Adding Brakes 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2021, 04:05 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 13' Scamp
Minnesota
Adding Brakes 13' Scamp

I think I want to add brakes to a 2002 13' Scamp (somebody here told me it was a good idea) and I have a few ignorant questions:
Is a 2002 13' approaching time for an replacement axle? Should I do that at the same time?
Will Scamp do both upgrades for me, or is this something I could do myself? I have done work on my car, but its been years... and I lack confidence and enthusiasm.
Scamp told me brakes are $120 per side, controller is a key fob, axle is $495, not sure if that includes install, besides axle is not in stock.
What do those who have more experience think?
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:51 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Being as close as you are, yes, I would do the new 0-degree axle with 10” brakes from Scamp. It will give you a nice 2-3” increase in ride height. I’d probably pass on the key fob controller in favor of a wired unit that hangs on your dash (unless there are issues with placement or wiring). Have the car wired before you take the trailer to Scamp so you can test and adjust the new brakes before you leave Backus.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:06 PM   #3

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I'm in the same situation with my 1977 and I'm having a REAL tough time with Scamp trying to figure out just what axle they have on their website and what I need to add to get brakes.

I've asked a few times via e-mail and called on the phone and it seems I keep getting someone who doesn't have the experience to know how to answer my questions.

I asked if it was a leading or trailing-arm axle and he didn't know.
I asked for brake recommendations since they are out of stock on the brakes and he couldn't give me any.

I did get that it's a 22-degree down arm, and it seems that as a leading-arm that would be a bit crazy if I have brakes also. Who knows.

So, I'm a bit reluctant to go with Scamp for the axle, and I'm thinking of contacting theuniversalgroup.com and specifying a Flexi-ride axle instead.

Let us know if you make any progress and I'll let you know about my Flexi-ride experience.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #4
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Being as close as you are, yes, I would do the new 0-degree axle with 10” brakes from Scamp. It will give you a nice 2-3” increase in ride height. I’d probably pass on the key fob controller in favor of a wired unit that hangs on your dash (unless there are issues with placement or wiring). Have the car wired before you take the trailer to Scamp so you can test and adjust the new brakes before you leave Backus.
For your information, Scamp gives you the remote key fob which works the controller they install in the front closet of the Scamp when they put on the axel with the electric brakes, so I have it but I did ask Scamp about a remote that I could have in the car, I asked about the Tekonsah (wired unit connects under the dash) which is about $72 on Amazon. They said that is one would work.
My Volvo has a 4 pin connector, which doesn't work the brakes, so I'm looking at a UTube video which explains the 7 pin.

5 Lug (5×4.5) replacement axle with brakes for 13ft Scamp Trailers 1971-2002
$495.00

Out of stock
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:04 AM   #5

Name: William
Trailer: 13' Perris Pacer
California
Anyone have any experience or recommendations on surge brakes?
mchalewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalewj View Post
Anyone have any experience or recommendations on surge brakes?
Yes.. Avoid.

Edit: Avoid surge brakes. Use electric with proportional controller.
(On our camping trailers).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:23 AM   #7

Name: William
Trailer: 13' Perris Pacer
California
"Yes.. Avoid."

????????????
mchalewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 1990 13 ft Scamp / 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Registry
Putting this axle on an older Scamp will necessitate the purchase of five new wheels, since the old ones are 4-lug. In addition, you will have to fabricate a new spare-tire carrier, since the bolts won't match the new wheels. I understand that some custom fitting is also necessary, since the new axles are trailing arm, and the old ones are leading arm.
Conrad S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:47 PM   #9
MJo

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffminnesota View Post
I think I want to add brakes to a 2002 13' Scamp (somebody here told me it was a good idea) and I have a few ignorant questions:
Is a 2002 13' approaching time for an replacement axle? Should I do that at the same time?
Will Scamp do both upgrades for me, or is this something I could do myself? I have done work on my car, but its been years... and I lack confidence and enthusiasm.
Scamp told me brakes are $120 per side, controller is a key fob, axle is $495, not sure if that includes install, besides axle is not in stock.
What do those who have more experience think?
you can email Scamp @ parts@scamptrailers.com and get some answers. they’ve been answering my dumb questions ever since I brought my Scamp home, they’re very helpful. I like to get answers from the horse’s mouth. Of course, if I had a horse, I wouldn’t have a Scamp !! (forgive me, I’m doing my taxes.).
Old 03-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Amerigo
Wisconsin
Find out how it will cost to put the correct wiring and brake controller on your tow vehicle. My newer fullsize Ford van was well over 2k.
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad S. View Post
Putting this axle on an older Scamp will necessitate the purchase of five new wheels, since the old ones are 4-lug. In addition, you will have to fabricate a new spare-tire carrier, since the bolts won't match the new wheels. I understand that some custom fitting is also necessary, since the new axles are trailing arm, and the old ones are leading arm.
You can order a new axle with 4-lub hubs if you don't want to change wheels and modify the spare mount. And you can still do leading or trailing, though if you want to increase arm angle for more ground clearance, then you will need to switch to trailing. You can also choose a welded or bolted installation.

If you do switch to 5-lug it would be three new wheels, not five, since it's a single axle trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:41 PM   #12
MJo

Massachusetts
Scamp put the controller in the Scamp. My problem is that I have a Volvo hitch with a 4 pin cable. The Scamp has a 7 connector because of the electric brakes. I have the remote Scamp supplied for the controller. What I am missing is power to the electric brakes. I think it’s possible, taking power from a tail light, putting on a fuse and connecting that to the blue wire on the 7 point connector from the Scamp and put the white ground wire on the frame of the car. I have a 7 connector part to replace the 4 pin, that has a pigtail with the necessary wires to connect. I just need someone who knows about connecting the 4 to a 7 so I don’t blow something. That would be expensive.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: Amerigo
Wisconsin
Since you are changing axle and may want brakes be sure to get axle with the tabs welded on for mounting the backing plate.
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:17 PM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Putting this axle on an older Scamp will necessitate the purchase of five new wheels, since the old ones are 4-lug. ...
So is that two one the axle and three spares? Then you have to also fabricate three spare tire holders (or throw them all in the back of the pickup).
Old 03-24-2021, 06:17 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigangelman View Post
Since you are changing axle and may want brakes be sure to get axle with the tabs welded on for mounting the backing plate.
Actually you just get the axle with the brakes installed.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:25 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
... What I am missing is power to the electric brakes. I think it’s possible, taking power from a tail light, putting on a fuse and connecting that to the blue wire on the 7 point connector from the Scamp and put the white ground wire on the frame of the car.
Bad idea.. very likely you will overload the lighting circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
I have a 7 connector part to replace the 4 pin, that has a pigtail with the necessary wires to connect. I just need someone who knows about connecting the 4 to a 7 so I don’t blow something. That would be expensive.
Yes you need someone to do it right, and progress for you seems to be very slow. Might I suggest you find a few trailer shops in your area.. U-haul, even Camping World if you must.. get detailed work orders from them on how they would set up your rig. The come back here and post them so they can be evaluated.

You might also go to some Volvo specific forums and see what you can find out about towing with your vehicle. I suspect very few people tow with a Volvo so there might not be many or any here.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:51 PM   #17

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I suspect very few people tow with a Volvo so there might not be many or any here.
I tow with a 2004 Volvo V70 wagon

What's the question?
Where do I get a +12 Volt ignition-on source to power the brake-controller on the trailer?
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I tow with a Volvo.

What's the question?
Where do I get a +12 Volt ignition-on source to power the brake-controller on the trailer?
No, she has the controller.. I dont think its specified but sounds like the Autowbrake model. She needs power for the brakes.. maybe 6 amps, ten to be safe. Needs to go from 4 to 7 pin.. its in the thread I think. Usually that is a straight run from the tug battery with a self-resetting 12 VDC circuit breaker. But a good shop sounds like the best option to me, even though its hard to find one.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:30 PM   #19

Trailer: 1990 13 ft Scamp / 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Registry
C'mon guys, you know I meant THREE wheels. :^)
Conrad S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:34 PM   #20

North Carolina
Quote:
C'mon guys, you know I meant THREE wheels. :^)
Actually I was pretty sure you were talking about a dual axle trailer.. 4 wheels and a spare. clarity counts.

Tags
brakes, scamp