent the wheel . I’ve spent enough of my time and money modifying my trailer , I don’t want to buy a new vehicle and modifying it so
it hopefully comes up to meet the standard .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:17 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
From what I have read the hybrid highlander has a drive similar to the prius, but larger. If this is so then, like my prius, it has two motors/generators with inverters and an ICE feeding a planetary gear box and the front wheels. If similar to the prius all wheel drive version it has an added motor, inverter and gear box for the rear wheels.

Here is some interesting reading on wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive
Old 02-05-2020, 12:23 PM   #8

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 13' Lil Bigfoot and Escape 15a
California
For what it’s worth, we’ve been towing a Escape 15a with a 06’ Lexus RX400h awd . It’s a hybrid with the OEM tow package and uses a CTV transmission. It’s rated for 3500# and tows smoothly and no problem. In fact, at speeds under 30mph, in goes electric, so we creep through campground quietly.
I would have no hesitation buying another Toyota hybrid/cvt product, as long as it’s rated to tow the weight. In fact, I’d recommend buying a low mileage RX400h or the newer RX450h as a to vehicle, and use a EV as your around home green vehicle. We bought our RX for $7500 with 95k miles. It has been rock solid and comfortable on long trips. Beat paying the original $65k sticker price. When towing, the cvt fluid gets changed every 100k. No big deal.
Kevin Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp