Amp Locks for a Casita coupler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2022, 04:47 PM   #1

Name: Loren
Trailer: Shopping
California
Amp Locks for a Casita coupler

Hello!

I'm new here. We are picking up our Casita in November and I am just trying to decide on a last few things. I was wondering if anyone has this style of Amp lock for a Casita. I just want to make sure it will fit.

Thanks!

Loren

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cou...iABEgJ5bfD_BwE
Loren at the coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:48 AM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
No experience with that one. I use this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IH8PXI/ref=emc_b_5_t and like that the same key works for all the locks.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:42 AM   #3

California
Thanks...I have locks for all the other locations. I was just curious if that will fit on a Casita. I do like the fact it is cast iron. That being said, if a thief wants it they will get it. Making it more work for them may make them move to another target? It's a wonderful world isn't it!
Old 09-27-2022, 09:47 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
In a Casita Facebook group most opinions recommend the Proven coupler lock by Proven Industries. It even locks up the safety chains. There are a couple different models so you have to get the right one for a Casita. We don't have one so don't know which one it is.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:59 PM   #5

Name: Joel
Trailer: Casita SD
Texas
^Link to their 2" coupler locks
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:38 PM   #6

California
Thanks for the info on Proven locks. I found this in their reviews:

Fits my Casita...
Review by Paul B. on 4 Oct 2021review stating Fits my Casita... The Model S175 is a good compromise of cost and capability. It fits my Casita very well. No issues so far... I purchased it on the Proven Locks website with the standard Cobra 7 lock core. Buyer Beware of the version sold on Amazon which has a different core for which you cannot purchase additional keys.

I like the fact you can lock the chains with the other model, I assume it is this lock? I'll look around the internet but I'm not on Facebook.

https://www.provenlocks.com/collecti...cts/model-2178

Loren
Old 09-27-2022, 03:06 PM   #7

California
I just found the below on this forum...so the 2178 does work on a Casita.

2019 17ft Spirit Deluxe with gray interior and the following factory options
Fiamma F45s Aluminum cased Patio Awning
15 Aluminum Alloy Wheels
Dexter High Lift Axle
Electric Tongue Jack
Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution Hitch
Video Entertainment Package w/ Cable Ready
LED Interior and Exterior Lights
25 Gallon Fresh Water Tank Upgrade
LP Furnace
Modifications During Our Ownership
Installed Easy Start 364 Soft Starter can run A/C on low with a 15 Amp Extension Cord .
Installed BAL R.V. Products Group 24002D Deluxe Levelling Scissor Jack to replace factory rear jacks.
Purchased Proven Industries Model 2178 Coupler Lock to secure trailer while at storage or in the campsite selling this with the trailer .
Purchased/Installed Zinus 10 Green Tea Memory Foam Pressure Relief Mattress MUCH better sleeping versus the Casita Provided Cushions .
Added two towel bars and shower curtain divider to the wet bath to keep the toilet area dry.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:28 AM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
I picked Proven Locks because the chains are also locked up. I read someone's trailer was locked up, but they used the chains to tow it away.

jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:32 AM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Here is a test for trailer locks

jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #10

California
I ordered one yesterday. it looks like a great lock, or at least will deter most opportunist thieves.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:51 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Yellow Amazon Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
No experience with that one. I use this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IH8PXI/ref=emc_b_5_t and like that the same key works for all the locks.

I have used these yellow locks for years and have found them to be adequate but obviously not the quality of the more expen$ive locks described. But I got my two sets from Walmart and one was on sale, with the small brass (top) lock .The advantage I have found is that if you get lucky you can find and buy the brass top locks separately at Walmart , and can sometimes find one with the same key code printed on the package of 2. Or just have your key with you if you shop at WMart and test the key on different locks hanging on the display rack. So you might get lucky and get extra top (brass) locks to go with the clamp-on lock. And unless you have thick chains, you can usually clamp one chain into the yellow clamp-on lock, even with wrapping it around the trailer wheel crank first . Might be sufficient , if not on the level of the heavier locks. David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Kalifornia High Desert
Registry
Hitch locks

I have 2 different hitch locks that I use on 2 of my trailers. The one that is the most secure is the Master Locks brand and would be harder to remove by a criminal, not sure if I can use that word though. Spare keys can be made at any hardware store because the use a standard Master Lock brand key. The first one is the one I use on my 4500 trillium because the Trillium is not replaceable.

The other is a Gorilla lock and it is cheap and replacement keys are not available at most hardware stores. I could be easily defeated and damaged because of the way the locking mechanism works and it would jam and have to be cut off. The second is the one I use on my utility trailer as it is easier to replace if stolen.

I also wrap the safety chains around the frame and lock them together with a large padlock so someone can't just hook the chains to their hitch and drive down the road to a place where they could try to remove the hitch lock.

An Apple AirTag inside might help the recovery if it were to be stolen. This is a sad world today that we live in and that we have to be so concerned that someone feels the need to take someone else's property. The larger the city the greater chance of that happening and never getting your property back.

Just a side note, these are my $.02 worth so use caution taking my advise as ymmv.
Attached Thumbnails
master-no-36-trailer-lock-1[1].jpg   00318473[1].jpg  

ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:06 AM   #13

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
With a crowbar, this one can be defeated in about 30 seconds. The Proven Industries lock is the only one that is worth the trouble.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita