4 cylinders trend. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
4 cylinders trend.

Gas prices are setting 4 cylinders trend.
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...ot-4-cylinders
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Yeah George, this might be a factor for some of us. I pull my 17' Casita with a 6 cylinder Ford Escape and I think the TV and trailer are perfectly matched, especially since I live in Colorado where some of the hills are quite large. The new Escape is only going to available as a 4 cylinder so I guess I'll have to look elsewhere when my current vehicle wears out.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I'm wondering if there could be a possibility of putting a small turbo on a 4 cylinder, to get the gas mileage while not towing and still have the power while towing, something like the Ford Ecoboost but in 4 cylinders. From what I've read on the Ecoboost, it only gets 1 to 2 miles per gallon more than their V8 not towing, and gets around 10 to 11 towing 4500 to 6000 pounds. This isn't a shot at the Ford, I'm interested in one and did some research on owners boards. I drive a turbo VW golf and have not had or heard of any real problems with the current turbo's in most new cars/ trucks. The other possibility is finally bringing small diesels to the states.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
My Sprinter is a 5 Cylinder Turbo Diesel and gets crazy good mileage for its honking largeness!

I need to start towing with it more and take advantage of that.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
Yeah George, this might be a factor for some of us. I pull my 17' Casita with a 6 cylinder Ford Escape and I think the TV and trailer are perfectly matched, especially since I live in Colorado where some of the hills are quite large. The new Escape is only going to available as a 4 cylinder so I guess I'll have to look elsewhere when my current vehicle wears out.
The new Ford Escape offers a 2.0L ecoboost 4CYL which has more capability than the present 6CYL offering and the same 3500# tow rating.
They also offer a 1.6L ecoboost 4CYL which obviates the former hybrid.
Or you can still get the 2.5L normally aspirated 4Cyl,which is a stronger iteration of the 2.3L which pulls my 13D Scamp with alacrity.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
My Sprinter is a 5 Cylinder Turbo Diesel and gets crazy good mileage for its honking largeness!

I need to start towing with it more and take advantage of that.
Sometimes "change for the sake of change" can be a mistake.Keep your older model Sprinter since it's 6CYL replacement is not up to the task in comparison to your 5CYL.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
since I live in Colorado where some of the hills are quite large. The new Escape is only going to available as a 4 cylinder so I guess I'll have to look elsewhere when my current vehicle wears out.

We have a few hills here in BC as well I spend my winters traveling to ski hills in BC and I actually live on the side of a ski hill and have found that the more important number is not if its 4 or 6 cylinder but what the horsepower is. My 4 cylinder has never had an issue with any of the big mountain passes it has encountered not even while pulling a trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Subaru has a 4 cyl. Turbo that is advertised at 224hp and 226ft-lbs torque compared to the standard engine at 170hp and 174ft-lbs of torque. Though both listed at 2.5 ltr they are not the same engine but should be with the 2013 models. For reasons unknown to me many of the parts for the turbo model are substantially more expensive than the non turbo version. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Sometimes "change for the sake of change" can be a mistake.Keep your older model Sprinter since it's 6CYL replacement is not up to the task in comparison to your 5CYL.
The good news is that Sprinter is likely coming with 2.2l 4 cylinder diesel standard with 3l optional, the bad news is it will be in 2014. The current EU version 2.2l gets 243ft-lb and 150HP.
George.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Not trying to send this post off in the wrong direction , but frankly it doesn't matter what type of "cylinders" you choose to drive.

What matters is you find the appropriate (trailer) to be pulled by your less "cylinders". Follow the manufactures towing guidelines. And not trying to make your current trailer fit the guidelines of your new tow vehicle..........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Not trying to send this post off in the wrong direction , but frankly it doesn't matter what type of "cylinders" you choose to drive.

What matters is you find the appropriate (trailer) to be pulled by your less "cylinders". Follow the manufactures towing guidelines. And not trying to make your current trailer fit the guidelines of your new tow vehicle..........
Everybody gets an owners manual, almost nobody reads it. That's a great place to start.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Everybody gets an owners manual, almost nobody read it. That's a great place to start.
LOL isnt that the truth! Then there are those who actually have read it but don't want to believe it
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL isnt that the truth! Then there are those who actually have read it but don't want to believe it
Ya got me,...inform yourself, know your limits, then trust your own judgement.
Like I said,... "That's a great place to start."

Where do you think the eminent Ronald Reagan got the phrase...."Trust but Verify" ?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
The good news is that Sprinter is likely coming with 2.2l 4 cylinder diesel standard with 3l optional, the bad news is it will be in 2014. The current EU version 2.2l gets 243ft-lb and 150HP.
George.
Sounds about on par with an old 4.9L Ford!
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #15

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
People I have known that towed with a turbo charged gasoline engine had terrible ,results. With the turbo almost always engaged, they quickly fried the turbos.
Though I do not know the reason why, turbo diesels are fine, if not better for towing then non-turbo diesels.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Sounds about on par with an old 4.9L Ford!
Perhaps, but most likely not at 30.2 MPG (EU numbers, no urea injection here) highway.

George.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Perhaps, but most likely not at 30.2 MPG (EU numbers, no urea injection here) highway.

George.
No, but 24-25MPG was not uncommon for my Econoline with three kids and our trailer with all camping gear. The 10-20% higher diesel price would make up most of the difference, and the price difference between the two trucks would have bought the gas for the first 100,000 miles.
The point really is that many diesel buyers are blind to the fact that there are both pro and con factors to consider.
A moot point since there is nothing like either engine being offered new today.If I were to buy a Sprinter,it would fersher be a 2006 or older, and I would look for the little one.(which is still larger than i'd ever need)

Nice truck, and I hear the 4th generation Econoline may soon be replaced with something similar to the Sprinter.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
People I have known that towed with a turbo charged gasoline engine had terrible ,results. With the turbo almost always engaged, they quickly fried the turbos.
Though I do not know the reason why, turbo diesels are fine, if not better for towing then non-turbo diesels.
The turbo is always "engaged" while the engine is running. The only real problem,(on older turbos)is not running under a load so much, as it is failing to do cooldown before shutdown, which can cause the shaft on the turbo to coke-off.
Eco-boost engines are also a bit more sophisticated than those from the days of yore.
I did a turbo on an RX7 and an SVT turbo in a Pinto sedan, both cars would redline in overdrive. While neither was used for towing, each car saw triple digits regularly.
Turbos on diesels aren't always fine, the parts suppliers keep them in stock.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #19

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
We have already agreed on this in person remember?

I have never considered moving away from the T1N platform as the new version is a lot more powerful but not nearly as simple and reliable,well maybe simple is not the right way to describe them anyway.

I get around 30mpg around town with my tools in there and still over 24mpg the times I have towed.

I also drive it very conservatively and mine has been completely reliable too.

I do have the "Baby" model and a good friend has a longer and taller one that I drove Today,no comparison really.
Mine is like a sports car and his is like a giant bus?

If its not broke,do not fix it!

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote