96 Ford Explorer brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2008, 12:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 1998 16 ft Scamp
Since picking up our Scamp I've had to do a little work on the tow rig. We have a 96 Ford Explorer with the 4 litre v6. I replaced the rear brakes and bearings. This has the "drum emergency brake inside the rotor" so you have to pull the axles to change the linings" . Pull the differential cover and remove pin locking bolt and pin. Push the axle in toward the diferential and remove keeper clips. Remove axles. You'll need a slide-hammer to get the bearing race out. I used the seal/bearing replacement all in one that has an offset so the bearings ride on a fresh part of the axle. I put the bearing in the freezer before driving it in "cool tip" . If you attempt this remember one thing...do not turn the axle with the keeper pin out or the spider gears will fall...i was able to put it back together but it was a practice in patience...Replace brakes and put axles back in...be careful with the seal as you do that. replace clips, keeper pin and locking bolt. I finished the job in about a day and a half...new pads, linings, spring kit, bearings, oil, rotors under $300.00. We took the trailer out and everything works fine....If you're handy with a wrench this isn't too difficult...i recommend a chilton auto repair manual and following all of the safety procedures for this job.

As luck would have it my class III hitch from etrailer showed up the next morning before i lowered the explorer and put the spare tire back in so I was able to install it no problem.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
047.JPG   053.JPG  

062.JPG   064.JPG  

068.JPG   060.JPG  

dave, a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #2

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Great pictures! Wow, my XLT (The black bat) is a '92 and needed new rear drum brakes but fortunately I got a nephew, Bob, who knows cars. While I'm watching him do the job I'm thinking this is as close to brain surgery as it gets! So many springs, so little space.

He also found a leaking axle seal so like you, had to open up the differential cover to replace it. Brain Surgery!!!! Fortunately, the bearings were good.

My Hat's off!!
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Thanks for the post!

I was able to get the genuine Ford Service Manual CD on EBay for my model year for less than $10 -- Exactly the same CD the parts guy at the Ford Store uses -- Has all the wiring diagrams.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_fromZR46?...d&_osacat=0

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_dmptZMoto...d&_osacat=0

A tip for those of us who don't do this every day is to take digital photos as you are taking things apart so you can see how they should go back together, esp brake springs!

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #4

Trailer:
Quote:
A tip for those of us who don't do this every day is to take digital photos as you are taking things apart so you can see how they should go back together, esp brake springs!
Easier said than done - as that brake spring whistles past my ear and continues on into a low earth orbit, I tend to be blinking rather than hurriedly reaching for the camera.

Oh....., you mean take the photos before trying to remove the brake springs....

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:58 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The old way, of course, was to only do one wheel at a time so the other was still correct.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes