Anyone tow with a Kia Telluride? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2020, 08:17 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Anyone tow with a Kia Telluride?

I'm in the market for a new tow vehicle and have the Telluride in the mix of contenders.

I'm bringing this question here because many of you are so knowledgeable about vehicles. I'm trying to do my homework and this is part of it.

I read one post that says a Telluride is on a stretched Sorrento body, not sure if that's good or bad.

I've looked at the warranty which seems good, but it won't be good if it's in the shop all the time under warranty. I suppose that's where some of my other contenders, like Toyota, seem like a better choice since they aren't first year on the market vehicles.

I like all of the safety features of the Telluride, even the styling looks good. I plan on test driving one this weekend before I take my BMW X5 into the shop for some needed service, which is never cheap. My X5 has 175,000 miles on it and it's probably good for 225,000ish.....so I thought now might be a good time to get a new tow before dropping a few thousand for services.

I'm mainly in the SUV market since I have a Mercedes Sprinter when I need a truck-like vehicle, I pretty much consider it an enclosed truck.

Any thoughts, insights are appreciated.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #2

Name: Richard
Trailer: Shopping
Mississippi
Towing with Telluride

I am on my second Kia and I love them. I wish they made a truck.
As far as towing the factory towing recommendations should be followed.
I believe the chassis is all new for this vehicle.
Even if it is a stretched Sorento, a Yukon XL is a stretched Yukon.
nascar5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #3

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar5776 View Post
I am on my second Kia and I love them. I wish they made a truck.
As far as towing the factory towing recommendations should be followed.
Thank you for your reply. I just signed up for the Telluride Forum just today as I'm looking for all the feedback I can get.
I will definitely follow the factory towing recommendation.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I’m considering either the Telluride or a 2020 Highlander for my wife. As a Kia, the MSRP on the Telluride is lower but dealers are marking them up over retail. Better warranty, I like the styling better, more leg room in the third row. Kia knocked it out of the park on this one.

We typically buy just used but it’s time and it fits in the budget.

5,000 pound tow rating I figure it’s enough for our Escape 19 (and obviously the Trillium 1300.).

Highlander gets slightly better fuel economy and enjoys the Toyota reputation.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #5

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I’m considering either the Telluride or a 2020 Highlander for my wife. As a Kia, the MSRP on the Telluride is lower but dealers are marking them up over retail. Better warranty, I like the styling better, more leg room in the third row. Kia knocked it out of the park on this one.
If the Telluride can go for 200,000 with reliability and safety, I think it will be a great SUV. I really like the folding exterior mirrors.
To me it looks very similar to my BMW X5, but to buy a new X5 would be $30-40K more than the Telluride.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #6

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Lisa,

Generally speaking, I like Kias. By no great plan or design, we have 3 Kias in our family. My daughter has a 2013 Kia Rio that she bought used with 83,000 miles. My wife drives a 2008 Kia Rondo with 115,000 miles on it. We bought it new. I drive a 2009 Kia Borrego V8 with 129,500 miles on it. We bought it in December, 2015 with 83,000 miles on it to tow our new to us 2005 Casita 17 FD. All three Kias have been dependable and reliable. We loved the Kia new warranty on the Rondo.

The Borrego is our tow vehicle. It is rated to tow 7500 lbs with 750 lbs on the hitch assuming a WDH. It has been a more than capable tow vehicle. At 11,000 miles per year (4,000 miles towing), we plan to keep it another 3 to 5 years.

Bottom line, we enjoy our Kias and love our Borrego as a tow vehicle.

If I were on the market for a mid-sized SUV to tow a small camper, the Telluride would be at the top of our list.

Wishing you the best,

Dean
Old 01-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #7

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
If I were on the market for a mid-sized SUV to tow a small camper, the Telluride would be at the top of our list.

Wishing you the best,

Dean
Thank you for your reply and testimonial of the Kias you have.
I have a 4:30 p.m. appointment to test drive one today. I've only seen videos and online photos.
I'll report back with my impressions.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #8

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
Thank you for your reply and testimonial of the Kias you have.
I have a 4:30 p.m. appointment to test drive one today. I've only seen videos and online photos.
I'll report back with my impressions.
Hi Lisa,

I am very interested in your impressions. Other than reading about them, watching a few videos, and seeing a couple of them in parking lots, I have never been in one or driven one.

Looking forward to your review.

Thx,

Dean
Old 01-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #9

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B-17'
Washington
Y not tow with the Sprinter?
Glass House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #10

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
Y not tow with the Sprinter?
I do tow with the Sprinter when I want to take my Vespa scooter, but for regular vacations without bikes or scooters, the Sprinter is big. It's 22 feet long, so with the 16' attached that's 38 feet ...may as well get a class A just kidding, but it does get to be pretty long.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #11

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Looking forward to your review.

Thx,

Dean
Back from the test drive. I REALLY liked it. Shifting was nice and smooth through the 8 gears, visibility was good, no feeling of claustrophobia.
This one was an "S" version, one I wouldn't buy, but I wanted to at least drive one to see if it is something I want, and yes I want one.
This dealer has a $4k mark-up, so I'll wait until all of the hoopla dies down and there is room to haggle.
I'd like to get an SX or EX Prestige version.
It has good handling, good braking, seemed quiet in the cabin. When I compare it to my older 2001 BMW X5, the main difference in the feel of the drive is the Telluride has a lighter feel, the X5 is very tank like, heavy, but I don't mind it....it was just noticeable that the Telluride was lighter.

Those are my first impressions.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #12

Registry
I'll be interested in your opinion once you drive one. Seems like either the EX or SX models have what I would prefer (SX MSRP is $4500 more!)

Two suggestions to get a decent price:

1. Buy through Costco. From what I have read you will pay less than MSRP.

2. Check car gurus.com. There are dealers that aren’t as greedy out there.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #13

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Back from the test drive. I REALLY liked it. Shifting was nice and smooth through the 8 gears, visibility was good, no feeling of claustrophobia.
This one was an "S" version, one I wouldn't buy, but I wanted to at least drive one to see if it is something I want, and yes I want one.
This dealer has a $4k mark-up, so I'll wait until all of the hoopla dies down and there is room to haggle.
I'd like to get an SX or EX Prestige version.
It has good handling, good braking, seemed quiet in the cabin. When I compare it to my older 2001 BMW X5, the main difference in the feel of the drive is the Telluride has a lighter feel, the X5 is very tank like, heavy, but I don't mind it....it was just noticeable that the Telluride was lighter.

Those are my first impressions.
Hi Lisa,

Very nice. Our 09 Kia Borrego only has a 6 speed transmission (4 plus 2 overdrives). I typically tow in 4th. Since it is a V8, lots of torque. I bet the 8 speed is sweet and helps with MPGs.

I agree with you 100% in terms of waiting for the hoopla to die down and buying closer to dealer invoice rather than $4K over MSRP.

Cool beans!

Take care,

Dean
Old 01-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In the end, it's simply another 3-row, FWD/AWD, V6 crossover with a 5000# tow rating. It's a crowded field. Shop hard. There are some indications the auto market is softening, so time is probably your friend.

The 3.8L engine has been around a while and seems to have a decent reputation for longevity. Past versions were pretty thirsty, but with GDI and a modern 8-speed transmission, it probably hits close to the segment average for fuel economy. Consider towing set-up along with all the other factors. Does it offer factory 7-pin wiring?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
It would have to be one fantastic vehicle before I would pay $4000 over MSRP
There are numerous good vehicles capable of towing a FG trailer on the market and they are selling for far less than their MSRP
Sometimes brand loyalty is an obstacle to making a rational / logical decision

PS ; My daughter has owned 2 Kia’s and both had premature transmission failures ! She liked the color ??
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:10 AM   #16

California
Registry
I can definitely wait on this as I do have two capable tow vehicles right now. I was just wanting something newer with some added safety features. Plus my X5 needs some service and I was waffling between putting some money in it or just selling as-is with full disclosure and getting something new.

About the 7 pin factory wiring, I was surprised yesterday to see it is a 4 pin configuration from the factory.

carguru was a good tip, at least it was interesting to see which dealers are marking them up.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I can definitely wait on this as I do have two capable tow vehicles right now. I was just wanting something newer with some added safety features. Plus my X5 needs some service and I was waffling between putting some money in it or just selling as-is with full disclosure and getting something new.

About the 7 pin factory wiring, I was surprised yesterday to see it is a 4 pin configuration from the factory.

carguru was a good tip, at least it was interesting to see which dealers are marking them up.
My wife bought a new (2019) small SUV with tow package ( 2” Receiver hitch , bigger engine ) The plug in on the back of the vehicle is only a 4 pin and there are no provisions for adding a brake controller .
From my research the only 3500 lb trailer the vehicle is designed to tow is a boat trailer
The term tow package is rather deceiving with little to do with reality
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have been looking/comparing the Highlander and Telluride. The latter has 10% more horsepower but the former maybe coming out with a newer model. The Telluride EX also has the air suspension option which is nice for towing. I'd make the brake controller install a condition of the sale...
Old 01-31-2020, 11:03 PM   #19

Registry
As always, lists like the one I have attached below tend to attract complaints, but they are sobering. Might be best to wait for year 2 on this model.

I think the four wire plug on the back was just a mistake on the part of Kia, rather than a representation of its towing prowess. In the world of asian 3 row V6 tow rigs, the Highlander package is more sensible, still doesn't include seven pin or trailer brake.

https://www.kiatelluride.org/threads...omplaints.396/
Old 02-01-2020, 08:06 AM   #20

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
As always, lists like the one I have attached below tend to attract complaints, but they are sobering. Might be best to wait for year 2 on this model.
Sobering indeed!
I did notice that a lot of the members only have a few post count, so some of those could be trolls posting.
Waiting a couple of years to buy a first generation vehicle though is solid advice.
I'm going to put some maintenance dollars into my X5 and wait a while longer before purchasing a new tow vehicle.