anyone tow with a subaru forester? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #1

Name: Jill
Trailer: in the market
California
anyone tow with a subaru forester?

I havent gone into the dealers but the books are a bit confusing. It goes from towing '1000 lbs, to 1,5oo, and some say it just means thats how much unless you add equipment. I dont want to hurt my car, so need some advice if available Does anyone else tow with this car ? and if so , what
just jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It depends on the year. At one time it was rated 2400/200#, but the current generation is only rated 1500/150#. And yes, sometimes special equipment, like a transmission cooler and trailer brakes are required for the maximum rating.

Best way to get complete, accurate towing information is to google something like "2016 Subaru Forester Owner's Manual." Download the PDF and read the section on towing. Everything you need to know is in there. Nothing a dealer tells you can alter or override the manual, and many salespeople are sadly uninformed.

Best wishes sorting it out!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #3

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
The 2019 Forester is the same as my 2017 Crosstrek. It tows 1000 lbs without brakes, 1500 lbs with brakes and a 150 lb max tongue weight. I tow my 13 foot Boler which weighs 1046 lbs with my Crosstrek. So far I haven't had any cause for complaint.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #4

Name: Jill
Trailer: in the market
California
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It depends on the year. At one time it was rated 2400/200#, but the current generation is only rated 1500/150#. And yes, sometimes special equipment, like a transmission cooler and trailer brakes are required for the maximum rating.

Best way to get complete, accurate towing information is to google something like "2016 Subaru Forester Owner's Manual." Download the PDF and read the section on towing. Everything you need to know is in there. Nothing a dealer tells you can alter or override the manual, and many salespeople are sadly uninformed.

Best wishes sorting it out!
Thanks! And I will pull up my book tomorrow. What a nut I can’t believe I didn’t just do that in the first place. I had done some reading via the www and it was saying that the specs hadn’t changed on the car but the laws had, or something like that so I was getting kind of twisted. Mine is a 2017. Any ideas what the lightest trailer would be to look for? I’ve been looking at scamps of course and the burro, But seeing another one listed called the happy camper? Something like that. Anyway I am enjoying it but I will enjoy it more after I read my book so thank you :-)
just jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Tow with a forester

Hi this past September we towed our 13ft Boler to Edmonton from Ontario and back. It was working pretty hard going over the hills around Lake Superior. On average it was pretty good but there where times I wished for something a little bigger. We have. 2010 Forester.
Tom karges is offline   Reply With Quote