About to do a DIY Sway Control install - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2007, 06:57 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
After all this interesting discussion, we want to know how the installation turned out, Gina.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It won't be done until Thursday...

stay tuned.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #23

Registry
I am very happy to report..

The sway control makes a world of difference. Takes about 15 seconds to hook up, most of that lifting it into place!

They actually ended up HAVING to weld the ball plate on, as the screws that were supplied actually stripped.. the screw threads, NOT the frame. He thinks the frame is chromally, which is hard stuff!

I traveled 150 miles across one of the windy est areas of so. cal.. right straight across the mojave on the backside of the mountians.. was passed by big rigs and felt barely a wiggle.

When they say it makes car and trailer act as one vehicle, it is true. Sure felt nice and was MUCH less work to keep the rig stationary.

Unfortunately, they didn't get to painting the welds as I had to take off! I will grab a can of spray paint at wally world and do it myself tomorrow, probably..

anyway.. sway control... A+!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:47 AM   #24
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Umm, don't forget to do your weights and balance stuf at a scale.

If your sway control is making a difference in regular towing then likely something can be improved and now the sway control has made it seem to go away.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #26

Registry
That'll have to "weight" (I am in my room) until I get to Oregon.

I did get rid of one more bin of basically duplicate tools, and I am traveling without my big solar array..did some weight redistribution... all that before the sway bar went on.

I wish I had the big array at the moment.. I seem to have a totally flat battery.. 5 hours of driving did ZIP to charge it.. I'll have to pick up a new one and worry about this one later. (Thats another threa... yes, I have checked.. I have nothing drawing, and the fridge is OFF 12v, have power coming from my smaller panel and the charge line is fine.. battery is NOT boiled.. at 105 where I was when I stopped, I am not going to spend a ton of time chasing it..)
Old 07-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'm going to presume that you are using the same solar charge controller with either panel and it has the circuitry (usually a diode) to keep the panel from using the battery to return the energy to the sky at night (which would be drawing down the battery).

After the battery is recharged, do the 'pull fuses in dim light to see which one arcs and sparks' trick...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #28

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
They actually ended up HAVING to weld the ball plate on, as the screws that were supplied actually stripped.. the screw threads, NOT the frame. He thinks the frame is chromally, which is hard stuff!

Cheesy self-tapping screws!

Glad to hear it turned out well, Gina.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote