Adding brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #1

Name: Kenny
Trailer: '79 13' trillium
Ontario
Hello all.
Our family has a '79 13' trillium that has been well loved and cared for by the previous owners. They did, however, tow it with something bigger than our '11 Subaru forester.
As the owners manual rates the towing capacity at 1000lbs no brakes/ 2400lbs with brakes, I want to have brakes added to the trailer. I'll have them done professionally.

Is this best done at a mechanic's or at an RV/ trailer place? What general costs and time am I looking at?
Ksimdjembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I suggest neither. A trailer place knows how to install new axles, brakes, etc. You might need to replace the axle to allow brakes. A good trailer shop would know what's needed.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #3

Ontario
Sorry, I meant RV/ trailer place.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksimdjembe View Post
Sorry, I meant RV/ trailer place.
That's OK. I meant utility trailer place.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:52 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Kenny, if you do end up having to change out the axle I would add the brakes as the extra cost is pretty small at that point. Even if you don't need the extra braking it sure is nice to know you have it avalible. I don't have brakes on any of my utility trailers and some times they get loaded pretty heavy but it's always a short tow. TT tend to be longer distance tows. Just my two cents
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Kenny, if you do end up having to change out the axle I would add the brakes as the extra cost is pretty small at that point. Even if you don't need the extra braking it sure is nice to know you have it avalible. I don't have brakes on any of my utility trailers and some times they get loaded pretty heavy but it's always a short tow. TT tend to be longer distance tows. Just my two cents
Ahhh. The reason she might have to replace the axle is if the backing plates are not already on the current axle. She need to put brakes on to pull with Subaru.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #7

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Byron's correct!
Stay as far away from ANY RV shop for anything unless your wealthy and money doesn't matter.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #8

Ontario
What sort of ballpark costs would I be looking at?

Kenny
Old 12-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Here's the place to start. Should be able to link over to an installer in your area:

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Home

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Kenny, we tow a Scamp 13 Standard no bath but otherwise loaded, with a 2011 Forester. We do have the brakes, and think it makes a fine tug. Plenty of power, and we average about 19 - 20 MPG. Subaru handling and traction on slippery roads is legendary, but I'm sure you know that. I think it would be worth the money to upgrade your trailer, even if it will require a new axle. Good luck!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
What sort of ballpark costs would I be looking at?

Kenny
Cost of a new axle installed, complete with new hubs and brakes varies from shop to shop & location to location - so its worth doing some shopping around. $600 would be a good ball park number here in Canada to budget on.

As others have indicated unless the current axle on the trailer has the brake mounting plate already on it you will need to change the axle out completely. You can not simple add the brake mounting plate to an old axle. It is doubtful that the old axle on the trailer has the plate though due to its age.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #12

Ontario
Thanks all for the suggestions. We are easy of Toronto, and have now been researching trailer companies. Great info on here - glad I found y'all!
Old 12-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #13

Ontario
Um... That should say 'east' not 'easy'. Silly autocorrect.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks all for the suggestions. We are easy of Toronto, and have now been researching trailer companies. Great info on here - glad I found y'all!
You might want to do a Google on who your local Dexter axle dealer is.... that should help get you on the right path to finding a shop.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #15

Ontario
Dexter stands out better than other trailer shops?
Old 12-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #16

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Dexter stands out better than other trailer shops?
Dexter is a very large manufacturer of axles, springs, hubs and brakes. They sell to the shops that install. They also sell to distributors that sell to shops.

Product typically moves this way;

Dexter to wholesale distributor to shop to you
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #17

Ontario
Thanks. That's what I thought, though wasn't perfectly sure.

I've shopped around a bit, and a local place will either weld on a plate to the existing axle, switch out the existing axle for an aftermarket axle, or if I specify, they'll switch out the axle for a Dexter brand. Welding onto the existing axle isn't ny preferred option. Is there a huge difference between aftermarket or Dexter brand? Is Dexter that much tougher? They don't normally carry them, but will order it in. The rough price quote was more like $800 - $1100. (dexter making it pricier)
Old 12-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Thanks. That's what I thought, though wasn't perfectly sure.

I've shopped around a bit, and a local place will either weld on a plate to the existing axle, switch out the existing axle for an aftermarket axle, or if I specify, they'll switch out the axle for a Dexter brand. Welding onto the existing axle isn't ny preferred option. Is there a huge difference between aftermarket or Dexter brand? Is Dexter that much tougher? They don't normally carry them, but will order it in. The rough price quote was more like $800 - $1100. (dexter making it pricier)

Shop around a bit more. It's been reported here replacement axles from Dexter about half that price installed. But, that was then.

As for welding on a backing plate, that will probably destroy the current axle. This a rubber torsion alxe. There is rubber in the ends that provide the spring action. Here's pretty good information about Dexter small trailer axles.

I suggest that call Dexter and see if they'll sell directly to you or somebody close at much lower price.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Contact by PHONE:
Paul Neumeister
345 Huron Road, Sebringville, Ontario, NOK 1X0
Phone: 519-393-6410 (shop) 393-6776 (home)

Paul owns Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister he will either be able to help you directly, or he may be able to give a good recommendation for a shop.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #20

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Shop around a bit more. It's been reported here replacement axles from Dexter about half that price installed. But, that was then.

Really? I spent $600 and change just to get an axle shipped and dropped in my driveway from Scamp. Probably could have bought one cheaper but certainly not installed for half $800-$1100.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes