Anyone tow with a Kia Telluride? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
My sister lives in Telluride, Colorado, the people of Telluride hate the Telluride, they say it gives their town a bad name, but Subaru is on the top of their list, I guess they just don't like KIA'S. If Subaru would have named one of there vehicles Telluride I guess the people of Telluride, Colorado would have loved it.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #22

Name: Scott
Indiana
Telluride towing

If I were advising one of my customers, I would refer to my TRAILERLIFE towing guide. This guide shows the vehicle FWD/AWD, 3.8L V6, towing 5,000. The Sorento AWD 3.3L V6 tows the same. All other Kia's tow 2000-3500#.
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #23

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
These Korean vehicles have no pedigree, so I would not buy one. I insist on a vehicle backed up by long competative (performance) development. Companies not engaged in racing can only copy someone elses work, and how well they do that is uncertain.
You pays yer money and takes yer chances with no pedigree.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
These Korean vehicles have no pedigree

Just because you are unaware of something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Heavy_Industries
Old 02-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #25

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp
MN
My friend has a Telluride and an R-Pod. Tows wonderfully in that 3-3.5k weight range, and would have recommended it as the top choice in this class until a few weeks ago. However, now that the new Highlander is out, I would have a hard time choosing the Kia over the Toyota, especially with the Tellurides selling at or above sticker. Kia has vastly improved in Reliability, but still years behind in resale value. That Highlander will retain a $5-10k premium on resale for some time, even if the sticker is a grand or two above the Telluride. One other model to consider is the Acura MDX (Honda Pilot Chassis), that platform is aging but have seen some amazing deals pop on CarGurus the last few months. $45-50k MSRP's marked down to mid/high $30's.
XBeatzX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #26

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Kia has ramped up their production from 50 to 60K per year to 100K per year. Hopefully that will take the pressure off supply and pricing. I think it is prudent if you can, to wait a year, let Kia work out the bugs, get the supply up, and have prices normalize. Right now, its the hottest SUV in the 3 row category. Next year, who knows, something else might take the lead.

I really like the design, but I am not too fond of the initial problem reports.

As far as lineage, Kia has been making cars for decades, and I could care less if they have a racing background.

The other vehicle I am somewhat interested in is the Honda Passport (new version, came out in 2019). The AWD version has a 5,000 pound tow rating. 2019 Passports are being discounted right now. (The Passport has two row seating rather than three).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
The other vehicle I am somewhat interested in is the Honda Passport (new version, came out in 2019). The AWD version has a 5,000 pound tow rating. 2019 Passports are being discounted right now. (The Passport has two row seating rather than three).
Mom has a Pilot, which is basically a longer Passport. Nice vehicle, gets in excess of 25 mpg on the highway, which seems pretty good for a largish 3-row SUV with a 280 hp V6. I would consider a Passport if I was in the market.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:24 PM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Pilots and Passports are pre-wired for 7-pin trailer wiring. Highlander is not. Telluride is not.

Our 2011 Pilot has 176K miles and going strong. No unscheduled repairs yet. It did have the front lower compression bushings replaced at 98K under a special warranty extension and the usual Takata airbag recalls, all at Honda’s expense. It’s a very comfortable long distance cruiser. We average about 25 mpg in mostly highway driving and about 18 mpg towing our 13’ Scamp.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:04 AM   #29

Registry
Interesting findings thus far on the new, latest, greatest SUVs.

I started looking at the Kia Telluride first. On the Telluride forum, people love them but the quality complaints are wide spread.

So off to looking at a Honda. Like the Honda Passport, how does it do? Checked the Passport forum, holy crap! 13 PAGES of infotainment system quality problems! Honda is having so many problems with this stuff that they are OUT of replacement parts. Imagine having a brand new car that dies on you, and you can't get parts!

Seems like mechanically, most of these SUVs are pretty good. Its the latest, greatest, electrical technology that is giving them problems. I have a friend with a brand new Honda CRV. Nothing but trouble with the electronics. Stuff doesn't shut off when you shut off your car. So the next time you get in, battery is dead. Does anyone remember to turn off radio, AC or heat, etc? Or do you count on the ignition switch shutting stuff down.

Seems like the latest, greatest whizzbang stuff is causing car makers new problems. As my wife and I get older, I was looking forward to the latest safety features, 360 cameras for backing up, etc.

The new wave your foot under the rear bumper to automatically open the rear hatch is another problem for Kia. All of a sudden it doesn't work. Only way to manually open the rear hatch is to crawl through on the inside of the car (inside release is close to the hatch). Imagine having a car full of your camping gear.... Several have reported the auto liftgate has failed. Top two Telluride models have the auto lift gate. The lower two models have a manual lift gate. Another has the check engine light come on on day 2 of ownership!!

I guess I will have to study up on the new Highlander next. Toyota seems to be very conservative on adopting the latest and greatest tecnhology.

Reviews on Youtube tend to be brand new car impressions.

People love the Kia's 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. But read the exclusions. The infotainment system warranty is only 3 year, 36,000 miles.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #30

Arizona
Registry
Anyone tow with a Kia Telluride?

How about a 2018-2019 Highlander? Leftover new or lightly used units can be found.

I try to buy the last year or two of a model generation, after problems have a chance to surface, bugs are worked out, and there’s a track record for reliability. I never, ever buy the first year of a new model or major redesign.

I’m also frugal, so I like to buy after the new model is introduced, which typically depresses prices of the old style.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Son-in-law picked up new Lexus RX350L last week. Foot wave to open hatch is not working. Brand new vehicle.
Anyway, as you get older, you keep both feet planted on the ground.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
How about a 2018-2019 Highlander? Leftover new or lightly used units can be found.

I try to buy the last year or two of a model generation, after problems have a chance to surface, bugs are worked out, and there’s a track record for reliability. I never, ever buy the first year of a new model or major redesign.

I’m also frugal, so I like to buy after the new model is introduced, which typically depresses prices of the old style.
This was going to be a treat for my wife, help her pick out her FIRST new car ever!! We both have been buying used for decades.

Wow, even a new Lexus with this problem!

One problem is on many brands, there aren't many options. Instead, if you want something, you have to buy a higher model, and get a bunch of stuff you don't want. Want the LED headlights? Then you get the automated lift gate. And then you can't get the 2nd row bench. Several of the brands now have four or five versions, very few actual options except for some dealer installed profit making stuff.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:38 PM   #33

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
This was going to be a treat for my wife, help her pick out her FIRST new car ever!! We both have been buying used for decades.

Wow, even a new Lexus with this problem!

One problem is on many brands, there aren't many options. Instead, if you want something, you have to buy a higher model, and get a bunch of stuff you don't want. Want the LED headlights? Then you get the automated lift gate. And then you can't get the 2nd row bench. Several of the brands now have four or five versions, very few actual options except for some dealer installed profit making stuff.
Honda pioneered trim-based packaging. No stand-alone options and just a few packages only available on certain trims. Others have followed suit. It's an efficient way to build cars and manage inventory. Having just a few choices means not getting stuck with a bunch of vehicles at the end of a model year that are hard to sell because they have a less desirable option list.

I understand your heart to pamper your wife. I cherry pick the used vehicles mine gets to see. My standards for "clean" are very, very high, pretty much indistinguishable from new. Most have had under 20K miles. She is really tickled with her (almost) new '18 RAV4, and I am tickled because it was $13K less than an equivalent new one.

And yes, because we wanted leather seats we were forced into the Limited trim, which also came with keyless entry and ignition, the full electronic safety suite with a gazillion sensors and cameras that cost a fortune to repair, and auto-leveling HID headlights that have drivers flashing at us even on low beam. And we could not get the 3500# tow package, which only comes on the Adventure trim.

At least Toyota's touch screen infotainment system seems pretty user friendly. Honda's is one of the worst, according to a recent CR article I read.

Arizona has some significant advantages when it comes to used vehicles. You have my blessing to buy your wife a brand-new Highlander! My wife cast a longing glance at one... until she saw the sticker.

Best wishes, whatever you decide.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:24 AM   #34

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Disappointing to read about the quality issues with the Telluride, but it seems about par for the course based on reading this thread. We are very happy with our ‘09 Kia Borrego V8 that we purchased in December, 2015 at less than 1/3 the initial MSRP. I bought it with 83,000 miles on it. Looked almost new. It now has 130,000 miles (16,000 miles of towing). I hope to keep it another 3 or 4 years until retirement towing the Casita.

However, I LOVE watching YouTube videos about trucks & SUVs!!!

Happy Camping,

Dean
Old 02-13-2020, 08:55 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Those infotainment problems have cost Honda... they are now below average in 3-year dependability
https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...dability-study
Hyundai/Kia is doing okay, just above average.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #36

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
my take on kia

bill I was in sales everyone straight commission guys took shortcut and bought Kias nothing but problems and for the most part we needed cars that would exceed 200k with no repairs. We also paid all our own expenses!

Kia didn't meet the test nothing but problems. No matter if you get a free loaner whatever when you go out at 5 in the morning and expect to go and you don't a day of commissions lost.

I stayed with GM and had no major problems oh I forgot 2 transmission in a 90 cadilac that went 450k and was still running strong when I sold it! Bought another only 2 door same year it went 200k before it got t-boned.

bob

I also don't like all the bells and whistles to foul you up

QUOTE=thrifty bill;767767]Interesting findings thus far on the new, latest, greatest SUVs.

I started looking at the Kia Telluride first. On the Telluride forum, people love them but the quality complaints are wide spread.

So off to looking at a Honda. Like the Honda Passport, how does it do? Checked the Passport forum, holy crap! 13 PAGES of infotainment system quality problems! Honda is having so many problems with this stuff that they are OUT of replacement parts. Imagine having a brand new car that dies on you, and you can't get parts!

Seems like mechanically, most of these SUVs are pretty good. Its the latest, greatest, electrical technology that is giving them problems. I have a friend with a brand new Honda CRV. Nothing but trouble with the electronics. Stuff doesn't shut off when you shut off your car. So the next time you get in, battery is dead. Does anyone remember to turn off radio, AC or heat, etc? Or do you count on the ignition switch shutting stuff down.

Seems like the latest, greatest whizzbang stuff is causing car makers new problems. As my wife and I get older, I was looking forward to the latest safety features, 360 cameras for backing up, etc.

The new wave your foot under the rear bumper to automatically open the rear hatch is another problem for Kia. All of a sudden it doesn't work. Only way to manually open the rear hatch is to crawl through on the inside of the car (inside release is close to the hatch). Imagine having a car full of your camping gear.... Several have reported the auto liftgate has failed. Top two Telluride models have the auto lift gate. The lower two models have a manual lift gate. Another has the check engine light come on on day 2 of ownership!!

I guess I will have to study up on the new Highlander next. Toyota seems to be very conservative on adopting the latest and greatest tecnhology.

Reviews on Youtube tend to be brand new car impressions.

People love the Kia's 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. But read the exclusions. The infotainment system warranty is only 3 year, 36,000 miles.[/QUOTE]
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:26 PM   #37

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

US News and World Report I think it is in their extensive automotive reviews will tell you what you get that is "better" buying new vs. buying used. Some years the changes are just cosmetic. Others the "base" package picks up several items that were originally only in the higher trims or an expensive package. Some years experience major engine or transmission changes.

Like they used to say about windows server operating systems. Service Pack 3 then it's for me. Major changes have bugs to work out. Server admins really hate to be beta testers.

New is seldom the best deal. Something two or three years old with low mileage will cost less and most dealers sell "certified" pre-owned which carry the balance of the warranty and will generally be a good bet mechanically.

Honda used to sell an SUV with an engine made by Izuzu if you popped the plastic "Honda" badge off the valve cover it actually said Izuzu. People were outraged. Unless they considered that Izuzu had been making commercial truck motors and transmissions for 50 years and were consider to be really good at it. Then one would think hey I'm getting commercial quality in a passenger vehicle for a good price because people are upset because it isn't a "real" Honda.

There are at least 2 or 3 Kia models we considered, will consider again when our older V6 Ford Escape (3500# tow) needs replacing. However I am not going to buy something where the back seat won't fold FLAT for cargo. Can't see how when traveling all the stuff set on the back seat area wouldn't just vibrate down the incline. And pretty sure the dog would find trying to lay on a seat back that is at an angle annoying.

Only thing worse than an annoyed wife on a long trip is a restless dog in back.

One other exercise in being cheap. Look at used vehicles of same model a few years older than what you are buying. Some really hold value, others not so much. Last but not least ask your local body shop about rust areas. Ford Escapes around 2012 & 2013 rust in very specific areas. All of them. Often a vehicle will have such a "weak spot" for rust. Worth knowing up front. My old Pontiac that model always rusted out around the gas cap. Like right in the middle of the rear quarter for several inches of flat around it. Go figure?

A good used vehicle that does what you need can come from any of the manufacturers. So to can a lemon. Research is best defense. Although forums will have the highs and the lows predominating. Sometimes one has to read between the lines to discard the I just bought it excitement or buyers remorse complaining.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #38

Missouri
are you still running

Are you still running windows 7 I am. I get nasty notes once in awhile I am sticking although I can get a windows 10 off ebay for 100bux. I am sticking for now!

so far everything running normal by the way!!

bob

AQUOTE=RogerDat;768401]US News and World Report I think it is in their extensive automotive reviews will tell you what you get that is "better" buying new vs. buying used. Some years the changes are just cosmetic. Others the "base" package picks up several items that were originally only in the higher trims or an expensive package. Some years experience major engine or transmission changes.

Like they used to say about windows server operating systems. Service Pack 3 then it's for me. Major changes have bugs to work out. Server admins really hate to be beta testers.

New is seldom the best deal. Something two or three years old with low mileage will cost less and most dealers sell "certified" pre-owned which carry the balance of the warranty and will generally be a good bet mechanically.

Honda used to sell an SUV with an engine made by Izuzu if you popped the plastic "Honda" badge off the valve cover it actually said Izuzu. People were outraged. Unless they considered that Izuzu had been making commercial truck motors and transmissions for 50 years and were consider to be really good at it. Then one would think hey I'm getting commercial quality in a passenger vehicle for a good price because people are upset because it isn't a "real" Honda.

There are at least 2 or 3 Kia models we considered, will consider again when our older V6 Ford Escape (3500# tow) needs replacing. However I am not going to buy something where the back seat won't fold FLAT for cargo. Can't see how when traveling all the stuff set on the back seat area wouldn't just vibrate down the incline. And pretty sure the dog would find trying to lay on a seat back that is at an angle annoying.

Only thing worse than an annoyed wife on a long trip is a restless dog in back.

One other exercise in being cheap. Look at used vehicles of same model a few years older than what you are buying. Some really hold value, others not so much. Last but not least ask your local body shop about rust areas. Ford Escapes around 2012 & 2013 rust in very specific areas. All of them. Often a vehicle will have such a "weak spot" for rust. Worth knowing up front. My old Pontiac that model always rusted out around the gas cap. Like right in the middle of the rear quarter for several inches of flat around it. Go figure?

A good used vehicle that does what you need can come from any of the manufacturers. So to can a lemon. Research is best defense. Although forums will have the highs and the lows predominating. Sometimes one has to read between the lines to discard the I just bought it excitement or buyers remorse complaining.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #39

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I drove beat up used cars since I was a teen . It seemed that everyday there was one more thing that needed repair or that I had to compensate for.
In 2011 when I retired I decided that I wanted a new truck so I bought one
In 2014 I got the new truck bug again and so I traded off my 2011 and bought a new 2014 with more bells and whistles
In 2019 the same bug bit me with the same results
In ten years the only time my trucks have been in the garage is for oil changes , tire rotation and one programming recall .
If everyone wanted to drive a 20 year old vehicle with 500,000 miles on the odometers eventually we would run out of used vehicles
New car buyers make the used car market possible
I’d rather spend my Summer weekends camping then lying under a vehicle playing backyard mechanic and taking the Lords name in vain
Right now I just hook up and head out , it works for me .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #40

Missouri
your way my way

I only bought 1 new truck, 3 new cars the rest used and its been a bunch. Every new rig I left the lot with deep regret primarily because I would drive as much as 60k a year. No matter what you do that is hard mileage on a car and it kills its resale value.

So one time I managed to keep a 76 Pontiac paid for of course it had a bunch of miles on it! I decided to try something and put all new belts, hoses bunch of other stuff on it and I drove it an additional 100k no problems.

Then I found a 90 Cadillac with 70k on it. it had a 4.5 I think I drove that car 450k it never left me stranded I would drive that thing as much as 350m in one day!

I sold it to get another same year only a 2 door drove it 100k bought it cheap. it got t-boned then I was stranded. LOL

My job was straight commission sales car expenses killed me but those cars all I did was put tires on them and change the oil. oh I was a stickler for changing transmission fluids also!

I don't know I can afford a new rig but apparently the 2015 Edge is going to serve me well and it was a salvage job. So far so good! There are just things I don't like with it but here I am 78 who knows!

Maybe we all get there just different ways!

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I drove beat up used cars since I was a teen . It seemed that everyday there was one more thing that needed repair or that I had to compensate for.
In 2011 when I retired I decided that I wanted a new truck so I bought one
In 2014 I got the new truck bug again and so I traded off my 2011 and bought a new 2014 with more bells and whistles
In 2019 the same bug bit me with the same results
In ten years the only time my trucks have been in the garage is for oil changes , tire rotation and one programming recall .
If everyone wanted to drive a 20 year old vehicle with 500,000 miles on the odometers eventually we would run out of used vehicles
New car buyers make the used car market possible
I’d rather spend my Summer weekends camping then lying under a vehicle playing backyard mechanic and taking the Lords name in vain
Right now I just hook up and head out , it works for me .