2021 Volvo XC40 towing package is AWESOME! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2022, 12:39 PM   #21

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
About battery draw via Volvo 7-pin

Alan, I have been asking on the XC60 forum, but so far no one has an answer for me.

On some vehicles the trailer continues to draw power after the vehicle is shut off... sometimes draining the TV battery. For instance, when you are running your refrigerator on battery during travel, but stop for lunch.

Some people say you should unplug your 7-pin when parked, but some newer vehicles have a switch, or relay, or something which automatically prevent the problem. I wonder what the Volvo situation is? Do you unplug when parked?
Old 03-14-2022, 02:35 PM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Something like this is designed to cut off power, when the vehicle is turned off:
https://www.amazon.ca/Domilay-Sensit...df_B0983B9N18/

When running the vehicle produces 14.4 VDC. When off it produces ~12VDC. That relay turns on at 13.3 VDC and off at 12.8 VDC. Cost is $15.29 CDN. They used to be much more expensive.

It is intended to be installed on the tow vehicle, but could be installed on the trailer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:37 PM   #23

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Something like this is designed to cut off power, when the vehicle is turned off:
https://www.amazon.ca/Domilay-Sensit...df_B0983B9N18/

When running the vehicle produces 14.4 VDC. When off it produces ~12VDC. That relay turns on at 13.3 VDC and off at 12.8 VDC. Cost is $15.29 CDN. They used to be much more expensive.

It is intended to be installed on the tow vehicle, but could be installed on the trailer.
Thank you, David. I will definitely put one of these on, unless the extremely smart Volvo 7-pin and accompanying software has it built in already...
Old 03-14-2022, 03:12 PM   #24

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
On some vehicles the trailer continues to draw power after the vehicle is shut off... sometimes draining the TV battery
The XC40 manual says on page 444:

"When the engine is switched off, the constant
battery voltage to the trailer connector can be
switched off automatically so as not to drain
the starter battery"

so, I don't know what "...can be..." means.

Tomorrow, I'll go out to the park, plug in and do a test.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:50 AM   #25

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
The XC40 manual says on page 444:

"When the engine is switched off, the constant
battery voltage to the trailer connector can be
switched off automatically so as not to drain
the starter battery"

so, I don't know what "...can be..." means.

Tomorrow, I'll go out to the park, plug in and do a test.
“can be”
SO HELPFUL AND CLEAR!
Thank you for looking into this! If possible, will you also explain how you test, so I may give it a try?
Old 03-15-2022, 12:23 PM   #26

Alberta
Registry
EllPea, Do you have a Multimeter? You don't need anything special. This would do:
https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Digit...dp/B01ISAMUA6/

Using that, check the voltage between pins 1 and 4 on your vehicle socket for the trailer plug. This assumes that your plug is wired according to the following diagram.
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagram-1.png
Views:	4
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	145193

When your vehicle is running there should be 12 VDC, (or more like 14.4 VDC) between those pins. When off there, "can be" zero volts, or 12 VDC.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:31 PM   #27

CA
Quote:
EllPea, Do you have a Multimeter? You don't need anything special. This would do:

Using that, check the voltage between pins 1 and 4 on your vehicle socket for the trailer plug. This assumes that your plug is wired according to the following diagram.
Attachment 145193

When your vehicle is running there should be 12 VDC, (or more like 14.4 VDC) between those pins. When off there, "can be" zero volts, or 12 VDC.
I suspect I DO have a multimeter. The hubby had all the manly, special tool things. Plus, I'm a gadget junkie and have added some doodads to my collection that I've never actually used! Will go sort through my schtuffs and see. Thank you for the details!

I also just finished reading the horrrrible details on your most awful RV trip. I hope I can sleep tonight, but congratulations on figuring this out YOURSELF!
Old 03-15-2022, 12:41 PM   #28

Alberta
Registry
What doesn’t kill me makes me stronger.

I should tell you about being a single parent to these lovely kids. The boy is 3 years old and the twins are less than a year:

Name:	Anisa & Aurora & Forest.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	145194

But that was more than 20 years ago. I have since been married again, and had two more spawn. Below is a picture from this Christmas. The one sitting on her sisters lap, and the one with his head in my lap are the recent additions. They are 18 and 15.5 years old:

Name:	My Spawn.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	145195

Everything else in my life is easy in comparison to being a single parent.

This is the first time I have posted a recognizable picture of myself.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:50 PM   #29

CA
Quote:
What doesn’t kill me makes me stronger.

I should tell you about being a single parent to these lovely kids:
Attachment 145194

But that was more than 20 years ago. I have since been married again, and had two more spawn. Below is a picture from this Christmas. The one sitting on her sisters lap, and the one with his head in my lap are the recent additions:
Attachment 145195

This is the first time I have posted a recognizable picture of myself.
WHAT ADORABLE LITTLES! I'm sure that being a single parent with this many small ones was challenging, but not sure that it matches the worst RV vacation imaginable (but I could be wrong)!

I only have two, both grown, and no grandchildren coming... ever. I often need to snag baby snuggles from the children of complete strangers... which is only successful if mom has a baby uncontrollably crying. I can do it. My kid had colic that wore out 4 strong adults. Just hand that kid off to me, you'll get it back quiet AND sleeping peacefully.

Very brave to post a recognizeable photo! Also, shirt slogan appropriate to the occasion
Old 03-15-2022, 01:05 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Posting photos.

These illustrated instructions are at the Escape Forum, but same process as here:

Posting Photos - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 01:07 PM   #31

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
no grandchildren coming... ever.
I have told my kids that I don't recommend that they have children. For reasons relating to their mother, the three oldest agree. However, the second youngest, (the 18 year old on her sister’s lap) has said, "Too bad old man, I'm going to have kids!"

My advice was for their benefit. I'm looking forward to being a granddad.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:15 PM   #32

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Posting photos.

These illustrated instructions are at the Escape Forum, but same process as here:

Posting Photos - Escape Trailer Owners Community

But I still do not understand why I no longer have the option to upload a picture to an album here!

So, just checking it out... photo of me with the hubby in zoomier days!
Attached Thumbnails
motorcycle.jpg  
Old 03-15-2022, 02:14 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You may be the first to read and follow instructions.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:17 PM   #34

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You may be the first to read and follow instructions.
I LOVE research. That said, I thought there used to be a "help" function on this board, but I haven't been able to find that either!
Old 03-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #35

CA
Quote:
I have told my kids that I don't recommend that they have children. For reasons relating to their mother, the three oldest agree. However, the second youngest, (the 18 year old on her sister’s lap) has said, "Too bad old man, I'm going to have kids!"

My advice was for their benefit. I'm looking forward to being a granddad.
My stepson has two children, but they are some distance away and I seldom see them now since my husband has passed. But babies are just the best, even the crying ones. You'll enjoy them when you get them.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:52 PM   #36

Massachusetts
XC-40 turns off the charge wire so no issues with the camper draining the car battery

Quote:

Unfortunately, my Volvo XC-40 and I assume EllPea in CA's XC-60 are smarter than we are.

My vehicle knows when a trailer is and isn't plugged in, and doesn't power the trailer socket without a trailer being detected. (I guess it supplies some small voltage on the running lights or something to detect a bulb in the path.)

So trying to measure voltage at the trailer socket won't work. (I tried in my driveway.)

But, plugging in the trailer and measuring voltage between Black and White shows that indeed, the car powers the Black wire ONLY when the engine is running, so you can use it to charge your battery and leave it plugged in and when the car engine is not running, it will NOT power Black wire so you won't drain your car battery.

For your reference, measure from Black to White inside the camper when it's plugged in. (My white wire is way to the right in this photo.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7073.jpg  
Old 03-15-2022, 04:03 PM   #37

CA
Quote:
Unfortunately, my Volvo XC-40 and I assume EllPea in CA's XC-60 are smarter than we are.

My vehicle knows when a trailer is and isn't plugged in, and doesn't power the trailer socket without a trailer being detected. (I guess it supplies some small voltage on the running lights or something to detect a bulb in the path.)

So trying to measure voltage at the trailer socket won't work. (I tried in my driveway.)
I did wonder about this! The car is way smarter than me in many ways, so this really should have been a given! But when you have traveled thus far, did you leave yours plugged in?

Quote:
But, plugging in the trailer and measuring voltage between Black and White shows that indeed, the car powers the Black wire ONLY when the engine is running, so you can use it to charge your battery and leave it plugged in and when the car engine is not running, it will NOT power Black wire so you won't drain your car battery.

For your reference, measure from Black to White inside the camper when it's plugged in. (My white wire is way to the right in this photo.)
For my own reference, wherefrom did you pull this black wire? And BTW, awesome experimenting and research. Thank you for taking extra steps to answer my troubling question (troubling in that so many experts have been unable to answer)!
Old 03-15-2022, 04:09 PM   #38

Massachusetts
Quote:
But when you have traveled thus far, did you leave yours plugged in?
I did leave it plugged-in, but I haven't hooked the charge-line up yet, so it was just the running lights, brake lights and turn signals connected to the car.

Quote:
For my own reference, wherefrom did you pull this black wire?
I removed the original 4-pin trailer wiring and added a 7-pin connection so I could have electric brakes, so I just stripped the insulation off the black wire that was in the 7-pin cable inside the trailer.

Follow the thick cable from where it enters the camper near the driver's side front and you should be able to see where all the individual wires come out of the outer jacket of insulation.

There should be seven, and you should also see that the black and white wires are much larger than the rest. (Blue will also be larger, but not as large as black and white.)

At least that's how they are in the cable I got from Amazon.

Let us know how you do in your experiment.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:14 PM   #39

CA
Quote:
I did leave it plugged-in, but I haven't hooked the charge-line up yet, so it was just the running lights, brake lights and turn signals connected to the car.

I removed the original 4-pin trailer wiring and added a 7-pin connection so I could have electric brakes, so I just stripped the insulation off the black wire that was in the 7-pin cable inside the trailer.

Follow the thick cable from where it enters the camper near the driver's side front and you should be able to see where all the individual wires come out of the outer jacket of insulation.

There should be seven, and you should also see that the black and white wires are much larger than the rest. (Blue will also be larger, but not as large as black and white.)

At least that's how they are in the cable I got from Amazon.

Let us know how you do in your experiment.
I will, but it will be at least two weeks before I get my trailer back. Lots of delays in getting parts these days, big surprise.

I am asking this on the wrong thread, but since I have your attention… I was looking back recently for your post on everything you were doing inside your own trailer. Did you ever post finished photos? I’m don’t think I’ve seen them. I would love to see what you’ve done.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:18 PM   #40

Massachusetts
Quote:
Did you ever post finished photos? I’m don’t think I’ve seen them. I would love to see what you’ve done.
The trailer is sleeping off a long winter and everything is removed for mouse-house-not-in-here reasons so I'll post more in a month or so when we reload everything and she looks pretty again.