abnormal tire wear on Scamp 16 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post

Carol: I use a trailer manufacturer here north of Seattle, and Kent at Scamp seemed ok with them, but he did not actually recommend them. They have the trailer in their queue.

I've also heard back from Lippert, the axle manufacturer, but so far it seems to be only the stock canned email responses, requesting more info and pictures. Lippert wanted a picture of the leaf springs...(seriously). I sure hope this can be fixed with an alignment/bearing/balancing adjustment.
As long you are comfortable that the shop is a good one thats the important part and hopefully Scamp has indicated they will cover it if it turns out to be a trailer warranty issue. If the shop determines it to be an axle issue hopefully they will also be good enough to supply the axle manufacture with the info they have requested back. Most good shops will when dealing with warranty type issues.

Hopefully its not actually the axle though and something much simpler to deal with.

Does anyone know when Scamp actually started using Lippert axle's?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #22

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
Roger: That's one of the reasons I'm frustrated: my Scamp doesn't have leaf springs, but the axle people seem to think it does. I'd have thought they could tell from the serial number that it's a torsion axle. They probably aren't paying much attention yet. I'm going to wait until I get a verdict from the local trailer shop.

Chuck
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #23

Washington
As it turns out, according to the shop the axle and alignment are within specs, if not perfect. That brings us back around to the tire. Kent is sending me out a new one. I'll take the damaged one and the new one to Les Schwab and ask them to mount the new tire and look at the old one and see if there is anything else to be learned.

Meanwhile, I'll keep a close eye on the the tires.

cg
Old 06-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
I had a '77 Jeep Cherokee that ate tires. The right tire outside corner wore down to the belts! Luckily we were at a rest stop when I noticed it and put the spare one. The alignment shop said that Jeeps couldn't be aligned (I think it was camber) because of the solid axle.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #25

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
How long did it take to put on 5,000 miles? If it was 4 or more years, it's probably not worth it to fix whatever it is that is causing the tire to wear out.

Old tires, whether they look 'old' or not, are just as dangerous as bald tires.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #26

Washington
The whole rig was brand-spankin' new last October 15th!
Old 07-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #27

Washington
could this be the issue?

Click image for larger version

Name:	bent axle.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	86469

The wheels are off the trailer and it's blocked up under the frame just behind the wheels, so there is no weight on the hubs. There is about 1/4"-3/8" of gap between the axle and the straightedge there in the middle of the axle. Is that normal? Could that be the cause of the wear I'm seeing on the tire (see the first post in this thread)?

What do you think?

[no idea why the second pix comes out upside down]
Attached Thumbnails
bent axle 2.jpg  
Old 07-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #28

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Chuck, the axles are "bent" by a machine to align the axle. Take it to a trailer axle alignment shop to have them "tweek" it. Make sure you bring in the worn tires for them to inspect.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #29

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I believe that is normal "Camber" built into the axle by the MFG. It's common in all of the ridged trailer axles I have ever worked with. Think about what the back wheels of an old VW Beetle looks like.

Check with the mfg and ask how much "Space" should be in the middle of the straight edge.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #30

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I've been reading this thread with great interest and have to ask a few questions out of sheer curiosity. First off, I was under the impression that it is normal for the torsion axle (like my Dexter 2200 lb) to be sort of bowed in the middle? I don't know why?

Second, I've read here about alignment. Is aligning a trailer the same as one gets for a vehicle? That is to have the proper camber and tow? Then is getting a trailer aligned something one does when it is observed that it's dog legging or not towing right, or in this case, eating tires? Or is this a periodic maintenance thing one should just "do." I also am not sure if some stickies have torsion axles...doubt if many RV shops around here would have any experience at all with a FG trailer.

One gets a vehicle aligned here in NY more often than desired due to horrific winters and the aftermath of pot holes (ouch) fallen into in spring. Vehicle starts pulling one way or another...yuck.

Another question: does/should one rotate tires on a trailer after so many miles (like one does with a vehicle, every couple of oil changes or so)?

Thank you very much for the post and the opportunity for learning that it brings, but I am sorry for your tire troubles. I hope it's nothing too serious or expensive and that all will be well soon.

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:44 PM   #31

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I've been reading this thread with great interest and have to ask a few questions out of sheer curiosity. First off, I was under the impression that it is normal for the torsion axle (like my Dexter 2200 lb) to be sort of bowed in the middle? I don't know why?

Second, I've read here about alignment. Is aligning a trailer the same as one gets for a vehicle? That is to have the proper camber and tow? Then is getting a trailer aligned something one does when it is observed that it's dog legging or not towing right, or in this case, eating tires? Or is this a periodic maintenance thing one should just "do." I also am not sure if some stickies have torsion axles...doubt if many RV shops around here would have any experience at all with a FG trailer.

A lot of trailers have torsion axles. If your trailer is dog legging the axle has moved out of alignment on the frame on one side from square to the tongue. As far as camber and tow, it can be knocked out by hitting a curb or a good hole, bummer.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #32

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you Dave. So, if there were no axle issues, such as in dog legging, if you simply had an issue of camber or tow in/out, might the trailer tow in a certain way to alert you that something is amiss?

Also, if one goes to an rv shop, do they correct camber or tow to Scamp's specs, or the specs called for by the Dexter axle?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp