Adding weight to tongue - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
From Canadian Propane Assoc. web site:
Safety

Propane’s Characteristics
  • An odorant called Ethyl Mercaptan is added to propane so that leaks are easily detected.
  • Propane has the lowest flammability range of all alternative fuels (2.4% – 9.5%) – so there must be a very specific combination of propane and oxygen for it to burn.
  • Propane’s auto ignition temperature is approximately 493° – 549°C (920° – 1020°F), gasoline’s auto ignition temperature is around 257 °C (495°F) – therefore, gasoline will burn or explode at a much lower temperature than propane.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #22

Name: Lyndaleen
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
California
I'll let you know when and where I plan the trial run. I actually bought it from Atascadero and had brought it home in pouring rain over those mountains with NO trouble. I barely felt a bit of tug going up hill, and I was pulling with a 4-cylinder.
Mine is light blue.
Lyndaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Compact Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndaleen View Post
I'll let you know when and where I plan the trial run. I actually bought it from Atascadero and had brought it home in pouring rain over those mountains with NO trouble. I barely felt a bit of tug going up hill, and I was pulling with a 4-cylinder.
Mine is light blue.

I found my Compact Jr at a Lake Havasu Vintage Rally in Feb; I was down there with y 13' Scamp and went to 3 rallies in 2 weeks, counting the Quartsite Gathering. But it was originally sold by a dealer in Atascadero ! Owned by the same man until I bought it from his niece. Mine is all original, just getting a few upgrades ( BTW, we have had new snow above Sonora; the passes and some roads into Yosemite are closed again ! ) Happy Trails ! David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #24

Name: Maxine
Trailer: Perris Pacer
NC
Stun gun flashlight.

I carry a flashlight that is also a rechargeable stun gun.
Probegt1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: In the market
Kentucky
weight on rear bumper

I'm currently between campers, but have towed dozens of trailers of different types for 40+ years.

The only time I've had far more excitement than desired was descending a mountain pass after mounting 2 bicycles to the rear bumper of our camper. The 18-wheeler behind us locked up his brakes as we slalomed over all three lanes, and my wife's panicked prayer accelerated from her typical slow Texas drawl to auctioneer speed.

As soon as we stopped and I stopped shaking I jerked the bikes off the back and bungeed them to the tongue. That was 30 years ago. I've never had a stability issue before or since from having too much weight on the tongue.
iOpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #26

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
iOpine: a hairy experience and a good lesson...I think we used to load our Aloha trailer butt-heavy, which was likely why it handled so badly. (Pre-internet and living far from a library)...before we got Peanut, I read on FGRV to load tongue-heavy and we've always done so, thank goodness. Your experience sounds just awful!

"K"
Old 06-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #27

Name: Sheila
Trailer: Casita Spirit 17' Deluxe
Michigan
Hornet and wasp spray

Buy a can of hornet and wasp spray. The kind that shoots a long way. If anyone bothers you spray them in the face. If hornets or wasps bother you use it on them too.....
sheilasabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #28

California
My daughter bought me stun gun, spray, and flashlight with a pointed end for hitting.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #29

California
This is good to know. My generator is about 90 lbs. on tongue, countered by 50 lb AC and a propane canister in back.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #30

California
How do I post?

How do I reply so that my reply is obvious or connected to the original post?
Old 06-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #31

Name: Bush
Trailer: Vagabond
Nevada
CCW in California

I have lived in California for 30 years and have a CCW permit. It's not hard at all if you live in the right County. The Sherriff's of each county decide how they are going to distribute CCW's. If you live in Liberal County it's just about impossible. Check with your county Sherriff and explain your situation and if it's a County that allows CCW's they will let you know right away.
BushWacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:45 PM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by iOpine View Post
... I've never had a stability issue before or since from having too much weight on the tongue.
More tongue weight is better than less, but you can go overboard. For one, the tongue transition tends to be a weak point on the lightweight frames of some molded trailers. too much tongue weight could accelerate stress damage to the frame. For another, you can overload the rear of your tow vehicle, which can also affect your ability to control the rig in other ways as you remove weight from the front steering axle.

10-15% is the recommended range with 12-13% being a good target for a small molded trailer.

Glad you were able to recover from your close call! Almost all of the serious sway incidents I have read about involved descending a mountain grade.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndaleen View Post
How do I reply so that my reply is obvious or connected to the original post?

You click on the Quote box, bottom right of the message.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #34

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki Hale View Post
...but since you are in CA you will find it nearly impossible to get a gun permit.... .
I live in Shasta County, 170 miles north of Sacramento, and have a CCW. It was very easy to get since our Sheriff is very 2A friendly (thank you Tom Bosenko!)

California requires the weapons you plan to use be listed on your permit. (Michigan does not, and my brother can carry any pistol he legally owns without regard.) Many people are under the impression that California only allows you to list three guns on your permit, but that isn't true. I have six pistols listed on my permit. You do have to apply to your Sheriff and provide a reasonable reason for wanting the additional three pistols added.

Having said that, if you do carry a pistol be certain to learn its operation well, and practice with it often at the range until its use is second nature. Take lessons!!! Yes, range time and lessons cost money, but what is your life worth?

When my aged mother told me she had a gun (which I'm pretty sure she never shot even once) I asked her if she was prepared to shoot someone who came into her house uninvited. She said yes, and I asked her where. She said she would shoot them in the legs. I told her that she might as well hand them the gun and let them beat her with it.

As for knives, I would rather face a person with a gun than someone with a knife who knows how to use it. If you do have a gun and face a person with a knife, never let that person get closer than 25 feet. You will probably die. If you bring a knife to a fight and aren't well skilled in its use, you will probably have it taken away from you by the aggressor and used on you.

In a life or death situation, it's always better if the aggressor does the dying, and even though most aggressors will flee a the sight of a gun, it you are not prepared to end an aggressor's life, you should not consider carrying a gun.

Just my 2 cents.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #35

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushWacker View Post
I have lived in California for 30 years and have a CCW permit. It's not hard at all if you live in the right County. The Sherriff's of each county decide how they are going to distribute CCW's. If you live in Liberal County it's just about impossible. Check with your county Sherriff and explain your situation and if it's a County that allows CCW's they will let you know right away.
This is good to know - I'm in Tulare County which has always been a kinda cowboy territory and a lot of farmers are allowed CCW. I knew Sheriff Wiley, so I'll see about the current Sheriff.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #36

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You click on the Quote box, bottom right of the message.

THANK YOU!!!! It helps my posts sound "not so" stupid.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #37

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
More tongue weight is better than less, but you can go overboard. For one, the tongue transition tends to be a weak point on the lightweight frames of some molded trailers. too much tongue weight could accelerate stress damage to the frame. For another, you can overload the rear of your tow vehicle, which can also affect your ability to control the rig in other ways as you remove weight from the front steering axle.

10-15% is the recommended range with 12-13% being a good target for a small molded trailer.
These are good numbers to shoot for. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #38

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
I live in Shasta County, 170 miles north of Sacramento, and have a CCW. It was very easy to get since our Sheriff is very 2A friendly (thank you Tom Bosenko!)

California requires the weapons you plan to use be listed on your permit. (Michigan does not, and my brother can carry any pistol he legally owns without regard.) Many people are under the impression that California only allows you to list three guns on your permit, but that isn't true. I have six pistols listed on my permit. You do have to apply to your Sheriff and provide a reasonable reason for wanting the additional three pistols added.

Having said that, if you do carry a pistol be certain to learn its operation well, and practice with it often at the range until its use is second nature. Take lessons!!! Yes, range time and lessons cost money, but what is your life worth?

When my aged mother told me she had a gun (which I'm pretty sure she never shot even once) I asked her if she was prepared to shoot someone who came into her house uninvited. She said yes, and I asked her where. She said she would shoot them in the legs. I told her that she might as well hand them the gun and let them beat her with it.

As for knives, I would rather face a person with a gun than someone with a knife who knows how to use it. If you do have a gun and face a person with a knife, never let that person get closer than 25 feet. You will probably die. If you bring a knife to a fight and aren't well skilled in its use, you will probably have it taken away from you by the aggressor and used on you.

In a life or death situation, it's always better if the aggressor does the dying, and even though most aggressors will flee a the sight of a gun, it you are not prepared to end an aggressor's life, you should not consider carrying a gun.

Just my 2 cents.

Harold

Awesome advice. I think I'll discuss this further with a law officer. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #39

Trailer: 1974 Hunter I
We had a 74 hunter from 2010 to 2018 and really enjoyed it. The toung weight on it was always really light, but I never weighed it. I removed the propane tank and holder for it and mounted an aluminum truck tool box on the tounge. We used a small propane cooker with the small disposable canisters or an electric skillet to do most of the cooking on our 2017 8,000 mi trip in it.
It is best to have the tounge a little heavy than too light to prevent fishtailing, where the trailer starts going from side to side uncontrollably.
I added some things before our trip that really made it more comfortable. Here is things I adde.
1 breaker box with 30 amp power cord and 4 breakers
2. Removed icebox and installed small 110v refrigerator
3 microwave on top of counter
4 ac unit mounted under bunk on left side
5 small 110v led lights with plug in cords
6 small round "puck" led stick on lights
Most campers are good people, but you still need some type of protection. Gun laws have chdanged last few we years and you can have a wepon in your camper even in national parks, but check thelaws to make sure wherever you are going.
HAVE FUN!!!
harold f is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight