5th wheel hitch options? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #1

Name: ken
Trailer: scamp
California
5th wheel hitch options?

Just purchased new Nissan Frontier to pull my 5th wheel Scamp and want to replace hitch I was using on the old Ford Ranger. Like the looks of the new hitch setup that Scamp is selling but turned off by price. Over $600.00 when I factor in shipping! Wondering what others have used other than the Scamp and how much it has set you back. I've considered taking the truck to a local hitch shop and asking them for an estimate to build one. Has anyone on this forum done this and if so how is it working out? Thanks Ken Dowd
kenneth dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
When i purchased my Scamp 5er just a year ago, I installed the old style Scamp hitch, as it came with the trailer. I wasn't sure that is what I wanted, but it was the cheapest at the time. I have come to find out that I like it as there is room to slide a table under the hitch as well as a roll of carpet that I carry. I then put most of the small stuff, that we take, in plastic totes with locking clips. Those go in the front of the bed and get lashed in with bungy cords. I also feel comfortable carrying my camp stove and grill behind the hitch, bungyed in place. We seem to have plenty of room for all the stuff we want carry. Having the space under the hitch is useful and the only way we would be able to carry our table.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
What is the pin (or hitch) weight of a Scamp 19? The reason I ask is because the cargo capacity of my Frontier is about 1100 pounds. The pin weight of my Escape 5.0 is about 600 pounds which doesn't leave much leftover for passengers and gear carried in the truck's bed.
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTim View Post
What is the pin (or hitch) weight of a Scamp 19?
According to http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html, the 5 Scamp 19' "5th wheel" trailers weighed ranged from 560 to 700 pounds hitch weight, relatively comparable to your Escape..
Old 11-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
According to http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/trailer-weights-in-the-real-world-43010.ck just because it will fit., the 5 Scamp 19' "5th wheel" trailers weighed ranged from 560 to 700 pounds hitch weight, relatively comparable to your Escape..
Thanks. So that leaves about 4—500 pounds of passengers and cargo before the cargo capacity gets maxed out on the Frontiers.

By the way, I checked the cargo capacities of several variations of F150s and they're not much more than the ~1100 pound capacity of the Frontier.

My point is be careful thinking we can carry a bunch of stuff in the bed of the truck just because there's space for it. Carrying almost anything in the truck might cause the cargo capacity to be exceeded.
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
I tow my 19 Scamp with a 4 cyl Tacoma. We built a hitch to use with the composite bed of Tacoma, We used the bows of a Reese 5th wheel hitch and pin them to standard Reese rails. We used bolts to frame of truck, We welded plate steel together and mounted a standard ball in the center.
It works great
Attached Thumbnails
5th wheel hitch composit bed 004.jpg  
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #7

Registry
this is hopefully a bit more helpful
Attached Thumbnails
phpBPH1qFPM.jpg   phplqPqLfPM.jpg  

Old 12-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #8

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Taylor,

The 2014 Tacoma comes with either the standard 5 foot (60 inch) bed or a 6 foot (73.5 inch) "long bed". Can you get the weight of a 5th wheel camper sufficiently over the rear axle in a standard 5 foot bed without having the front corners of the camper bust out the rear window of the truck, or do you need to go with the 6 foot bed to be safe?

Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #9

Registry
my truck is 73.5 and it works great , I am centered over the rear wheels. The distance from the trailer hitch to front of trailer is about 12". Go to Toyota and see what the distance is from rear axle to back of cab is.
Good Luck
Old 02-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: shopping
Alabama
What is the deck height requirement for the Scamp 5er?
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Not sure what you mean by deck height requirements. If you order new from Scamp, they will raise the camper if truck bed is too high. Generally, there are a few inches of up/down adjustment in the hitch. However, I believe they deliver 5ers with a Ford Ranger. But if you have a pickup truck, it may take some alteration, but adjustments can be made.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #12

Alabama
The height of the floor of a pickup truck. I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 and you almost need a stepladder to get into the bed. I wonder what would happen if buying a used Scamp 19?
Old 03-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #13

Florida
Registry
John,
My F150 needs a Saturn 5 to reach the floor of the bed. I bought new from Scamp. They put a spacer between the frame and the axle to get the proper height. You might want to contact Jared J on this forum (do a search for Jared J, then send him a Private Message). He has done extensive modification to his 5er and is most helpful. He can probably tell you what needs to be done if the 5er you buy used is "height challenged." Most of the new pickups are getting increasingly higher in the bed.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #14

Alabama
How long was the wait for delivery of your 5er?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #15

Florida
Registry
Ordered in January 2012 for pick-up in June of 2012. They didn't start building it until late March, but it was ready in early June as promised. It really depends on how busy they are. Had to order one because I couldn't find what I wanted on the pre-owned market.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #16

Alabama
Any pictures? I should give them a call and find out what their production schedule is like.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #17

Florida
Registry
John,
I find pictures really don't provide the same perspective as seeing a trailer up close and personal. You might ask Scamp if there are any owners near you who might show you their camper. I see you are in Alabama. Where in Alabama? Depending on how much of a rush you are in, I will be in the Huntsville area in early June. But even if you can find someone with a 13 or 16 footer, it will give you a good idea as to the construction and suitability of Scamps. If you are wanting a 5er, you may also want to investigate the Escape.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #18

Alabama
We are in Mobile, Al. I've seen one from a short distance in a campground in Glacier NP, but didn't want to disturb the owners. I've been fascinated by them ever since. I'll ask them if they know of any in the area. There was nor for sale about 3 hours from here.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
John
The Green Eggs and Ham meet will be Montgomery Al. in a week and a half. It's put on by mostly Casita owners but I know some Scamps will be there, at least 2 S-16SD. I'm not taking my 5er but there may be one there. They have a thread going on the Casita site, you could ask over there if a 5er will be there.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #20

Florida
Registry
John,
Can't speak for everyone, but most owners are usually happy to show their campers. There are also several Scamp/Casita/etc. rallies where you can see several different models, as well as the modifications they have made to "customize" their trailers. If you want to discuss the 5er in detail, if you want to PM me your phone number and a time that is convenient, I will call you tomorrow.