2021 Volvo XC40 towing package is AWESOME! - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #1

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
2021 Volvo XC40 towing package is AWESOME!

REALLY nice job on the towing package Volvo.

I get in and start the engine and I get:

1) Trailer connected, BLIS disabled. (Blindspot warning when changing lanes)
2) Trailer light check? (OK, Cancel) click OK
3) Left signal, right signal, running lights, brakes, off with the trailer lights!

Then when I start out, it again tells me BLIS is disabled, makes me acknowledge and puts up a permanent icon showing that.

I believe auto start/stop is disabled even though it's selected and green in center console leftmost page.

After I parked, got out and locked the car, the trailer running lights were on.
The car running lights were not on.
The went out when I walked away, and came back on when I walked closer.
I'm not sure if the car was sensing the key or my body or what.
It's going to take a little more experimentation to see what exactly is going on.

Oh, man, one more thing, when backing, the backup view has a "Towball" setting instead of "Lines" that draws a line from your towball to wherever it's going depending on the steering wheel angle. I backed RIGHT TO THE HITCH the first time.

I'll give Volvo an A+ for this towing package.
Attached Thumbnails
Car_Full.jpg   Level.png  

AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Does the towing package include the really useful and must have things like auxiliary transmission cooler?
Old 07-14-2021, 08:57 PM   #3

Massachusetts
As far as I can tell, Volvo designed the radiator-based transmission cooler with sufficient capacity to handle towing, so additional cooling hacks and potentially leaking hoses are not required.

But who can tell if transmission cooler are a benefit or a hindrance anyway?
Old 07-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #4

Name: William
Trailer: 13' Perris Pacer
California
I wonder if Volvo designed the brakes with sufficient capacity that trailer brakes are not required....
mchalewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:59 AM   #5

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalewj View Post
I wonder if Volvo designed the brakes with sufficient capacity that trailer brakes are not required....
Many states require the trailer to have it's own braking system (depending on how much the trailer weighs,) so even if Volvo designed extra heavy duty brakes it wouldn't remove the requirement for brakes on the trailer.

I chose to install a Tekonsha Prodigy RF trailer-mounted brake controller on my Scamp and I find it works perfectly for me.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:07 AM   #6
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Volvo XC

I have a Volvo XC-70, 2004 w/ 257,000 miles, the Volvo dealership said it comes with a transmission cooler and said, “It’s a workhorse!” when I expressed concern because it was 16 years old and had 256,000 miles on it and I towed a Scamp 13 back from MN to MA in Oct 2020. So good luck, you’ll love it!!!! Take care of it and it’ll last as long as you.
My Volvo had it annual checkup and the brakes are fine after the trip, at the yime I had a 4 pin on the Volvo so my electric brakes weren’t powered yet.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:04 PM   #7

Name: Scampgrounds
Ca
Towing with Volvo XC40

I have a 2020 Volvo XC40 (AWD T5) and tow our 2020 Scamp 13' with it. I can confirm that the Volvo tows the Scamp effortlessly (even up grades like the Grapevine). All the features in the Tow package seem really well designed and make it a pleasure to drive and tow the Scamp with -- highly recommended. If possible, buy a new one and use Volvo's Oversees Delivery Program (we received 2 free round trip tickets to Sweden, free car insurance in Sweden, free temporary Swedish license plates, free 5 star hotel night, factory tour, 5 star dinner, transfers .....). We spent a few weeks touring Sweden in 2019 and had a great time!
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:10 PM   #8

Name: RLS
Yooper U P Michigan
Volvo XC

I also have a Volvo XC70. The Asian transmission works great and handles well. Also in the future if you decide to move up to a Scamp 16 is no problem
Scamp16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:13 PM   #9

Name: LuAnn
Trailer: Currently shopping
WI
Mpg?

Interesting. What mpg do you get with and without Scamp? Thanks!
koolkats3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:27 PM   #10
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Volvo XC-40 towing package

Gavin, we also did the Volvo Overseas purchase program in 2004 when my son bought me the Volvo XC-70, didnít tour except to go see the Maiden in Copenhagen because my son worked for Apple in CA and had to get back. Glad the program is still around, you save a lot of money in spite of all the perks !!!!! When we took the tour, Volvo told us, Volvo has original replacement parts available for your vehicle for 50 years.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:40 PM   #11

Name: Tina
Trailer: Casita
Maryland
I'm glad to hear you've had good experiences. I have a 2020 XC-40 and a 2021 16' Casita. I've been searching for a brake controller because it's required by law that I don't have to mount in my car so I can go camping! See note below about my brake controller drama. I don't want drama.
TLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #12

Maryland
Here is my brake controller issue in my XC-40. I actually bought the Tekonsha Prodigy RF trailer-mounted brake controller first, but didn't see a place on my Casita to mount it. I returned it at e-trailers then got the Curt Echo, but like I said, it's not working out. The guy at Volvo service told me that it will probably pop another fuse if I do. I'm wondering now if I should return the Echo and get the Tekonsha Prodigy RF trailer-mounted brake controller again. Maybe a trailer place can build a bracket so it can be mounted? Can you show me where on your trailer you mounted it? Any other ideas? I want to get this solved within the next couple of weeks so I can go camping.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #13

Massachusetts
I mounted it right on the frame in a place that it blocked my trailer jack. :-(

So I moved the jack to the other side of the frame and everything is great.

Can you post a photo of your hitch area and I'll take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6194.jpg  
Old 08-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #14

Maryland
Brake Controller Troubles

Hopefully, this attaches. I've never done that before on here.
I'm showing both sides of my setup. I need the sway bar on one side and if I recall, the Tekonsha Prodigy was too big to fit in the only true open space on the other side.

It's why I returned it and got the Curt Echo for ease, but it's tripping my 40 amp fuse. I just found this thread on e-trailer - The Curt Echo Mobile part # C51180 does require this circuit to be active so to do this what you'll need are 10 gauge wire like part # 10-1-1 (sold by foot) and then a circuit breaker part # 9510. You'll run the wire from the positive post of the battery through the breaker to the pin on the 7-way and the circuit will be complete. I would prefer to use the Echo because I have it. What are your thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8619.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	142708

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8620.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	142709
Old 08-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #15

Massachusetts
OK, let's work on the Echo rather than a mounting location then.

What 40 Amp fuse are you blowing?

All without the trailer plugged in to the Echo:
Does it blow immediately when you plug in the Echo?
Does it blow when you turn on the car?
Does it blow when you turn on the vehicle lights?
Does it blow when you hit the vehicle brakes?

Does it blow only when you plug the trailer into the Echo?

Do you have a trailer breakaway switch?
Do you have a trailer 12 Volt battery and other trailer 12 Volt systems?
Old 08-14-2021, 04:36 PM   #16

Maryland
The 40 amp fuse is under the hood of my car. They said it was for the trailer module fuse.

In order to get the Echo to work, I had to turn on my car first, then plug it in. I didn't initially know to look for a light -- the bulb location on the controller sits in an awkward place with the XC-40 7-pin cover. I had to lay on the ground to see where it was. I called Curt when I was trying it because it wasn't synching to the app. He is the one who told me to look and see if there was a light. There wasn't. He told me it was probably either a blown fuse or the wiring to the 12v pin in the 7-pin controller. After taking it to Volvo, it turns out he was right about the fuse. The man there said the controller could blow the fuse again.

My Casita battery is a maintenance Free AGM Deep Cycle Battery.

I am willing to return the Echo and figure out the mounting on my trailer. I could take it to a welder to have a place built for it to mount.

What would you do?
Old 08-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #17

Massachusetts
If the 40 Amp towbar controller fuse in the engine compartment (Fuse #42) blew when you plugged-in your Curt brake controller I would return the controller to Curt as defective and get a refund. There's no reason a bare controller without a trailer hooked up should ever be able to blow a 40 Amp fuse. (Unless the Rolling Stones are involved. :-) )

Then I would get a Tekonsha Prodigy RF and mount it on the INSIDE of your trailer frame near the hitch.

That's not the preferred location, but it's an acceptable location according to Tekonsha installation manual.

Having a welder add a plate to the outside of your frame will also be a good solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.PNG  
Old 08-15-2021, 09:19 AM   #18

Massachusetts
TLEX, I did some more thinking and I'm confused by something you said.

You said you had to look UNDERNEATH the Curt controller to see the light.

That seems strange.

I watched this video which shows the Curt controller has a tab on the top of it (same side as the LED) which fits into a slot in the 7-pin connector.

The slot on my Volvo XC-40 is on the top as it is in the video and so you should have been able to see it easily.

Did you maybe plug the controller in upside-down?
I don't quite understand how you could do that, but I'm NOT going to try. :-)

Looking at the 7-pin wiring diagram, I think if you plugged it in upside-down, the Charge and Ground connections would be reversed which could certainly blow a fuse and probably ruin the Curt controller.

Can you post an image of your 7-pin connector on your car?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6401.jpg  
Old 08-15-2021, 02:55 PM   #19

Maryland
I already did the return authorization for the Echo and ordered the Tekonsha Prodigy RF controller again.

I probably didn't explain the light thing well. I meant that the case cover (the part that flips up) on the Volvo covers the light when the Echo is properly installed.

Thank you for your help!
Old 08-15-2021, 05:24 PM   #20

Massachusetts
Hmmmmm......

If you plugged the Curt in the right way up and it blew the fuse, I suspect that Volvo installed the 7-pin connector incorrectly, but I can't for the life of me see how that would be in any way possible.

Let us know how it comes out,.