Andersen weight distributing hitch - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2021, 09:03 AM   #1

Name: Steven
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 ft / 2020 Ford Escape
Texas
Andersen weight distributing hitch

Anyone using the Andersen weight distributing hitch to tow a Scamp 16? I have a 2030 Ford Escape with tow package for a tow vehicle. It has a class 2 receiver. If anyone has a similar setup and you are using the Andersen hitch I would like to know your recommendation.
Steven F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
I tow a 2019 17 foot Casita with an Escape that has the tow package. We have the anderson weight distribution hitch. I have found it is easy to hook up and I feel it provides some protection from sway. If I had to do it all over, I would still get the Anderson hitch.
David Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Some vehicles, depending on their load capacity and the weight of the trailer, require a weight distributing hitch to tow safely. Otherwise tongue weight is carried entirely on the rear axle. And because this weight is applied behind the rear axle, it can actually reduce the weight applied to the front axle which can impair steering and braking. The weight distributing hitch prevents this from happening.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #4

Texas
Thanks

Exactly information I wanted. Just noticed I said I had a 2030 Escape. They havenít been released yet. LOL. Itís a 2020.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:15 PM   #5

Name: Bruce
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
New Hampshire
Anderson WD Hitch

I have the Anderson WDH on my Escape 19 and have used it for 3+ years with an Audi Q5 and a VW Touareg. Very happy with it. Easy to hook up, quiet and relatively light. Anderson had some design issues with the early versions, but after some discussion with them they updated my hitch to the latest version in late 2019 and it has been great since then. Both of my vehicles were uni-body construction like the Ford Escape, and so using the hitch to shift very much weight to the front wheels is not advised, although I know those who do it anyway. I'm primarily interested in the sway control it provides.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #6

Alberta
Steven, Some years ago I ordered a GMC Safari van with a 4.3l engine and the trailering package. It was rated to tow 5500lb with the weight distributing hitch. My trailer dry weight was 3500lb. Without the WDH my van sat like a speed boat with the front way up and little weight on the front wheels. With the WDH both the tug and trailer were level and towed well.
Before I hook up my trailer I measure the distance between the bottom of the bumper, front and rear. When I hook up I adjust the WDH so that both front and rear bumpers drop the same distance and both the tug and trailer are level with the ground. I've found this to be the most stable configeration for towing.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A Class 2 hitch is not rated for WDH use. It needs to be Class 3 or higher and rated for WDH by the hitch manufacturer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:13 AM   #8

Name: Blake
Trailer: in the market
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A Class 2 hitch is not rated for WDH use. It needs to be Class 3 or higher and rated for WDH by the hitch manufacturer.
Agreed with that statement. If the manufacturer only put a class 2 hitch on with a tow package you may want to verify the vehicle is recommended to even be using a WDH by the vehicle manufacturer. It may not be structurally suitable.
LoneWolf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #9

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 1975 Surfside (not Triple E)
British Columbia
WDH

Towing a 14' Surfside with a 2005 Sienna Class 3 hitch and the Anderson.

Works well, zero sway and everything nice and level.

For my light duty needs it is worth the price, especially since it is greaseless. I bought a curt WDH initially to save money but immediately returned it as it added ALLOT of weigth on the hitch itself for which I am limited with the Sienna to 500LBS (with a WDH, 350 without)

I hear the Anderson is not as good for the heavier loads, but we are towing fiberglass boxes here.
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:31 PM   #10

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
I tow a 16' Casita behind a 2005 4runner. I've used 3 or 4 different hitches and like the Anderson hitch the best out of all of them.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:31 PM   #11

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Slightly off topic

If you have front wheel drive a WDH is needed if you want to up any hill that is gravel. Trust me on this. As was said above if your front end is up high and rear end down, you will have no traction. Just my two cents.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:27 PM   #12

Alberta
The weight distributing hitch essentially makes the chassis of the tug and the chassis of the trailer a single unit.
There's a video on YouTube that shows a trailer hooked to a front wheel drive vehicle with a WDH and the rear wheels removed towing the trailer around.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:55 PM   #13

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
California
Registry
We bought a Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 last summer and are towing it with an Audi Q5 (first a 2.0T, now a 3.0 TDI) and have been very happy with the Andersen. Besides the weight distribution and sway control, I find that it really reduces or eliminated "porpoising" over uneven pavement and makes for a very stable ride. Early on I saw a trick online of how to connect and disconnect without undoing the chains, no dealing with sockets and ratchets, and find it very easy to connect and disconnect.
billeldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:10 PM   #14

Texas
Andersen hitch and Scamp

I checked with Andersen and they did not recommend their hitch as the tongue weight of the Scamp is under 350 lbs. I believe the Casita tongue weight is heavier than the Scamp. So for now I will keep using the old friction anti-sway device. My Scamp tongue weight is around 250 lbs.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:57 PM   #15

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 1975 Surfside (not Triple E)
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven F View Post
I checked with Andersen and they did not recommend their hitch as the tongue weight of the Scamp is under 350 lbs. I believe the Casita tongue weight is heavier than the Scamp. So for now I will keep using the old friction anti-sway device. My Scamp tongue weight is around 250 lbs.
I had seen that spec also but went for it anyhow and was happy I did. Still seems to do the job just fine for me

My tongue weight is also around 250lbs
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:37 PM   #16

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I tow a Scamp 16' (heavy) and I have used a straight hitch and a Reese Mini 350 that is a light duty WDH. I can say that it is a much more comfortable ride with the WDH.
The light WDH often have sway control as part of the design.
I have towed with a 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI without the WDH and a 2016 Town and Country and a 2012 VW Touareg Both with and and without.
The WDH has less bobbing and really helps with FWD.
Personally I think that the Anderson does not have enough of a lever arm to transfer any appreciable weight.
Your mileage may vary.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:04 PM   #17

Name: LYNN
Trailer: Little Guy Mini Max
Texas
Andersen WDH

Have been using Andersen WDH for a couple years, towing 2900 lb Little Guy Mini Max with 2010 Highlander AWD. Good experience, easy setup. Hitch won't break your arm putting it in place. Anti-sway built in to WD function. Andersen provided updated mechanism for free. Good company to deal with.
FearlessFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:16 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Google says...........

What is the difference between a Class 2 and Class 3 trailer hitch?
Class 2 hitches have a 1-1/4" receiver and generally only go up to 3,500 lbs. ... On the other hand, class 3 hitches have a 2" receiver and can range up to 8,000 lbs. gross trailer weight. Additionally, some class 3 hitches are able to be used with a weight distribution hitch for a towing capacity as high as 12,000 lbs.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:52 PM   #19

Alberta
I've used the class 3 and class 5 WDH. The only difference I find is that the class 5 is more stable for highway travel but both work well.

Tags
scamp, weight