Almost lost a wheel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #21

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Jones View Post
I use these with my five spoke aluminum wheels. PLENTY of depth for the lug.

Americana Trailer Wheel Lug Nut - 13/16" Diameter - Stainless Steel - 1/2" - 20 Americana Accessories and Parts AM90070

Dan
Just an FYI in case folks don't know it, if you are going to use those style of nuts, be certain to use a "proper fitting" 6 point ( not 12 pt ) socket on those. That outer covering of stainless steel is put on there for cosmetic purposes, and a poor fitting or a 12 point socket can round that off, then you'll have a another issue to deal with to get it off.

Personally, I changed those out on my camper and put solid lug nuts on it. But again, if you have a correct fitting 6 point socket, you'll likely be okay with the clad ones.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post

If more people followed that advice there would be a lot fewer towing incidents.
Actually I prefer that the vehicle be in good repair and properly sized and equipped, so that the driver is in control.
I've seen several trailers (with their tow vehicle's in charge) upside down in the ditch, every one a fullsized truck or suv.

Of course the TV should be adequate for the task assigned,but
there's more to it than mere mass.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #23

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
but there's more to it than mere mass.
Momentum = Mass x Velocity, if I recall.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: 19 ft Escape ( aug 2012)
Alberta
one thing lots of people fail to realize is that the tapered holes in wheels do eventually wear out when wheels are removed lots the angle of the taped will change and cause the wheel nuts to not properly hold even when properly torqued, this is why i don't like using older wheels and wheel nuts on any thing i own. Aluminum wheels are obviously worse than steel for this as they are softer.
DMAC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Some Pictures

As you can see, there is not allot to get a wrench on.
Attached Thumbnails
Attach 23.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #26

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
As you can see, there is not allot to get a wrench on.
Cool! Theft proof lug nuts.
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #27

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
You could try one of these. They are made to deal with with the tight lug pocket problem.

Canadian Tire - Thin Wall Lug Wrench with Sockets customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

There are also thin-wall sockets available that will fit into your existing wrench or thin-wall sockets to fit a 1/2" drive wrench. Some have a plastic sleeve on the outside to protect the lug pockets of your wheels.

Dan
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #28

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Actually I prefer that the vehicle be in good repair and properly sized and equipped, so that the driver is in control.
I've seen several trailers (with their tow vehicle's in charge) upside down in the ditch, every one a fullsized truck or suv.

Of course the TV should be adequate for the task assigned,but
there's more to it than mere mass.
I didn't say that a larger vehicle would fix stupid.

Pulling with a larger vehicle will be less strain on the vehicle and makes it easier to remain in control. Put 8,000lbs behind a 1/2 ton gas engine truck every day and see how long it lasts when compared to a 1 ton diesel pulling the same load. Then see which one handles the load better.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #29

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Jones View Post
You could try one of these. They are made to deal with with the tight lug pocket problem.

Canadian Tire - Thin Wall Lug Wrench with Sockets customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

There are also thin-wall sockets available that will fit into your existing wrench or thin-wall sockets to fit a 1/2" drive wrench. Some have a plastic sleeve on the outside to protect the lug pockets of your wheels.

Dan
Longer lug nuts is my solution. They are so long that they almost look wrong. I will post a picture later.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #30

Name: Pat
Trailer: Getting back into it
Ontario
Another problem we have with those two piece chrome plated nuts is corrosion getting under the chrome and swelling them to the point where the proper socket won't fit. Maybe its just a winter salt problem....

When I started driving, all my vehicles (Chryco products ) had left hand threads on the left side of the vehicles wheel nuts. Wheels never loosened off.
My SIL borrowed our Hi-Low some years ago. One left wheel (tandem axle) made a quick departure just as he was entering a service station/restaurant. It broke off the black water plumbing on its way. When he got stopped and saw/smelled the problem he was so embarrassed that he started back down the road on three tires until the tank drained completely. Then he installed the spare (swiping nuts from other rims) and headed to Canadian Tire....
Patvetzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #31

Alberta
Registry
Solution

This is a picture of the wheel with one of the new lug nuts, for comparison. Lots of nut to get the tire iron on.
Attached Thumbnails
Thumb 1.jpg  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #32

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
Didn't Kenny Rogers have a hit song called "You Picked A Fine Time To Leave Me,Loose Wheel"?
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #33

Alberta
Registry
I don't have the proper emoticon for it, but my wife and I are rolling on the floor! Heh heh....
Old 05-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #34

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScampBum View Post
Didn't Kenny Rogers have a hit song called "You Picked A Fine Time To Leave Me,Loose Wheel"?
Almost! Find it on the Car Talk Car Tunes, Volume 1: America's Best Disrespectful Car Songs, track 10 of 21, "Loose Wheel"/Simply Weasels. This CD is a hoot! It is on my pile of CD's to take along and keep us alert and entertained on long trips. Some other tracks: Duct Tape Madrigal in C Maj., Autoservice Hell, Slow in Left Lane, You Can't Get There from Here in Jersey, My Bloody Yugo, and Mid-life Chrysler!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #35

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScampBum View Post

You'd get along well with my husband!
Old 08-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Correct me if my memory is wrong. I seem to remember that trailer wheels are generally lug centric while automobile and small truck wheels are hub centric. If my memory is right slightly off center wheel would cause vibration that might not be felt in the tow, but would cause the lugs to loosen.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:03 AM   #37

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that they come in both flavors in all applications up to heavy truck tires. Of course if the wheels center bore was to small for the hub it wouldn't fit correctly, or if you used stepped lug nuts on a tapered lug wheel there would be problems.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #38

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
if the wheels center bore was to small for the hub it wouldn't fit correctly, .
That kind of incorrect fit should be obvious even to those least savvy in vehicle maintenance, I think.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #39

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Steel wheels have that set of ridges around the bolt circle that sets through actual holes slightly away from the hub. This gives the wheel a space to "set" the clamping torque by flexing the wheel center.
Because of this the lugs are less likely to back off after torquing.
The aluminum wheels cannot do this and you have to re torque them to make sure that they are tight.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #40

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
This one had Ford Pinto sourced "Sprints" on it from the first time it left my driveway until it was sold years later, no problems encountered...
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_1.jpg   06_30_3.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote