Advice needed for Scamp tire replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2024, 02:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Advice needed for Scamp tire replacement

Just like me, my Scamp's OEM tires are getting fairly bald. Unlike me, replacements are available. A little shopping yielded some questions that ya'll may have solved already. My 2021 Scamp 16 Deluxe came with 175-80-13 Globaltrax tires. These seem to be the cheapest option available, at around $60 online. Their load rating of 1610 lbs each adds up to near the 3000-lb measured weight of my loaded trailer. There would be a financial benefit to using my unused spare tire now and buying just one of these. But should I stretch for something better and safer?

I'd enjoy a little more ground clearance, so how about an upsizing to 185-80-13? This would add 100 lbs of rating for each tire. One downside is that I'd have to buy three. And it's still a low-market tire.

Discount Tire has two choices, an $80 Carlisle and a $100 Hankook. The Hankook ups the speed rating by 12 mph to 85, not that I'd drive that fast with a trailer.

Then there's the option of a 14" conversion. That would require buying three wheels and three tires, which I don't desire to do. But a 16" Scamp on 13" tires does look like a hippo on roller skates, so there's that.

So far, I'm undecided. Seems like good arguments for each course of action, so go ahead and sway me...
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 02:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Buy the Carlisle Radial HD 175/80-13.
Keep your best used tire for your spare.
IMO this is the best small trailer tire on the market by some margin,
it also contributes significantly to handling, which I have not

seen in any other trailer tire.

Going to a 205/14 in an appropriate load range and size

would only add 1" in trailer height at a substantial cost.

You don't mention the year of your Scamp but if it is fairly new then a road clearance increase can be accomplished with a spacer added to the axle at the frame.
This seldom needed and has its own set of drawbacks.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, it can be detrimental to increase the load range beyond what is best for the trailer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 03:12 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A GVW of 3000# means an axle weight around 2700#.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 07:20 PM   #4

I understand that the tongue weight doesn't count...

But there's the matter of keeping a safety margin above the specs.
Old 06-09-2024, 08:07 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
But there's the matter of keeping a safety margin above the specs.
Agree. But how much is appropriate? I have never heard a solid answer to that, and as a result a "more is better" mentality predominates. In the Scamp groups I have read people seriously advising load range E for a 13' Scamp (it doesn't exist, so don't look).

3200-2700=500# margin, which is a little less than 20%, which is about the minimum I'd want. You also have to factor in that many trailers are heavier on one side. If you're not comfortable with that, the only way to gain additional margin is with 14" wheels. If you did go to 14", you have more tire options, including the well-regarded Goodyear Endurance ST. I'd personally be inclined to spend the money.

I agree with Floyd that at some point you can go overboard, wasting money, resources, and decreasing ride quality.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 10:47 AM   #6

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I think the Maxxiss M8008 tires are one of the best. I am on my second set on my Casita.....I use E rated but they make a C rated in your size. Great tires! I replace every 5/6 yrs.......not because of wear.....because of age.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 10:40 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice I've ordered a pair of the best Carlisle trailer tires, in the OEM size and load level D. The speed rating rises a notch, at least.
Old 06-16-2024, 01:02 PM   #8

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Ahhh, Tire and rim size question.

This is a long time division of many. A hard decision point for me too. Considering I have my Scamp and a utility trailer that uses the same size tires. A second H.D. utility trailer that uses 205 w 15 rims. 3rd or 4th set on Scamp the last set I ordered were supposed to be load range D but when delivered the tires were not but load C. To return the tires would have cost me more time and money so I used them again. Load range D in the 185/75r13 are not commonly stocked anywhere I've seen. I'm sure that some of the trailer swaying is due to the small sized and load C tires. My new set are now 205/75r14s (not a recommendation) to anyone. But multiple factors for me, change of tow vehicle, needed more ground clearance and better / stronger tires. I'm currently doing a refresh on my Scamp. FYI; To anyone doing a slight lift of axle on some there is a strap welded in center of axle to support the floor. So that will need to be cut and length added to reconnect to support the floor. Or another piece of angle metal needs to be added across from side to side. I bolted a piece of square tubing to the strap I cut loose from the axle tube. It will contact the axle tube in compression of walking on floor until I get the other steps done.
Darrell in Al is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp