4 or 7 pin connector? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
4 or 7 pin connector?

Hello again, I am looking at getting my Sienna wired up for an Egg but realized I dont know what the most common connector type is. Do most 13 foot eggs use a 4 pin or 7 pin connector? I want to be ready for when we find our egg. I guess if I got a 4 pin installed and found an egg using a 7 pin I could always get an adaptor. But if most 13 footers use a 7 pin I'll go ahead and get that instead.

Thanks again,
Melissa
Old 08-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Mellisa, have the 7 pin installed, you can always buy a 7 to 4 adapter that plugs into your receptical if you end up with a trailer that has a flat 4 connector.
You are limited with the flat 4 as you will only have a ground wire, left and right turn and tail lights.
You will not be able to run a brake line, charge line or backup lights if you want to in the future.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hello again, I am looking at getting my Sienna wired up for an Egg but realized I dont know what the most common connector type is. Do most 13 foot eggs use a 4 pin or 7 pin connector? I want to be ready for when we find our egg. I guess if I got a 4 pin installed and found an egg using a 7 pin I could always get an adaptor. But if most 13 footers use a 7 pin I'll go ahead and get that instead.

Thanks again,
Melissa
The four pin connector is made to supply running/taillights and brake/turnsignals only.
The seven blade RV connecter allows for the above PLUS back-up lights, a charge line for your battery AND power for trailer brakes.
It would be best to have an RV plug if you wish to supply back-up lights, battery charging and/or electric brake control from the TV.
The good news is that they make a plug for your TV which will supply both side by side with no extra wiring and about $10 extra cost. I think I have a picture let's see....

http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/full...p?LM-47185.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
escape 020.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Oh that looks awesome! So neat and tidy. Then I'd be prepared no matter what type of hookup the egg had. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Not to rain on any parades, I had my adapter stolen while we were in a store. I'm no expert but I don't think you would need an adapter for a camper because most of what I've seen are 7 pins (blades). If you did need an adapter, buy 2 and always check your connects after stopping. I got so angry after lossing the second adapter that I cut off the 4 pin plug and installed a 7 pin on my utility trailer. Next project is change the utility trailer to a 2 inch ball.
Steve DeWeese is offline   Reply With Quote