Anyone towing with a Jeep Renagade yet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #1

Name: Rollie
Trailer: Currently shopping
Arizona
Anyone towing with a Jeep Renagade yet?

Have any of you tried towing a rig with one of the new 2015 or 2016 Jeep Renagade?
Arizona3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A recent thread you might find interesting. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tow-73914.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #3

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
The Jeep Renegade is in fact a FIAT 500..dressed-up in a cute macho wrapper !
The Jeep folks (Chrysler) now own the troubled FIAT line of vehicles.

You might check in with Consumer Reports. They found the transmission lacking in a lot of ways...never sure what gear it should be in.
The engine also leaves a lot to be desired.

This offering will live up to the F.I.A.T. reputation: F. Fix. I. it. A. again T. Tony !

For as long as I can remember FIAT has produced junk.

Suggest you find a real tow vehicle...Think Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, Honda or Ford.....you will be a happier camper!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I believe it's the other way round: Fiat acquired the troubled Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/RAM family. May not change your assessment either way…

In any case, the previous posting did not turn up any active forum members towing with the Renegade. If none come forward this round, there's probably an owner's forum for the Renegade by now. You might check there and see what folks are saying about towing.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #5

Name: Shelley
Trailer: 1974 Trillium
British Columbia
Is the Renegade smaller than a Wrangler? I tow my 13' Trillium with my '09 Wrangler if that helps any. I can't recall what a Renegade is capable of. I guess it also depends on what you are towing.
NitKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #6

Name: Rollie
Trailer: Currently shopping
Arizona
The engine in the little jeep is the tiger shark 2.4 l rig with the 9 speed transmission.. A friend of mine who is a Jeep engineer says the tiger shark engine was developed by a Japanese and the Korea auto group for use in their rigs. Jeep bought the rights to use it ( and buy it from the group) from them as they overbuilt the little engine in perperation to using a turbo on it in coming years. It is used in a number of jap and Korea cars and has had very little problems to date. ( I checked the web and you do not see many problems posted with the engine as compared to other engines) The transmission is US built and is used in a number of other cars with few problems to date, and is scheduled to go into the new Jeep compass next year and is used in some other Jeep's with larger engines, again with few problems.. He says the big problem with these rigs is that they have had some problems with the electrical and software in the rigs due to some sloppy engineering, He say that is fixed now he thinks.
My rig runs and drive well with mileages of about 25 in town ( AC runnng) and about 32 on the road.. I am getting it ready to tow my 1972 Hunter Compact (1360 lb) and should be ready to go soon with the big problem is getting the hitch and wiring done.. Nasty setup to do both as they really pack the jeep with stuff in places where you need to get to do the work.. The dealer wanted $1200 to do the job and two hitch installers refused to do it.. I finally found a guy to put the hitch on and it took him three hours.. I did the basic electrical with the Curt kit and that was easy but getting power wires up to the battery was really nasty.. I do not have brakes on this trailer but if I ever get a rig with them putting the brake controller is going to be real nasty...My advice is to find some sucker who will quote you a fixed price for the whole job then run away until he gets it done and he will be really upset once he gets into it..
Arizona3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When doing a brake controller, the brake pedal signal is the tough one. But if the manufacturer provides a plug to connect a curt light converter into you can pick up the brake signal going into the curt. Beats trying to get to the brake pedal. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote