Average Dry-to-Wet %-age increase? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2009, 07:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Escape A 17 ft
Hi All,

I'm trying to determine if the 3500-lb max towing capacity rating of my Honda Odyssey is enough to 'comfortably' handle one of the new Escape 19-footers. While they ring in at a 2800 lbs equipped (according to Escape's website), I'm curious as to how much weight is typically added to a travel trailer like ours once it's trundling down the road.

I had the thought that there might be an average percentage-based increment that has some historical proof from the group: ie- a 13' owner adds 'x' amount of weight, a 17' owner adds 'y' amount, and so on.

Any comments? Thanks!
~Tim
Tim Ryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I'm curious as to how much weight is typically added to a travel trailer like ours once it's trundling down the road.
Link to my Fiber Stream weight topic

Right now my Fiber Stream is at the welder's shop getting the wimpy frame straightened and reinforced. I had to totally empty it before I delivered it. As I am in the Weights & Measures business, it may be time to conduct another report of my conditions. I will repeat all of the weighing once I get the trailer back.

Stay tuned...
Old 09-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

My 13' Trillium lists at 1450# on the website. We weighed it a couple of weeks ago with just minor personal items and very little water and it weighed 1700#.

It seems that these trailers are all spec'ed low re weight. The only true way to find out is to actually weigh one.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Tim,

Look at the tongue weight of the Escape and then look in your owners manual to see the weight you can put on the hitch.

I don't think this would be a good fit.

Don't forget when you add the weight distribution hitch you need to add that weight as well.

We wouldn't attempt to pull a 19 Escape with our Odyssey. Our opinion.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Tim,

Have you read through this weight information from the Oregon Gathering weigh in?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...=36145&st=0

Maybe that will give you a good idea, but i guess the 19 foot Escape they had isn't in that data. I think the second page has good information from Patrick who tows with an Odyssey.

My owners manual is 550 miles away. I am curious what it says about tongue weight.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Escape A 17 ft
Quote:
Look at the tongue weight of the Escape and then look in your owners manual to see the weight you can put on the hitch.
The tongue weight for the 19' Escape on the company's website is ~250lbs (approx. 10% of the trailer weight), while the max tongue weight in my Owners Manual is 350lbs (again, 10% of the max rated towing capacity for the Odyssey). So, technically, it's well-within the limits.

Still, I'm curious if there's an average percentage that we add to our trailers above and beyond the base weight. Keep adding your info to the list!
Tim Ryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
This is not scientific but I know others who use the 75% rule. They do not recommend a trailer for which the the weight, exceeds 75% of the maximum tow limit of the vehicle, so if vehicle can tow maximum of 3500 lbs, they would suggest not towing a trailer that exceeded 75% of 3500 lbs., which would be 2625 lbs.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Still, I'm curious if there's an average percentage that we add to our trailers above and beyond the base weight. Keep adding your info to the list!
Tim,

I don't think there is an average percentage (dry/empty x 1.x = avg tow wt.) that is used. What I have heard is to figure a wet weight - Empty base weight plus clear, gray and black tank capacity times 8lbs per gallon. Then weigh your gear and keep adding until you reach gross weight. That way you can play with the variables to stay within safe towing limits. Leave the weight set at home, only bring 50lbs of dog food or don't fill the water tank....

This method also lets you keep an eye on CG (center of gravity). You will know where the weight is and can adjust your tongue weight accordingly.

Experience will give you the optimum weight and distribution for your tug.

Have fun

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
No "real world" info on an Escape 19' but from someone who actually weighed a 17'B loaded : 2610 + 320 = 2930 (this is pretty loaded I would think). Dry it should be 2100 + 250? = 2350.

By the way the GVWR of the 17'B is 3500lb and the 19' 4000lb. Actually it is pretty impressive that you can carry 1500lbs in the 19'.

I'm considering towing with a 2001 Pathfinder with a 5000lb tow limit and I think I'm on the edge when all things are considered.

ra
Randy, A is offline   Reply With Quote