Andersen WDH problem with the metal plate - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2022, 07:08 PM   #1

Name: Gary
Trailer: 2019 Casita FD
Georgia
Andersen WDH problem with the metal plate

OK, I have the Andersen WDH recommended by Casita. Here's the installation video:

the problem is this: I installed the ball and later the silver plate. However, the silver plate has turned to the left so that the chains can't be connected to the back. Obviously I have to take everything off to start again, but the plate will not turn back to center-it seems hopelessly stuck. It wouldn't move with a rubber mallet.

I hope I explained this clearly and someone has a solution.
Thanks in advance.
georgiagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:03 AM   #2

Name: Skip
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
There is a video on Anderson website that explains this condition. It's a normal occurrence and you can't move the plate back with a hammer because that friction is the anti-sway part of the hitch. As a matter of fact, Anderson says not to hit it. See the video cause it explains much better than I can
Flydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 03:58 PM   #3

Georgia
Found it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydog View Post
There is a video on Anderson website that explains this condition. It's a normal occurrence and you can't move the plate back with a hammer because that friction is the anti-sway part of the hitch. As a matter of fact, Anderson says not to hit it. See the video cause it explains much better than I can
Thanks flydog!
Old 07-18-2022, 04:11 PM   #4
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
Smile andersen hitch

Just reverse the hitch procedure to unhitch keeping in mind the number of threads showing. With the nuts loosened all the way, but chain still attached, snug the nuts as much as possible and tow to a level straight spot, maybe a mile +/- and tighten the chains equally. They should be pretty closet to equal. Works for me, hope it helps you. Best hitch on the market speaking from experience.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:24 PM   #5

Georgia
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin View Post
Just reverse the hitch procedure to unhitch keeping in mind the number of threads showing. With the nuts loosened all the way, but chain still attached, snug the nuts as much as possible and tow to a level straight spot, maybe a mile +/- and tighten the chains equally. They should be pretty closet to equal. Works for me, hope it helps you. Best hitch on the market speaking from experience.
Thanks VIN. We'll be looking for you at the campground!
Old 07-23-2022, 04:56 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot Trailer
British Columbia
Just a few more thoughts on this topic based on my experience with the Andersen hitch for the last 8 years or so on my 25 foot Bigfoot. I alway try to disconnect the chains when I am facing straight ahead so the plate is in the same position as long as I hook up with the trailer and tow vehicle lined up straight. The other way of straightening the plate is to angle your vehicle in on the side where the plate is too far back to connect the chain. You can then straighten the plate by pulling forward and turning in the opposite direction with just the one chain connected. It will still work even if not perfectly lined up. I just try to get the straight edge on the back of the plate perpendicular to the trailer and that tells me if I tighten the bolts, for my setup, so 6 threads are showing it is exactly where I want it to be.
Bob Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:35 PM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rolls View Post
Just a few more thoughts on this topic based on my experience with the Andersen hitch for the last 8 years or so on my 25 foot Bigfoot. I alway try to disconnect the chains when I am facing straight ahead so the plate is in the same position as long as I hook up with the trailer and tow vehicle lined up straight. The other way of straightening the plate is to angle your vehicle in on the side where the plate is too far back to connect the chain. You can then straighten the plate by pulling forward and turning in the opposite direction with just the one chain connected. It will still work even if not perfectly lined up. I just try to get the straight edge on the back of the plate perpendicular to the trailer and that tells me if I tighten the bolts, for my setup, so 6 threads are showing it is exactly where I want it to be.
Thanks; it straightened out quickly.