4 cylinder Tacoma - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 01:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Have only had to stomp on the binders once with the trailer attached and it felt comfortable, although that was on a gravel road.

I believe how you drive has a lot to do with it too!
Based on personal experience the time when you will really wish you had trailer brakes will have nothing to do with "how you drive" but how the people you share the road with drive.

The reality is you have ZERO control over what happens right in front of you when traveling at highway speeds!

The law in BC and many other provinces is that the trailer is required to have brakes if its weight is half of or more of the weight of what ever is pulling it.

The Tacoma is a VERY light truck with a curb weight of only about 3700lbs - depending on which year or model it may weigh less or a bit more. A loaded up for camping Trillium 13' is going to weigh in anywhere from 1800lbs to 2200lbs. Making it a good bet its at least half the weight or more of the trucks weight.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I too did not want to sell a perfectly-running '99 Nissan Frontier 4-cyl 5-spd manual when we got interested in camping. We bought the 13' Scamp Standard but loaded. It always weighs apx 1800 lbs on trips.

If I was pulling in flat land, I wouldnt hesitate to pull a 16' Scamp. But, I live in the "Hills of Tennessee" and I wouldnt even THINK of pulling anything larger/heavier with my Scamp. Yes, my truck is rated at 3500lbs also and my trailer weighs HALF of that nearly but I STILL would not pull a larger trailer with it. Believe me, on some of the hills I hit here, you WILL rev that little motor. That doesnt bother me until I hit some of the larger hills as well where they can be 2-3 miles worth of long climbing.

As far as automatic vs manual, I wouldnt pull with the combination I have with an automatic transmission. Someone mentioned you wont be "burning clutches"? I'd MUCH rather burn out a clutch than to strip/burn out an "automatic" and have it repaired! I also did not have to add a "cooler" with my manual shift- that tells you something there.

But, as always, this is my "experienced" take/opinion on pulling with a 4-cyl.

One final word of advice, what EVER you do, do **NOT** "lug" that 4 cyl motor!!! Keep the RPM's up and you will be fine.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #23

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Based on personal experience the time when you will really wish you had trailer brakes will have nothing to do with "how you drive" but how the people you share the road with drive.

The reality is you have ZERO control over what happens right in front of you when traveling at highway speeds!
That gets my vote for best post of the year!
I'd like to suggest, more appropriately, what happens all around you.

I once needed trailer brakes when another vehicle and I were pulling into the same lane while passing a truck on opposite sides. Me on the left, them on the right. I caught a glimpse of them almost hitting the trailer in the side mirror. My guess is that they were still looking in their side mirror to make sure they had cleared the truck. A minor corrective movement on my part started the tail wagging the dog.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:01 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

The law in BC and many other provinces is that the trailer is required to have brakes if its weight is half of or more of the weight of what ever is pulling it.

The Tacoma is a VERY light truck with a curb weight of only about 3700lbs - depending on which year or model it may weigh less or a bit more. A loaded up for camping Trillium 13' is going to weigh in anywhere from 1800lbs to 2200lbs. Making it a good bet its at least half the weight or more of the trucks weight.
LOL, back when I was in college I never would have dreamed of the day when a 3700 lb vehicle would be deemed "VERY light"... I think my Mazda GLC only weighed about 2000 lbs. It got 32 mpg, way back in the '70s! My '84 Dodge Omni probably wasn't much heavier and I towed a 13' UHaul egg about 2000 miles with it!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:09 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
LOL, back when I was in college I never would have dreamed of the day when a 3700 lb vehicle would be deemed "VERY light"... I think my Mazda GLC only weighed about 2000 lbs. It got 32 mpg, way back in the '70s! My '84 Dodge Omni probably wasn't much heavier and I towed a 13' UHaul egg about 2000 miles with it!
:lout:lout Yup looking back on the good old days is alway good for a laugh or two. I loved the Ford Pinto I learned to drive with, until one day it blowup We did not wear seat belts, babies coming home from the hospital sitting on mom's lap and dad smoked a big old cigar while driving them home. No doubt after having a few drinks with the boys to welcome the new baby. No one ever considered wearing a helmet when playing hockey or riding a bike. We always drank water from the garden hose. Mom and Dad did not have a clue as to who we were really with or where. Could not call over to the neighbours to see if the kids where there as the party line was busy! Going to a Led Zeplin or Stone's concert was always guaranteed to end up in a riot with cops on horse back and sticks and someone getting hurt. Yup those where indeed the good old days!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote