5th wheel hitch for bumpy roads - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
5th wheel hitch for bumpy roads

How may I soften the 3 axis sudden loads on the gooseneck when driving on bumpy roads ? Trailer saver or Rota-Flex only soften the ride on the Z axis.
George Chomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #2

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
I'm using the Andersen Ultimate for my Escape 5.0TA that works well wherever I have towed it. There is almost no play in hitch whatsoever, and will pivot in any direction.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:20 PM   #3

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
What are you pulling and what is your current set up? You mention 5th wheel and gooseneck.

I’ve got a scamp 19 which is a bit of neither. We replaced the 2” standard hitch with a 2 5/8” bulldog. We are using the Reese’s fifth week frame in the back of the truck with a custom plate for the ball. It’s a pretty simple setup and easy to move in and out with the standard rails.

We had miles of bumpy roads on a recent trip to Yellowstone and never even thought about the hitch. Maybe I was just too busy praying for my tires. What sort of trouble are you having?
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #4

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
I'm using the Andersen Ultimate for my Escape 5.0TA that works well wherever I have towed it. There is almost no play in hitch whatsoever, and will pivot in any direction.
Cliff, we're also using the Andersen Ultimate Hitch for our Bigfoot and it's been great. Zero play in any condition and is very very quiet. We agree that the Ultimate hitch is really great and enables me to retain my gooseneck configuration for pulling a stock trailer as well. Quick and easy to change and I love it!
Old 07-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #5

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
with a 2 5/8” bulldog. We are using the Reese’s fifth week frame in the back
2 5/16”

wheel

Not my worst mistakes this afternoon.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Like Bill & Laura, we're pulling our '89 Bigfoot 5er with the rail mount Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch. We use the rails that the truck's previous owner had installed. Have to say -- it's a DREAM! We used to kind of dread hooking up but now, it's so easy plus it pulls really smoothly and doesn't clank around or make much noise at all. And did I mention that it's easy to move around, in, and out of the truck bed? We were completely new to 5th wheels when we got our Bigfoot and came across the Anderson by mistake. We're so glad we did!