Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 05:01 AM   #1

Name: Gish
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Hi there, does anyone have the Anderson WDH for their 17 foot Casita? Was the initial installation fairly simple. Were there any modifications needed? How simple is it to set up once installed? Thankyou
Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:22 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just make sure you get the correct frame brackets, the "universal 3/4/5/6" brackets do not work as well as the one made for your particular frame size.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:23 AM   #3

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Got it = very simple - LOVE it - added 3 links to each chain and mounted the brackets just behind the propane tank cross bar so they would not slide. No welding needed. Adjusts very easily and performs as you want it to - a home run for sure - get it and forget it.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Please stay on topic discussing to OP's questions.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Oregon
I have the Anderson and I use it with my 17 foot Casita and my Tacoma X-Runner. I love it. I followed the directions closely and it all works well. I did drill a deep pocket for the set screws, and no sliding. I had to take three links off, but that was simple.

It is light and easy to install and remove. I do keep a 1/2 inch ratchet in the box with the hitch to make tensoning the chains easier. I also have painted marks on the chains to use as a reference while tensoning.
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #6

Name: Gish
Florida
Thank you Everyone!!!
Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #7

Name: walt
Trailer: casita
New Jersey
andersen wd hitch paired with 17' casita

I just got a 2012 17' Spirit DL and am trying to work out the best Andersen wd hitch. I purchased the 3/4/5/6 bracket (kit #3326) but quickly saw that would leave only ~5 inches of ground clearance. I tried talking to someone at Andersen, they put me through to a variety of reps, with only one returning my call. He told me about a 3/4/5/6 raised bracket (#3369) that he recommended for casitas. Anyone have first hand knowledge of this setup? Why would that be better than a simple 3" bracket? FYI- I'm pulling it with a 2009 Toyota Sienna. Thanks in advance for the help.
waltmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
what matters is how high the hitch reciever on your tug is, compared with how high the tow socket on the trailer is when its frame is level. This also depends on whether your Casita has 15" or 14" tires, and lift kit vs no lift.

on my Tacoma 4x4, I was using a 3" drop tow bar, but my Tacoma's receiver is about 18" high, probably quite a bit higher than a Sienna. I also have airbags on theTaco, so when I load the truck, I pump up the airbags so the chassis rides at the same height it did empty, then I hitch up.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:41 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Oregon
I have that bracket on my Casita 17. It gives me about 12 inches ground clearance. In my case, the lowest thing is now the jack.

There was about 3 inches of steel above the trailer frame, so I cut that off, and now it does not interfere with the propane cover.

I also had to remove three links. But it's all working smoothly now.
Attached Thumbnails
Bracket.jpg  
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I pull a 2018 Casita 17' with our 2017 AWD Honda Ridgeline, doesn't need a WDH or swaybar, pulls like it's not even there. You may need a WDH with smaller tow vehicles, I'm pretty sure you would need one for safety and your vehicle tow restrictions. Since the original poster did not mention what tow vehicle would be used with the Anderson and the Casita, it's hard to answer the question. Since it's a setup between to vehicles, for correct size and weight for the two is needed for a correct answer.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #11

Name: Perry
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
California
Registry
When we purchased our Casita SD 17' used from a private party he had installed the Andersen WDH behind the propane tanks and extended the chains. We have had our Casita for about 3 years and towed about 8k miles and it has worked flawlessly. We tow with a 2nd generation Honda Ridgeline AWD and one thing that is noticeable when not using the WDH is how much the rear bounces but that disappears with the WDH installed. Here is a photo for reference of our installation.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04453.jpg  
EggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:41 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggRoll View Post
When we purchased our Casita SD 17' used from a private party he had installed the Andersen WDH behind the propane tanks and extended the chains. We have had our Casita for about 3 years and towed about 8k miles and it has worked flawlessly. We tow with a 2nd generation Honda Ridgeline AWD and one thing that is noticeable when not using the WDH is how much the rear bounces but that disappears with the WDH installed. Here is a photo for reference of our installation.
Glad to see your using the Ridgeline and the Anderson WDH is working well for you. I would never rule out a WDH, but so far I just don't feel any bounce that you feel, it could be how and what each of us carry in the trailer and in the RL, this could make a difference. Doesn't the Ridgeline do a wonderful job in pulling the Casita and get very decent fuel mileage, many don't even look at the Ridgeline as a tow vehicle, I can't tell if it's price, uni body construction (NO FRAME), or just the low build amount that Honda produces. I've had both a G1 and now the G2 models and both have been excellent trucks for towing within there specs from Honda.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #13

Name: Patti
Idaho
Anderson WDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
Got it = very simple - LOVE it - added 3 links to each chain and mounted the brackets just behind the propane tank cross bar so they would not slide. No welding needed. Adjusts very easily and performs as you want it to - a home run for sure - get it and forget it.
Do you have photos of your wdh mounted on the Casita? As we are completely unfamiliar with WDH, I thought I could save a hassle and just have our RV guys install but they say they need to remove and raise the propane tanks. That seems a bit excessive and $$$ added to an already expensive item. When I looked at the install manual, I thought behind the tanks would do the trick.
I know a lot of these go on Casitas, it should not be this difficult.
Thanks.
Dorrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrps View Post
Do you have photos of your wdh mounted on the Casita? As we are completely unfamiliar with WDH, I thought I could save a hassle and just have our RV guys install but they say they need to remove and raise the propane tanks.....
post #11, 2 posts above yours has said picture...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #15

Idaho
Thank you.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #16

Name: Perry
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Glad to see your using the Ridgeline and the Anderson WDH is working well for you. I would never rule out a WDH, but so far I just don't feel any bounce that you feel, it could be how and what each of us carry in the trailer and in the RL, this could make a difference. Doesn't the Ridgeline do a wonderful job in pulling the Casita and get very decent fuel mileage, many don't even look at the Ridgeline as a tow vehicle, I can't tell if it's price, uni body construction (NO FRAME), or just the low build amount that Honda produces. I've had both a G1 and now the G2 models and both have been excellent trucks for towing within there specs from Honda.

trainman

Our 2017 Ridgeline AWD does a great job of towing the Casita. On our last trip a few weeks ago, which included lots of hilly terrain, we kept the tow speed down to 55-60mph and averaged 18.4mpg on the 700 mile trip. While we normal tow with the Andersen WDH we did a trip without the WDH connected and that's when we noticed the bounce or slight bucking. We do carry our Honda 2000 generator in the trunk of the truck so perhaps the combination of the hitch weight from the trailer combined with the extra 50# of the generator near the rear contribute to a bit more movement while traveling at highway speeds.
EggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #17

Idaho
I talked with the Anderson/ Casita rep, he sent me a kit, the one he says he sends to Casita. It has a universal bracket that hangs 6” below the frame when installed as instructed. I have the lift kit and the bracket leaves just 7” of clearance. I cannot believe Casita would allow such a setup to leave their factory.
I do have a call in to Anderson, a text to the rep. I am thinking of calling Casita to get their input.
Other than the bracket not fitting as I think is should, this is a really easy system, I think the setup would take less than a hour if I wasn’t trying to figure out how to make this universal bracket fit.

Universal fit = fits everything, sort of but not really.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
My first Andersen set up had the universal brackets, later they cam out with 3-4" 4-5" custom brackets. I stopped in Idaho Falls at the factory and they installed the new smaller custom brackets, gratis, told me to keep the old ones.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #19

Idaho
Well, the Casita Anderson rep just called me. They sent the wrong kit and are shipping replacement brackets now. I should be in business soon.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #20

Name: Brendan
Boulder
Well this is awkward. Casita has been selling the Anderson WDH as an option for years but here I am with a brand new Heritage that I drove to a flat parking lot yesterday to install the WDH and guess what. The included chain makes the brackets mount where the propane is. I saw in above posts that people extended or shortened the chain link. Which way is safe or more effective? Its nutty that Casita doesnt ship a kit that fits on their trailer.
oulous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight