4 versus 7-pin connectors - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #21

Name: Dan and Liz
Trailer: LilSnoozy on order
Vermont
Have you looked at a Toyota Tacoma? I have a 2010 four door model with a cap on the bed. It seats four adults comfortably and five in a pinch. It's rated to tow 6500 with the factory towing package which includes a 7 pin connector. My first Tacoma made it for 279,000 miles until I sold it to my brother-in-law who is still driving it daily. My current 2010 model has 85,000 miles and runs like it is brand new. The Tacoma and Highlander are obviously different kinds of vehicles but they are close enough cousins it might be worth a look.
Dan and Liz in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie in Florida View Post
I did read that the Jeep was not the best for towing in spite of its outdoorsy reputation.
Debbie,

Jon mentioned the Jeep Grand Cherokee, which actually has a very good towing capacity; our is rated for 7,200 lbs, though some are not rated this high (see picture below for the rated towing capacities of 2017 models). I think the confusion may be because many folks debate whether the smaller Jeep Wranglers are good tow vehicles, particularly arguing whether the wheelbase is too short for proper stability when towing. (I have no opinion on that as I've never looked into it.)

Personally, I think the Hyundai Santa Fe has a lot going for it. It seems to offer a lot of value for the price and has a very good reputation for reliability. If you liked it, I can't think of a strong reason to discourage you. As folks have said, a Highlander could be fitted with the wiring you need, and these two vehicles are very similar in size and weight.

In contrast, I believe the Jeep Grand Cherokee will not be as reliable. Although it's about the same size, it's significantly heavier. So, if reliability is an important factor, you might look further into the Santa Fe and Highlander.

It's important to understand that rated towing capacities will vary widely among the same model vehicle depending on how they are equipped as illustrated in the picture below. So, I encourage you to take your time and be sure that you are getting exactly what you are looking for.

My personal opinion is that a 5,000 lb rated tow capacity is desirable if you would like to tow a Casita 17 Deluxe or similar trailer, but many people are also happy with lower tow ratings and the correspondingly lighter trailers which match those capacities.

The important thing is the match between the trailer, the tow vehicle, and the owner, so take time to be sure you are comfortable with how the three of you will get along together. I hope you find that combination!
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Grand Cherokee Towing Capacities.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:33 PM   #23

Name: Debra
Trailer: Casita 2019
FL
I have not driven a Tacoma Dan. I did not want a truck (its a truck right?). The TV will be my everyday car as well so I prefer an SUV. Your experience is quite an endorsement. I will pass on to my brother who is in the market for a truck.

Mike, thanks for the information. I test drove the Sante Fe and really like it, but have not done much research. A friend was going to give me his friends and family discount as a former Ford employee and I started looking at the Explorer. It was fine but did not seem to have the best ratings from some of the sources I consulted. I am going to check out the Sante Fe next in more detail. Perhaps I did generalize about the Jeeps based on what I read about the Wrangler.
Debbie in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:13 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I think you're doing great. Sounds like you've got two vehicles on your short list: Highlander and Santa Fe, and several you've eliminated: Explorer, Pilot, Traverse, Atlas.

That's progress!

Mike mentioned the weight of the Grand Cherokee, and that made me curious, so I did some quick checking. Here's data on a few models we've been discussing. Listed as length/width, wheelbase, curb weight. Curb weight is for an AWD V6 version and varies with options, of course.

Highlander
192.5/75.8, 109.8, 4400
Santa Fe
193.1/74.2, 110.2, 4200
Pilot
194.5/78.6, 111.0, 4285
Ford Explorer
198.7/78.9, 112.8, 4600
Kia Sorento
187.4/74.4, 109.4, 4100
Jeep Grand Cherokee
189.8/76.5, 114.7, 4625

Mike's right- the Jeep is definitely heavier than I expected, being only a 5-passenger SUV, while all the others are 7-8 passenger vehicles. That may not be all bad- stouter chassis for off-road use, maybe- hard to say. The Pilot's width would definitely make it feel larger. The Sorento is, as I expected, the most compact in the group.

There are many reasons a vehicle might feel larger or smaller not reflected in the numbers: step-in height, shape & outward visibility, seating height, etc. You'll notice the inches and pounds in local driving and parking lots, but once you get out on the highway with your trailer, comfort is what matters.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #25

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Hi All --- many of you have been responding to my technical (and non-technical) questions about TVs. I am planning to buy a 16 or 17 foot Casita but am first going to get the tow vehicle. My focus is now on a Toyota Hylander, new, so I can get the factory installed tow package and limit searching for just the right used vehicle with low milage. I will be traveling solo so reliability is especially important to me.

So, I am down to looking at the Highlander tow package and asked about how many pins the connector has since I have been told to get a 7-pin connector. The dealer researched the issue for me and advised that the Toyota only has a 4-pin --- but that is enough. His explanation follows. Please give me your advice. Thanks so much in advance.

From the dealer:

I spoke to one of our service writers and he got me some details on how the highlander equipped with the 3.5L v6 model is able to tow 5,000 lbs

You can find it on Toyota’s website here ( https://www.toyota.com/highlander/fe...6948/6950/6954) under the weights and capacity tab.

It states the following:
Heavy-duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling, supplemental transmission oil cooler and 150-amp alternator

As for the hitch and wiring, I have found out that the wiring harness that is installed with the hitch is all factory Toyota parts. The wiring harness hooks up to an input in the front for the vehicle for power. It is also a 4 pin connector. The difference between the 4 pin and 7 pin connectors isn’t much. The 4 pin is to connect break lights, turn signals, emergency lights. The 7 pin connector is the same but adds electrical input for a trailer break, which isn’t available on the Highlander and is really only used for very heavy trailer loads.

Also the 4 pin connector should work just fine for you because that connection has nothing to do with powering the interior of the travel trailer. The 4 pin and 7 pin connectors are only used for the indicator lights outside of the vehicle.
You definitely need a 7 pin connector. You need to charge your battery while driving, have trailer brakes on a trailer of that weight by law in many states, etc. The dealer is not telling the truth or is ignorant. Listen to all the ones on this site and get the 7 pin connector. You can get it added after the purchase and the installer can add the 3 additional wires that are needed.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 PM   #26

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Hi All --- many of you have been responding to my technical (and non-technical) questions about TVs. I am planning to buy a 16 or 17 foot Casita but am first going to get the tow vehicle. My focus is now on a Toyota Hylander, new, so I can get the factory installed tow package and limit searching for just the right used vehicle with low milage. I will be traveling solo so reliability is especially important to me.

So, I am down to looking at the Highlander tow package and asked about how many pins the connector has since I have been told to get a 7-pin connector. The dealer researched the issue for me and advised that the Toyota only has a 4-pin --- but that is enough. His explanation follows. Please give me your advice. Thanks so much in advance.

From the dealer:

I spoke to one of our service writers and he got me some details on how the highlander equipped with the 3.5L v6 model is able to tow 5,000 lbs

You can find it on Toyota’s website here ( https://www.toyota.com/highlander/fe...6948/6950/6954) under the weights and capacity tab.

It states the following:
Heavy-duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling, supplemental transmission oil cooler and 150-amp alternator

As for the hitch and wiring, I have found out that the wiring harness that is installed with the hitch is all factory Toyota parts. The wiring harness hooks up to an input in the front for the vehicle for power. It is also a 4 pin connector. The difference between the 4 pin and 7 pin connectors isn’t much. The 4 pin is to connect break lights, turn signals, emergency lights. The 7 pin connector is the same but adds electrical input for a trailer break, which isn’t available on the Highlander and is really only used for very heavy trailer loads.

Also the 4 pin connector should work just fine for you because that connection has nothing to do with powering the interior of the travel trailer. The 4 pin and 7 pin connectors are only used for the indicator lights outside of the vehicle.
A 16 or 17 ft Casita has trailer brakes and you have to have a 7 pin connector for them. They are to heavy to tow by law without the brakes working. Our friends had work done on their 5ht wheel and their brakes wore out in a short while and also overheated when going over mountains. Found our when the work was done they failed to hook up the brakes so the truck was their only brakes. Don't pull a trailer without brakes. Our connector didn't connect good once and I could tell when I hit the brakes that something was wrong. Pulled off the road and fixed it immediately.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:37 AM   #27

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
I would spend a little more ($40-50) and make sure to put in a Proportional Brake Controller (They cost ~$100 if purchased speratly) instead of the Time Delay Brake Controller most dealerships put in.

Some info on the difference.

https://www.truckspring.com/blog/pos...ke-controllers
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:08 AM   #28
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I would suggest while at the dealer you test drive the pickup. The opportunity is there and you might find you like it. A double cab pickup with a bed cover will do most things an SUV will do and is designed to tow. Also most folks towing a Casita 17 seem to have a weight distribution hitch. A device not recommended on many SUVs.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #29

FL
Great advice from all of you --- thank you. In particular Jon, thanks for doing that research for me and for the encouragement. And Raz, you are right. I should at least drive a truck. I think I will look at the Jeep too after all this. I went to the dealer one day but did not test drive. Time for a return visit. Good thing I am retired.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:25 AM   #30

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Our tow vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma access cab. It has two jump seats in the back which the grand kids have used around town. I picked the access cab because I wanted a larger bed area, but also wanted some in truck storage. I also have a cap on it. Its a great tow vehicle. I get 15 mpg towing my 19 ft Hilo.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #31

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Agree with Glenn. If you like the Highlander AND you can find one with the factory tow package, buy it. The small extra trouble finding an installer for the hitch and wiring will be soon forgotten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
No trouble, and cheaper by several hundred dollars in my experience. Toyota wanted $950 for their Class II hitch receiver ( which wasn't beefy enough for WDH ). Brake controller and 7-pin wiring was extra.
The installer that the dealer used charged me $650 for a superior hitch receiver and all the wiring.
I doubt many dealers would do that, Glenn. Most people would be left to locate an independent hitch installer on their own, check out its reputation, arrange an appointment, etc. So yes, extra trouble.

But yes, usually cheaper than dealer-installed towing equipment, and worth it in the long run if the vehicle otherwise meets your requirements.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:29 AM   #32

FL
Carl does the Tacoma come with a 7-pin connector or did you have to adapt it? Thanks for the information.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #33

Syracuse, NY
Debbie, Yes, it comes with the 7 pin connector, however the wire size for the trailer feed is quite small. I added a 10 awg wire for the power feed to the trailer. Also note that the truck is rated to haul 6500 lbs. (verify this with the dealer) You have to make sure it has the towing package, but I think most of the trucks on the lot have it.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #34

Syracuse, NY
Debbie, One other thing. You will have to install a brake controller. Perhaps the dealer can do this and certainly an aftermarket place can.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #35

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
At the risk of summarizing the obvious… but to put it all in one post...

4 pin connector
Brake lights, running lights, turn signals.

7 pin connector
Brake light, running lights, turn signals, brake activation, trailer battery charge, backup lights.

Having the 7 pin connector doesn’t mean you have the means to activate the brakes. It just means you have the pins available to control the brakes.

Generally you have to buy a brake controller to activate the trailer brakes. The brake controller needs to be electrically connected between the pedal and the trailer brakes.

Many domestic auto manufacturers, as part of their trailer tow package, will leave an empty socket in the tow vehicle’s wiring harness (found over the brake pedals in my Ford tow vehicle). The brake controller manufacturer offers a number of common wiring adapters between the controller and the tow vehicle wiring harness connector. This is the easiest situation other than the part of having to lay on your back with your head stuck under the dashboard. (Find-a-friend is a sensible idea.)

If your tow vehicle doesn’t have a brand specific adapter or if there isn’t a receptacle wired in, the brake controller will offer a generic connector that someone can wire in manually. I would be inclined to farm this out so they “own” the error proofing.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Also most folks towing a Casita 17 seem to have a weight distribution hitch. A device not recommended on many SUVs.
Once again, Toyota does not recommend a WDH ( on my RAV4 ). I pursued the issue with Toyota and was told I could use a WDH, it's just that they don't recommend any particular brand.
My dealer checked the install on my 2008 RAV4 recently and reported all is well.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #37
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Once again, Toyota does not recommend a WDH ( on my RAV4 ). I pursued the issue with Toyota and was told I could use a WDH, it's just that they don't recommend any particular brand.
My dealer checked the install on my 2008 RAV4 recently and reported all is well.
Does the owners manual say not to do it? Did you get the ok in writing? Does it apply to other Toyota SUVs? Will other dealers honor the warranty if there is an issue? I'm glad it's working for you but I'm very cautious when it comes to Toyota and trailers. When I bought my Turdra and looked to Toyota for help connecting electric brakes, they told me if I did, it would void my warranty. This is on a truck rated to tow over 5000 lbs. That's one reason I now own a Nissan.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #38

Arizona
Registry
My Pilot owner's manual says "use of a weight distributing hitch is not recommended because improper adjustment could affect steering and braking." One can infer that a properly adjusted WDH is not a problem. However, the receiver on my '11 is integrated into the rear frame of the vehicle and is not rated for WDH.

Newer Pilots use a bolt-on receiver, so finding and installing one rated for WDH shouldn't be a problem. That may mean going aftermarket rather than using the one supplied by the dealer. Same for the Highlander, Santa Fe, and Sorento.

Ford will install a WDH-rated hitch on the Explorer as part of the Class III tow package.

To repeat, I only see WDH as necessary for a Casita 17.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #39
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

To repeat, I only see WDH as necessary for a Casita 17.
Just to be clear, I'm not sure a WDH is necessary with a Casita 17. I've just noticed that most Casita 17's I've seen were towed by trucks and had a WDH.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Does the owners manual say not to do it? Did you get the ok in writing?
The owner's manual does not say not to do it. It says they do not recommend a WDH. There is a difference.
Took me six years to get a response from Toyota. They phoned me. Nothing in writing. I'm sure they are very careful.