A "keeping the wheel on" question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A "keeping the wheel on" question

The brake drum on my axle is held in place with a castle nut directly against the wheel bearing and kept from turning with a cotter pin. I've noticed there are other ways of doing this. In some cases they add a washer between the castle nut and the bearing. Sometimes the hole in the washer is D shaped to fit a flat on the spindle and keep it from turning. Sometimes instead of a cotter pin, a tang is used to hold the castle nut. Is there a reason a manufacturer might choose one method over another? Is the same method always used on a particular axle? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
The brake drum on my axle is held in place with a castle nut directly against the wheel bearing and kept from turning with a cotter pin. I've noticed there are other ways of doing this. In some cases they add a washer between the castle nut and the bearing. Sometimes the hole in the washer is D shaped to fit a flat on the spindle and keep it from turning. Sometimes instead of a cotter pin, a tang is used to hold the castle nut. Is there a reason a manufacturer might choose one method over another? Is the same method always used on a particular axle? Raz
I think the EZ lube needs the D shaped spindle.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
To throw another loop, there are also nuts that have screw holes drilled and threaded in them. A washer goes on the outside of the nut, keyed to the spindle, with holes drilled in it. Line up a set of holes, put two screws in 180* apart. My personal favorite, my nissan has this. It gives more options. sometimes with a castellated nut, one seems loose, and the next feels too tight. I always err on the tight setting, bearings will only loosen up.

I don't think it matters much how it's done, really.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Just the manufacturers choice in my opinion. You'll find double nuts with a flat tab washer between them, bend the tab over to lock them, on big trucks and trailers, plus another variation with a inner nut with a pin on the face then a washer with holes and an outer nut. For small trailers I like the castle nut along with the washer with the flat in it but many trailers don't use the washer, just the nut right against the bearing.i won't even get in to a discussion about just how to adjust a wheel bearing, or grease them for that matter, everyone has their own opinion on that.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post

I think the EZ lube needs the D shaped spindle.
The EZ lube has a hole in the center, so cotter pin would allow the grease to leak out when pressurized.