Anybody Grease Their Hitch Ball? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2019, 10:54 PM   #21

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../AM3664-2.html

This is the replacement cover.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:56 PM   #22

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Here is the ball

https://andersenhitches.com/Products...-hardball.aspx
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #23

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Candle wax works GREAT
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:44 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I always used grease on the bumper hitch of my 19, and do so with the hitch on my cargo trailer which gets lots of use. I remove the ball mount from the vehicle and latch the ball in the coupler. This keeps the protruding shin buster off the vehicle, and deals with any chance of hitch grease attack.

I do wipe the ball and coupler with a dry rag periodically to remove any dirt that may have built up, and do so when parking the trailer for a good length of time.

I only have two bumper pulls now, my dump trailer which is only used occasionally and for short distances so don't bother with grease, and my cargo trailer loaded with tools which gets a fair bit of use and I do grease. After now using an Anderson greaseless ball for my 5.0TA, I am thinking of using one of their greaseless balls with my cargo trailer too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #25

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I use Vasoline, I keep a small jar in my tool bag, I wipe it off when I get home and keep clean grease on the ball before each trip. You can use the Vasoline for other things like battery cables to.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #26

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I use a dab of Timken auto bearing grease on all my rigs.....work great. I keep a tub of it in my shop for carriages, wagons and trailer bearings. When camping....I simply put a plastic baggy over the ball and wrap a wire around it to keep it on. When removing the hitch and storing it....the baggy stays on as well. I never clean off the grease...just add a little more when needed.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #27

Name: Gary
Trailer: Alto by Safari Condo
Illinois
Problem with grease is that it attracts grit and grime that's hard on everything it touches. I carry a can of graphite spray and spray the ball every couple thousand miles. It dries to a non-tacky surface and lubes the hitch and ball very well. If you rub on it hard enough it will come off on your hand, knee, pant-leg, etc., but nothing like grease. Been using it for years.
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
+1. We use Jann's approach too.
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #29

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Grease + Grit = grinding compound

the "best" lubricant in a wet place is a molybdenum based grease. IMHO.
A lithium based grease is good too.
But, you should wipe the ball and socket clean to remover road grime, and apply clean grease.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #30

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
I use wheel bearing grease; a very thin layer. But then, to cover it, I hate the tennis ball; it's not a mess-proof solution.

Instead, I use a plastic sandwich bag (a 'baggie'). works great, sticks to the grease, cheap, and no mess. It's on the ball whenever we're not hitched up. I also remove the ball mount when not towing soon (like when at extended camping spots); I hate shin bruising. The ball mount, and its baggie, go into the back of the tow vehicle, with no grease mess anywhere.
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #31

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
California
Yep

Found that cheap white lithium grease works well enough, but is messy, so i took a short piece of 2 inch ABS pipe and a PVC cap and screwed a magnet into the top of the cap. It protects the ball when not in use, and conserves grease since it doesn't end up getting wiped off by my pants legs. Cheap and easy.
Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #32

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Grease hitch ball

Hitch ball should always be greased it is to stop wear on the ball not rust makes turns easier don't need much just use your finger to put a small amount on the ball
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #33

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
With all lubricants it's good to remember two things. The first is a little lube goes a long way. The second is contamination in the lube -- dirt or sand, mostly -- can do a lot of damage.

I put a small, quarter teaspoon sized dab on the top of the hitch ball before each trip, cover the ball with a rubber cap when not in use, and clean it off with a paper towel and put a fresh dab on if it gets dirty while we are out, then clean it off agian at the end of the trip.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #34

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
Hitch Ball Grease and Electrical Connection Grease

For trailer lighting the a recurring problem corrosion of the pigtail. As the pins are in close proximity to each other, if you used an electrical conducting grease, you could easily have a current short between the pins of the trailer pig tail connection. So, to fight the corrosion, you would need to use some sort of grease with dielectric qualities. As stated above, the grease gets pushed out of the way of the pin and receptor and the thin layer of dielectric grease does not adversely impact it's flow of power.

As a system, one of the primary reasons that trailer lights act weird is a bad ground. Yes, on a seven pin connection you have a ground wire. But with dielectric grease on it, and the combined total power draw of the other pins this ground can be compromised. So, I want my trailer ball and hitch to also be a conductor (I.E. ground path) back to the negative side of the tow vehicle battery. But I too also want the hitch ball to be lubricated. Hence I am suggesting the use of an electrical contact grease for the trailer ball and hitch socket. This type of grease improves the electrical connection and still has a lubricating component.

Your thoughts?
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #35

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito13 View Post
Got the tip of the week from E trailer on rust. It mentions of greasing the hitch ball. Never done it. Sounds like rubber gloves and paper towels mess...

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-rust-pr...Prevention-edu

I have used a jar of this for about a decade now. four trailers of various forms. Still half full. Do it about twice a year and hit both of my hitch inserts just before towing a trailer. Probably put about as much as they use in tooth paste commercials are little less on the ball. It then moves into the hitch and as you use other the other trailers they get greased too.

Yeah the hitch gets a bit greasy and you have to watch your pant legs. But even if it is not greasy it will get your pants dirty and your leg very sore so I remove the insert when not towing.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:55 PM   #36

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trillium 5500
Oregon
Dryer Sheets

We keep a box of dryer sheets and put one on the ball (folded in half). Works great
KellyPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:28 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyPB View Post
We keep a box of dryer sheets and put one on the ball (folded in half). Works great

Dryer sheets have amazing properties.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #38

Name: Allison
Trailer: 2016 17' Spirit Deluxe
Texas
We use wax paper.

We use a fresh piece of wax paper each time we hitch. It works well and is completely clean. We use it on the sway control connections too. Happy trails!
Alli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #39

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I use wheel bearing grease and an empty 4 oz can from vegetables to cover the ball. It stays on the ball even when driving a bit, although I sometimes take the stinger out, depends on the situation. Can works well and easy to replace. I may try the wax idea, thanks for that. I use dielectric grease on the pigtail. Also may try the plastic topped ball, will research.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #40

Name: Barb
Trailer: Escape 19
Newfoundland
I was told that sand and debris can collect in grease and cause problems with constant friction, so I use powdered graphite, works great.
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote