5th Wheel Hitch Related Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
5th Wheel Hitch Related Question

I'm new to owning and towing a trailer so I expect this will be the first of many questions I will have for you all. Last June I purchased a Bigfoot fifth wheel and it has taken me till now to find my tow vehicle - a 2002 Tundra with a 6 foot bed. The next step for me is to figure out whether the hitch that came with the trailer will work with my truck but I'll take that on next week.

Tonight I'm just wondering if I'll need to remove the nice diamond plate lock box that came with the truck. I've never noticed anyone pulling a fifth wheel with a lock box in their truck bed. Will there be room for that and a hitch too?

Oh, and if you are in the Seattle area and have a recommendation for a great place to buy a hitch and/or have one installed, please share.
JES8425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #2

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Yes, it will have to be removed if you plan on turning very much. I highly doubt you will even clear the cab, let alone a toolbox. I would bet there's a 98% chance you'll need a slider hitch. I extended the hitch on my scamp, which is close to, if not 2' narrower than your trailer, and I still come quite close to hitting the cab with a 6.5' bed.

Easiest way is to find the spot in your bed right above your axle. Now measure at least 3" ahead of that, at minimum. That's where your kingpin will be. Now measure the width of your trailer. You should have that distance (well, more) from the spot 3" ahead of your axle to your cab. If not, you'll need a slider hitch.

I'm sure somebody on here will argue that, and here's my reply: I hope you have a low insurance deductible.

That one time, after a long day, a few flat tires, a hard campsite, you being frustrated, and then smashing the crap out of your truck and trailer will make a slider hitch VERY cheap.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote