AWD vs FWD? - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
CA
AWD vs FWD?

Hello fellow FGRVrs,

Iím hoping to upgrade from my 13í to a larger unit with a bathroom and more storage.

This means a beefier tow vehicle. Since Iím Volvo addicted, Iím looking at several XC90s. Some are FWD, some are AWD. I have been under the impression (i.e. someone somewhere advised me that) I should get AWD for towing... but no longer remember why!

Any advice for me from wise members here? Does AWD matter if I donít plan to boondock? TIA!

Old 05-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
Hello fellow FGRVrs,

Iím hoping to upgrade from my 13í to a larger unit with a bathroom and more storage.

This means a beefier tow vehicle. Since Iím Volvo addicted, Iím looking at several XC90s. Some are FWD, some are AWD. I have been under the impression (i.e. someone somewhere advised me that) I should get AWD for towing... but no longer remember why!

Any advice for me from wise members here? Does AWD matter if I donít plan to boondock? TIA!

AWD. Itís possible to get stuck on wet grass, shallow mud, etc. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. And remember hitch weight on the rear wheels will lift some of the front wheels. My opinion. Others may disagree.

rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #3

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
And remember hitch weight on the rear wheels will lift some of the front wheels.

I once was driving up a gravel road. Got half-way up the hill and the unweighted front wheels began to spin and the tow vehicle to slow to a stop.
I had to back the trailer and tow down the hill to a flat area and then put the vehicle into four-wheel-drive to get up the hill.
Wet pavement or grass can cause the same issue.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
AWD vs FWD?

I have been towing our 13í Scamp with a FWD Pilot. There have been a couple of times I missed AWD, each time on a gravel road ascending a grade while towing. I was able to disable the stability control and allow some wheel spin to get through.

Downside is it adds some initial cost (which youíll usually get back on resale) and additional maintenance (rear differential service every 30K).

Tough call if you donít live in the snow belt. I got a really good deal on a lightly used unit that happened to be FWD. I drive vehicles into the ground, so resale isnít too important.

The larger the trailer, the more youíll want AWD, so I vote yes in your case.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #5

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Yes AWD does have some slight advantage for winter driving, not much for off road.

For towing... It offers extra weight,an extra "transmission", and extra drive shaft, an extra differential. All of which require maintenance and take power and fuel.
As long as the vehicle is rated to tow the intended load and the expected tongue weight FWD will do just fine.
Depending on your driving habits you will want to increase your tire rotation schedule for towing with either one.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:55 PM   #6

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
I know this isnít the question, but rear wheel drive is superior for towing, augmented with 4 wheel drive is ideal for traction. I agree AWD is worth every penny for traction and helps with towing compared to FWD. I have a Subaru Outback and it has been great for my 13 ft Scamp (except for the tongue weight limit).

Iíd like to get a 16 ft Scamp or similar FG RV. If I do I want a RWD or AWD pick up or SUV or even a RWD van. (Five year plan) My issue is the complexity of the transmission. Side forces can wear on the inner working of an AWD optimized to haul a family and their stuff with towing as a secondary task.

Just a thought for consideration. Again I like my Subaru and it tows a light load once or twice a month just fine.

Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote