7 way round on 13' scamp?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
7 way round on 13' scamp??

I just bought my first Scamp and know that they usually have a 4 way flat plug, which I prefer.
Why would someone put a 7 way round on it? If I want to convert it back, which wires can I eliminate? I am assuming it was done to charge the house battery, which isn't necessary for me.
Thanks all.
Jack
jackdionwheeler@msn.com
jackdionwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdionwheeler View Post
I just bought my first Scamp and know that they usually have a 4 way flat plug, which I prefer.
Why would someone put a 7 way round on it? If I want to convert it back, which wires can I eliminate? I am assuming it was done to charge the house battery, which isn't necessary for me.
Thanks all.
Jack
jackdionwheeler@msn.com
The 7 way connector is required for brakes, highly recommended, charge line, and backup lights. Did I say brakes are highly recommended, ok, repeat. Brakes are highly recommended, if not already there. If there you may be required to have them connected, at least in Oregon you do.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Rather than cut wires, why not buy an adaptor? I first towed our Scamp with a van that had only the flat-4 set-up, so I put an adaptor on the trailer end. When I traded the van for a Pilot, it came with the 7-way from the factory and I was set to go.

BTW - the 7-way has been factory-spec for a while.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My 26 year old Scamp has always had a seven pin round, but then again it's always had brakes. Sounds like you've got brakes too. Why not use them!?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #5

Washington
Makes sense now

Thanks all! Never thought about the brakes as they are not required here, but makes sense now.
I have tried to find an adaptor without luck. My trailer has the male 7 way round. If there is a 7 to 4 flat adaptor please send me info!!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #6

Washington
Found an adaptor just down the road! Thanks all
Jack
Old 07-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
They make adapters for 4 pin to 7 blade but they are not considered safe so not everyplace will carry them. Assumption is if trailer has 7 pin it may have brakes so should not be hooked to 4 pin tow vehicle which won't provide wire for the brakes.

Not suggesting that it is not suitable solution just that the cost of getting tow set up with 7 blade and purchase of a 7 blade to 4 pin adapter for utility trailer use is a good option.

I'm guessing around $50 to get tow vehicle converted to 7 pin. Plus cost of 7 pin female plug on TV. So pretty inexpensive and would probably add value to your tow vehicle.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp