anyone using a Reese 66069 on their scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Easy Peasy....

1. While not mentioned in the instructions, the references to "A" frame and Chalet type trailers is identical in several dealer ads I looked at for the hitch, suggesting that it is the usual cut and paste text from the mfg. And, the example shown in the instructions is a Pop-up.

2. The picture indicated seems to be of that customers vehicle and not provided by the manufacturer or the dealer

3. Of about 30 "Ask the Expert" questions on that link page, only one pertains to a FGRV as we know it, a 17' Casita and the vendor recommended against using it as it was approaching it's limit.

4. And the Biggie..... According to Reese customer service: (Contact - Reese)
that is no longer made and is listed as an obsolete part. But indicated that some dealers, such as Etrailer.com, may still have old stock on the shelf.

Again, I wonder what Reese & their dealers may know but isn't mentioning, and why was one on eBay for 1/2 price??????

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
.............snip..............

3. Of about 30 "Ask the Expert" questions on that link page, only one pertains to a FGRV as we know it, a 17' Casita and the vendor recommended against using it as it was approaching it's limit.
Exactly!
And since the O.P.'s Scamp likely falls well below those (weight) limits, it'll be fine.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #23

Name: Blaine
Trailer: 16ft scamp camper
Mississippi
Registry
Thanks MC1 , also done that back in the 70s, 71 to 73 were very lite every where, 74 up they beefed up every thing , brakes to, all the V-6 pintos had the 8" rear end and same brake shoes as the ford ranger, 90 amp alternator (do not know why but all v-6 got them) power steering and power brakes, I also have air cond, needed down here its hot, I could toss in a 5.0 easy , just use the mustang II oil pan and mounts , bolt in, but I am looking for gas mileage ,not speed , not in a hurry and a lot of time to get there, to me the early ones I would not tow anything big, had a coalman popup I pulled with my new 72 pinto back then , worked my way up to a motor home and now down sizing because of price of gas, 3.20 a gallon for the cheep stuff, thanks for the reply , good to see I am not the only pinto nut here
Pinto-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #24

Mississippi
Registry
thanks bob for that bit of info, I did not know that they did not make it anymore, and now know why for the 1/2 price, guess the other dealer did not get the memo, some are asking close to $700 for it, but my total camper weight is less than 2000 lbs , and TW is now 300 lbs I guess I am in the middle of the ball park, but still got see If it will fit without reinventing the wheel , if not soon to be on E-bay again, my stock scamp weight is 1750, Tw 190 , empty, lP bottles empty also , no water in tanks,
Old 03-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is always the Andersen anti sway set up Andersen Manufacturing Inc.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto-One View Post
thanks bob for that bit of info, I did not know that they did not make it anymore, and now know why for the 1/2 price, guess the other dealer did not get the memo, some are asking close to $700 for it, but my total camper weight is less than 2000 lbs , and TW is now 300 lbs I guess I am in the middle of the ball park, but still got see If it will fit without reinventing the wheel , if not soon to be on E-bay again, my stock scamp weight is 1750, Tw 190 , empty, lP bottles empty also , no water in tanks,
----------------------------------------------------------------

Mfg's weights are only a WAG for a basic and dry unit. Take a look here for real weights and, when you get a chance, get yours weighed:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Old 03-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Thanks MC1 , all the V-6 pintos had the 8" rear end and same brake shoes as the ford ranger,
Blaine, I didn't know that the 8" was part of the V6 Pinto pkg. I took an 8" out of a Mercury Comet. It did bolt right in the Pinto chassis. Also note a Boss Mustang rear fold down seat also bolted right into the Pinto. Who would have guessed.

Here is the set up we are using on our current mid sized car/G35. With the 750lb bars it is a little more than you would need. Sometimes working around the bottles can be a pain, but doable.
Attached Thumbnails
hitch 2005.JPG  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #28

Mississippi
Registry
see what you mean on the weights, and guessaments , yes I will just have to weigh it to see what I realy got , might have a wait until august so I will have my hands on some certified aircraft scales , every three year under faa part 135 aircraft you must do a reweigh of the aircraft, like people they also pick up some pounds over time, aft CG will kill you very soon if you stall the aircraft, thanks MC1 on the photos hitch set up, I hope I do not have to do that much over kill, have a set but the bars are too big, had them on a older larger camper I pulled with my truck,
Old 03-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #29

Mississippi
Registry
One more old thing I pull behind my pinto to car meets , 1979 commutacar how many of you remember this
Attached Thumbnails
Image022.jpg  
Old 03-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
So, does the hitch receiver protect the Pinto gas tank?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #31
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
thanks MC1 on the photos hitch set up, I hope I do not have to do that much over kill, have a set but the bars are too big, had them on a older larger camper I pulled with my truck,
For sure your 16' Scamp is a lightweight by comparison. We have the right size/rating bars for our 23'TT.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #32

Mississippi
Registry
pinto hitch

yes it does, its a class two but look like a class 3, as for the gas tank was not the problem , it was the filler tube that went into the tank, when you smashed into the back of the car the fenders would flare out pulling the tube out, if you had more than a 1/4 tank of gas you had fuel on the ground, fix was a longer tube in the recall , I know because back in the 70s I worked at a ford dealer putting these on, if it had the small rear end it also got sheld in the front of the tank because of sharp edges of the rear end cover , if you had the v-6 8" rear it did not, here are a few photos of the hitch, its held on by 3 on each side 3/8 bolts, tied in to the rear spring brackets and bumper shock brackets , not going anywhere , the bumper is a double wall design and weighs about 75 lbs,
Old 03-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #33

I'm sure that there is a truck-stop, recycling center, gravel seller or a scrap yard nearby that you can weigh in at. Better to know now than later.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #34

Mississippi
Registry
kind of none around near here, there is a scrap yard here and been to it but do not want to take a chance of cutting up the tires , but will wait until the guys show up with the aircraft scales at my hanger , a case of beer should cover it, besides I have been pulling the scamp around over 7 years, but would like to now anyway if it does need a diet , along with me, can not be too much , will post when I find out , later Blaine
Old 03-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #35

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
When they say it is for an A-frame trailer, I take it that this can be used for any trailer with an A-frame (like our FGRV's), and not a single pole trailer (like a boat trailer). To me, it doesn't matter what is on the frame, just the shape of the frame itself.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #36

Ya But... I have never seen a pop-up tent trailer (a mentioned use) heavy enough to need a wd hitch that didn't have that style frame, and the example shown is either a Chalet or an A-liner. That would make the term "tent and A frame trailers" redundant.

But it's a moot point because they discontinued the item anyway.

But that begs the question of putting a wd hitch on a unibody Pinto anyway.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #37

Mississippi
Registry
guess that would be the same as putting a WD hitch on a unibody Subaru , unibody Honda eliment , a unibody ford Escape , a unibody Volvo, unbody Toyota , VW , etc , and I do have a rare class two hitch (looks like a class three) but in the interest of more safety I am installing the hitch just wanted to know if anyone have used one, so what if it has been Discontinued , should be ok , my car has been Discontinued over 34 years , end of thread , new info how it works , new 16 food scamper weight using certified scales and getting the reese 66069 hitch to work, every one have a great week,
Old 03-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #38

Without even wanting to compare the engineering quality in the vehicles listed to that of a 35+ y.o Pinto, I will comment that a number of those mentioned do state in the owners manuals: "Do Not use weight distributing hitches on this vehicle" And hitch mfgs. such as Reese, also include the same warnings with many Class-III hitches for uni-body vehicles (Such as the Honda CRV)

And in searching the available hitch information, I can't find a single mention of using a WD hitch with a Class-II hitch, even if it has a 2" receiver.

In Europe you can't just put any hitch you want on a vehicle and start towing anything you want. Maybe it's time that the NHTSA starts thinking in the same direction. Sorta like on airplanes, where you generally can't change as much as a rivet without FAA permission.

I'm Out.....

Old 03-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #39

Mississippi
Registry
Last one, it has a 2" receiver and I too looked for info on this old hitch, made by valley stamped on it , found it in a auto junk yard on a pinto station wagon in the early 80s, and well used it over the years , now even starting to find less listed in the parts book as cars get older, only info on the new cars so I am on my own on this one, thanks everyone for there 2 cents and more on info, now back to work on airplanes , no I do not need permission to change a rivet , but I do have to send tham a form saying how many I did and make three copys and mail them one , and when the paper work weighs as much as the aircraft it is then airworthy , im done ,
Old 03-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #40
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Last one, it has a 2" receiver and I too looked for info on this old hitch, made by valley stamped on it
What the pro's typically do is reinforce the factory receivers so they are stronger and do not flex when the WDH is installed.

This link shows a custom made, pro set up. They spread the receiver platform across a large area. Works great on full frame or uni-bodies.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...8&d=1389441162

I made similar mods on our Mini Van as shown below.
Attached Thumbnails
quest 24-2484_IMG.jpg  

Tags
scamp