Anyone tow with a Rendezvous? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2015, 06:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
Anyone tow with a Rendezvous?

I'm (ever so slowly) thinking about buying a different used vehicle for towing. It will replace a 2000 grand caravan.

On my list for the vehicle is:
1. 6 cyl. for a little more power; can tow my 13' scamp
2. a comfortable car that rides well and allows the riders to sit higher
3. have some cargo space & room for grandkids when not towing
4. good towing miles per gallon; not cost and arm and leg!

I searched this forum and have seen no mention of anyone towing with one. Over the past few weeks I have been looking online at used CXL's (means loaded) which were made up thru 2007 and then replaced with the Buick Enclave. The Rendezvous seems to meet the needs on my list.

Is there anyone on the forum who owns or tows with a Buick Rendezvous?
What do you think of them?
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I towed for a short time with a Rendezvous (one season), I have had many (many, many) vehicles and my opinion was that this was one of the worst vehicles I ever owned. Major repair issues (engine, suspension, brakes), uncomfortable, poor power (V6), poor fuel economy. again this is my opinion and experience.
The one positive is it did offer lots of storage and luggage space.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #3

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We tow a 1978 17' with a 4cyl car so v6 should not have a problem with a little 13'. The weight is likely only about a 1000 lbs the 17' unit is only 2190lbs with fresh water and propane full other wise empty they very depending on build year, location, options installed, floor plan and depends on wall glass a little thicker or thinner; with bolers could be 2500 lbs. for a 17' unit. The 13' units will very as well we have a scale at our local recycle place you may also, sweet talk and maybe the will weigh it for you ;-)

P.S. have been told the scamp can weigh more do not know why?
Old 03-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mark

We don't have anyone on our list that tows with a Rendezvous. Glad ro add one if there's anyone who does.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...6oSPkw/pubhtml

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #5

Name: Walt
Trailer: 2008 Casita SD
Texas
We own a2003 Buick CXL Rendevous. Great SUV!! Completely loaded including sun roof ( which is useless for us). Has 130K miles and still going good. Has the third seat which is useless for us too. Lots of storage. We have not towed a travel trailer with it because we have always had 17' Casitas. Think the weight would be too much for it.We use our pickup...
wecan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
Is there anyone on the forum who owns or tows with a Buick Rendezvous?
What do you think of them?
We towed for a year with a Pontiac Aztek (cousin of the Rendezvous) and realized that the transmission wasn't up to pulling any camper. Our transmission mechanic advised us of that (after we experienced transmission issues and had to have it rebuilt).

I wouldn't advise towing with one.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #7

Registry
And reading Ian's commnets - yep, we'd agree. The car was a money pit. Consumer reports was right about it.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
The Rendezvous had an optional towing package ($300) that increased the tow rating to 3500lbs. Aside from the usual upgraded coolers components the package included rear air shocks and a built-in compressor.
The tow package sounds like a good deal for the little extra money.

Our Rendezvous isn't equipped with it, but we have a full-size van for towing. As well, we haven't had mechanical issues with our Rendezvous...the secret is to flush the GM Dexcool/Deathcool coolant and replace it with something less toxic to the engine gaskets.
Darrell O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #9

Name: Walt
Trailer: 2008 Casita SD
Texas
Rendevous & Aztek

We also had a 2001 Pontiac Aztec. Was also top of the line. The tranny was a little weak. Never had any problem with it but didn't think it had enough power to pull anything. It has a different transmission. Aztec had straight axle and the Rendevous has independent rear suspension.
wecan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
On the fuel economy sometimes a small V8 that is running at low rpm's will do better than a large V6 running hard. A 4 cylinder will always be working hard to tow which makes having a good transmission and gear ratio's for towing more important with the smaller engine.

We find the 2005 Ford Escape V6 we have is good with a 13 ft. Scamp. Little weak on the braking power and soft brake feel for my taste but certainly sufficient. Rated 3500 lbs. Our mileage on highway is little effected by towing. We slow down to 62 or so when towing instead of 70 mph and the reduced speed is almost enough to offset the fuel economy loss from towing.

Still hit 20 mpg on US 23 (good and slightly rolling interstate) I imagine mountains or the sharper hills of say the Ozarks might yield different results. Drops to the high teens for mpg when doing interstate around Detroit or on non-divided highway where there are lights and some stop and go.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #11

Name: Larry and Gayle
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
We picked up our 2012 Scamp 13' in May of 2012 with our 2005 Rendezvous, towed it home to Missouri and then in the fall/spring to California for Christmas then across lower US to Florida and returned to MO in Mid March.

We took out the back seats and allowed me to carry my trike (which does not fold).

About 8000 miles.

Had the Transmission flushed in Tuscon.

Transmission flush was preventative, not called for.

We replaced the TV with a white Silverado, which wifey thought was more color coordinated in 2013.

Last summer she took it to NC and picked up a 1984 Trillium with our younger daughter and towed it effortlessly and problem free to Southwestern Kansas, where the daughter lives.

Not a single issue and I would not be afraid to tow our Scamp again.

Hope that I am not raining on any parades.
Larry and Gayle D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #12

Florida
Larry do you have any mpg info, towing and not towing, engine size, trailer weight, tongue weight.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Going back Post #3
13' Scamps WILL weigh more than 1000 lbs ready to go. There's no need to know why, just that they will.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:49 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
Thanks for the replies. I did my homework before asking the question. The "rus" can tow 2000 lbs without the tow package or 3500 with it. I have not been able to find one with the package. When I test drove one the other day I could see how it might be a little underpowered when towing. The CXL is very nicely equipped and comfortable to ride long distances in. It also has a lot of cargo storage when the 3rd seat is stored in the floor.

In reading the number of reviews of people that have owned them, many love the car (not for towing however) and drive them many miles without problems. But some say if you get a bad one they are nothing but a headache for mechanical repairs.

I guess I will keep looking for that "perfect brand" for towing! Started getting interested in an older Acura MDX but it looks like they burn premium fuel
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:11 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Fred's average Scamp 13 weighs over 1,700 pounds. And his lightest Boler 17 was just under 2,600 pounds. I don't know what 17 post #3 is referring to that weights under 2,200 pounds. I pay no attention to dry weights, even as comparators.

Fred's chart is invaluable as is Norm's rig combo chart.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:34 AM   #16
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Hi Mark.. my neighbor had a Ren a few years ago and she asked me the same question. How would it be as a TV. I did the online research and could only find one Rev towing review, here..... Can-Am RV :: Buick Rendezvous towing 25 Airstream

Apparently the Ren is a very capable TV. Note the Buick Enclave is much better and that would be my choice if I were to go domestic.

The Acura could to the job too and a very nice reliable high end ride.

PS... our TV an Infiniti G35 also uses a high performance 3.5 V6, which is similar to the Acura's 3,5. Infinity recommends premium fuel but when not towing we found the mid grade works fine with no ill effects. My cousin drives a Nissan 350Z coupe and he has been using regular fuel, no problem.

There are a number of articles that talk about the use of different fuel grades. The net is that the modern engines adjust themselves when they detect regular fuel and all out performance is reduced if you put the pedal to the metal but otherwise for everyday driving, works fine.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:10 AM   #17

Registry
If you know a good transmission mechanic, talk to them about towing and ask for vehicle recommendations; when our Aztek was in getting transmission work, our mechanic / guru advised us that although cars / trucks are rated to tow specific amounts, they are not all equal, and although the towing specs look good on paper, the vehicle may not tow well in at all due to the way the transmission is built. Thats how we found out that although the Aztek is rated to tow 3500, it's not the same as another vehicle rated to tow 3500. I don't remember everything he said (he really was a transmission geek). But part of the conversation was a list of vehicles that he recommended as tow vehicles.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:15 AM   #18
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
.... our mechanic / guru advised us that although cars / trucks are rated to tow specific amounts, they are not all equal, and although the towing specs look good on paper, the vehicle may not tow well in at all due to the way the transmission is built.
QUOTE OF THE DAY!

So true..... Thnxs for posting Sheryl.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:20 AM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
tow vehicle

We had the Honda Pilot 3.5 v-6 same as the older MDX Acura The Pilot could tow 4500lb where the MDX could tow 5000lb .The MDX is a fine tow vehicle and any of the eggs it would be quite good .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:38 AM   #20

Florida
I would imagine if you're purchasing a General Motors V6, no matter the umbrella brand, you are getting the same transmission in a model year whether it's a Pontiac or Buick. Is this true?

I understand that V6 Hondas, Odyssey and Pilot for example use the same engine and transmission.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16