Anti-Sway Bar - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #21

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I'm with Donna-always jack up the trailer after connection(but always lower it again before taking off!!!!!!!)
Actually left the jack down once on an Apache trailer-jack didn't like me after that!!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Chains

It appears to me, at least the way we connect our chains, that the hitch will hit the ground when the ball is released because the chains are longer than the distance to the ground.

It may be that I don't know how to correctly connect the chains.

Both my chains come from a single point so crossing means little unless I do some complex wrapping of the chains.

In fact our chains seem to just about reach the tie points on the tow vehicle. Next time I hook up I'll try more creative 'chaining'.

As to testing I think Donna's and others method of slightly jacking the trailer after connecting the ball is prudent.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Twisting chains shorten them, but in your case they could be already short. In my trailer I twist them 3 times.
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #24

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: honda03842... Having a 5.0 5th wheel the only "Anti sway bar" we use is a "Coffee bar"!!! Good to know the only damage was a bruised ego.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #25

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
The posts from Donna D. on down are correct when you use a wdh, my answer was for Norm's prob and I assumed that because he didn't mention a wdh he wasn't using one, many folks w/o a wdh don't check the hook using that method. I use a wdh and the process is what you folks mentioned. The main focus of my post was on the chains causing the tongue to drag on the ground. Norm, I read your post #18 and you may want to get a welder to spread out your chains on the tongue and you are right if they are connected from the same point the crossing may have minimum affect, but normally crossing keeps your tongue from dropping between the chains and tends to catch it keeping it from hitting the ground, in many states its the law
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #26

Florida
Chains

I've been thinking about the chains. Definitely the single point connection point is wrong and can easily corrected.

The other issue is the length of the chains. Mine are not particularly long and seem to just connect. Crossed or not it seems that if the length of the chains is greater than the distance to the ground the tongue is going to hit the ground.

My tongue is only 16 inches off the ground when the trailer is level partially because the nose of the 1991 Scamps is significantly lower than the trailers main frame rails.

We're idled in TX right now, going to a rally, and I plan to take a look at the chain situation, definitely some thought is required here.

I certainly will correct the single point issue and may also improve the dipped nose of the Scamp. On our way home we are planning to go to the Scamp factory and maybe we'll have it done there.

Until then I intend to be very careful about connecting and am sure there will be no unintentional disconnects, I have enough gray hair already.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #27

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Norm,
So glad to hear the event worked out without any damage or other mishap. Like some others have mentioned, this is one of the "unintended good consequences" of using a WD hitch. The step of raising it all back up to hook up the bars is a "check" for a false hitch.
I know you have pulled that rig all over as it is configured, but I can't help but think a WD hitch would improve the towing experience considering the size, weight and suspension design of the CRV.

Again, glad to hear it all worked out for you.....I'm sure that is an attention getting moment.

george
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #28

Florida
Honda CRV and WD

George,

I'm not a WD expert or even novice but I doubt a WD is designed for the Honda CRV or vice a versa. Our hitch weight is only 192 pounds, not excessive and the Honda CRV seems quite balanced with it.

I know we need to check for a 'false hitch' in the future and will never not do it. Hopefully that will resolve the issue. It is also clear that our chaining arrangement could be improved and we'll do that as well.

Actually, though few on the site seem to believe it, the Honda tows the Scamp in a very flat posture. Attaching the trailer to the Honda only lowers the Honda as measured at the wheel wells by a 1/2 inch.

I know that people are somewhat suspicious of our configuration but there are people who pull heavier trailers with heavier, more powerful tow vehicles than ours and do not have better horsepower to pound of trailer ratios.

The CRV has worked very well, never feels as though it's being pulled or pushed around by the trailer.

We're in the hill country of TX now and do sometimes feel uncomfortable because we don't drive at the speed limit on their back roads, often 70 mph and faster than the trailer tires allow. I guess they drive so fast because the distances are so long.

We tow and have towed as much as most anyone on this site with our Honda and we are extremely satisfied.

Safe Travels,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #29

Missouri
Well Norm, regarding whether the WD is designed for the Honda, I'm not sure that is necessarily the correct way to view the subject. A guess would be that Honda does not mention WD because they most likely would prefer that the end user not really tow anything very heavy with that car.

But if we look beyond that, to be honest, a WD hitch I suppose in theory "could" be used on just about any tow vehicle. For instance, if a person looks at some of the videos of Hensley or Propride hitches, we see these set up up on some rather extreme examples. Such as the vid of the old Dodge Intrepid ( a unibody car ) with a triple axle Airstream hitched to it, and doing some very wild maneuvers.
And certainly I'm not trying to tell you how to hitch your rig.....hey, you're the one that has pulled it all over the country this way, and you seem to be happy. But I'm just looking at it from a standpoint of trailer weight, TV weight, tongue weight ( actual and/or preferred ) and how it can all be distributed either with or without a WD hitch.

All I am trying to say is if they day ever comes that you think that a WD hitch might improve the towing, I would not automatically "rule it out" of the Honda/Scamp equation. If you have never towed with WD, it really is a very nice system that adds to safety and driving ease. If you ever do consider it, the first place I would start would be a email or call to some of the companies that make the WD hitch. For what it's worth, I use a BlueOx. But I am also towing a bigger TT with a larger TV, so my situation is different than yours.

Best to you, and again, I'm delighted to hear that your "event" ended up all well.

george
Old 02-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #30

Florida
Honda CRV/Scamp

The combination of our 2004 Honda CRV and 1991 Scamp 16 tow beautifully. We're totally happy with the combination.

Our Scamps 192 pound tongue weight, measured last week, is handled easily by the Honda. The steering never feels light and the Honda sits flat, only down a 1/2 inch at the rear wheel wells.

One thing the Honda has is a relatively short rear overhang and when I have time I could shorten it by 3 more inches.

We get great mileage and the Honda's been totally reliable. The Scamp tracks like a dream, passing big trucks never effect the Scamp or Honda.

We can drive as fast as we want, usually 60 mph and get our 22+ mpg.

As well we have pressure sensors on the Scamp's tires.

I can't imagine needing more than we have.

We're at 160,000 miles and countng and by the time we return home in November we'll be at 180,000 miles.

Believe me if I thought we needed a weight distribution hitch I'd have one, particularly if I owned a nose heavy or nose loaded trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #31

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post

All I am trying to say is if they day ever comes that you think that a WD hitch might improve the towing, I would not automatically "rule it out" of the Honda/Scamp equation.

george
George you should be aware that although Honda's manual may not address the use of a WD a number of other auto manufactures do and there are some that come right out and state that a WD is not to be used...... so its not a matter or the WD being a good thing for all autos big or small as all are not designed the same and the use of WD can have not so good impact on the handling of some autos.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
We stopped at a truck stop in Mississippi a few years ago and discovered the tongue of the Aliner sitting on top of the ball instead of being locked down on it. Only the heavy tongue weight and smooth roads had kept it from coming apart.

The tip about raising the jack and seeing if it starts to lift the truck is one I will use every time from now on!

Thanks!
When I worked in trailer rental I saw this a number of times.
Thomas G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #33

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
George you should be aware that although Honda's manual may not address the use of a WD...
It all depends on the model and tow rating. I believe the CRV is rated for a Class II receiver with the small draw bar.
Nobody makes a WDH for that receiver.

My Honda Odyssey's manual specifically requires the use of a WDH above 2000 pounds due to front wheel drive issues. The factory receiver is a "Class III" with the 2" receiver that they label as 350 pounds maximum (instead of 500 pounds) just because of the WDH requirement.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #34

Missouri
Quote:
George you should be aware that although Honda's manual may not address the use of a WD a number of other auto manufactures do and there are some that come right out and state that a WD is not to be used...... so its not a matter or the WD being a good thing for all autos big or small as all are not designed the same and the use of WD can have not so good impact on the handling of some autos.
That's interesting. I would like to know what their logic is. Would love to speak with one of their engineers about it.
I know that there is some differences in how some of the different auto manufacturers spec how much weight is to be transferred to the steer axle. I've seen specs from "level" to "squat it", to "it's okay for it to be a little high". I suspect it has more to do with alignment issues than anything else.

If the rear suspension of Norm's Honda is only squatting 3/4" or so, that's pretty impressive. I would have guessed that you'd get more squat than that with the tongue weight, and whatever is in the back of the car. That's certainly a good sign. It must have fairly stiff springs, so again, that's a good sign. As many miles as he has pulled I'm sure he's way beyond the point of knowing too if it was hurting in the alignment department, as that would have long ago shown in odd or accelerated tire wear.

I'm just glad to see that there is a "fuel conscious alternative" to this whole idea of hardsided camping. It seems that most of the industry is geared towards the idea of TT's that weight 7K pounds or more, meaning the user has to buy an expensive TV that uses lots of fuel.

Happy camping everyone !

george
Old 02-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
That's interesting. I would like to know what their logic is. Would love to speak with one of their engineers about it.
Don't know why - I know the Outback has a tow cap of 2800 or 3000 depending on model and they have a class III hitch but the use of WD is not allowed. Some have suggested it has something to do with the unique all wheel drive type they have.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #36

Missouri
Quote:
Don't know why - I know the Outback has a tow cap of 2800 or 3000 depending on model and they have a class III hitch but the use of WD is not allowed. Some have suggested it has something to do with the unique all wheel drive type they have.
Is it Subaru that is saying no to weight distribution, or is it the manufacturer of the hitch that is saying no ? Looking on the etrailer website they say:
"There is not a hitch manufactured for the 2011 Subaru Outback that is compatible with weight distribution systems."

To me, that is not the auto manufacturer saying no, it sounds more like the hitch companies are not making a hitch that is heavy enough to take the strain of WD. Possibly they ( the hitch company ) are trying to limit their liability. If they make a stout hitch, and then someone hitches a trailer that is heavier than the auto mfr limits, then the hitch company may have some liability. Obviously, this is all just just speculation on my part....either way, it's all gone rather off topic, so I'll drop it.

george
Old 02-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #37

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Is it Subaru that is saying no to weight distribution, or is it the manufacturer of the hitch that is saying no ? Looking on the etrailer website they say:
"There is not a hitch manufactured for the 2011 Subaru Outback that is compatible with weight distribution systems."

To me, that is not the auto manufacturer saying no, it sounds more like the hitch companies are not making a hitch that is heavy enough to take the strain of WD. Possibly they ( the hitch company ) are trying to limit their liability. If they make a stout hitch, and then someone hitches a trailer that is heavier than the auto mfr limits, then the hitch company may have some liability. Obviously, this is all just just speculation on my part....either way, it's all gone rather off topic, so I'll drop it.

george
It is the automakers that say no wdh, the cars that don't allow them are unibodies which have no frames, I towed with a Odyssey and they as well didn't recommend it as they are unibody, the unibody is not structually as strong as a body that sits on a frame, i towed with a single bar wdh which was limited to a 400 lb tongue weight, I still have the Ody but I bought a used 2001 F-150 as a second vehicle and is now my tv. I still use the wdh even though I have the truck as it takes all the porpoising out of the ride. As for a anti sway, I have it on there just to satisfy the folks who think I'm crazy for not using it, but I don't tell them I leave it loose shhh, I have seen no difference with or without them
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #38

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill MacDermod View Post
It is the automakers that say no wdh, the cars that don't allow them are unibodies which have no frames,..................................
Precisely, weight distribution hitch places huge torque on the towing vehicle pushing its front wheels down. Vehicles with frames (trucks and some SUVs) should be able to take this torque. I believe that Honda CRV is unibody construction. If Norm's Honda is squatting 1/2" in the rear I am not sure what value would WDH add. Personally, I would never mount WDH on any unibody vehicle.
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Is it Subaru that is saying no to weight distribution,
Yes Subaru in their manual states no WD so that is most likely why you cant find anyone who makes a wd specifically for it. The Outback is also a unibody as well as an All Wheel Drive so changing up how weight is distributed across the vehicle is probable not a great idea for handling either.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #40

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I was under the impression that weight distributing hitches were sold/made according to amount of weight, not vehicle. In other words there are 600 lb bars, 1000 lbs bars and so on depending on the tongue weight of the trailer. The vehicle brand is not part of the equation, the hitch receiver is because it has limits.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote