Axel hub scored - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2021, 08:04 PM   #1

Name: Jeffrey
Trailer: Casita
NORTH CAROLINA
Registry
Axel hub scored

I have a 2010 Casita I bought recently. Not knowing anything about the bearings I opted to change them out. No problem. Done my boat trailer. No problem.
But the Casita brake area looks rough and the magnet is heavily scored.
The drum is also scored. I figure the Dexter brake system is easily replaced. Does the drum need replacing? Or can it be resurfaced?

JLMathis
JLMathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:35 AM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Might as well replace both. Here is a link to Northern tool for replacements:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.etrailer.com/question-335982.html
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:43 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Personally I would replace them both but I believe they are stamped as to the maximum amount that can be removed. If you have a shop in your area that turns brake drums you could take it out there (probably both would be best) and ask an experienced technician. And I’m talking truly experienced, “Will these clean up and still be in spec.? I have found that most of these forks are honest and will tell you without hesitation either “ yes, or no, not enough meat” your choice. New drums are not that much money compared to the peace of mind a thoroughly rebuilt system will give you. Deduct the price of turning the drums from the new ones as this is a cost you can avoid.
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMathis View Post
I have a 2010 Casita I bought recently. Not knowing anything about the bearings I opted to change them out. No problem. Done my boat trailer. No problem.
But the Casita brake area looks rough and the magnet is heavily scored.
The drum is also scored. I figure the Dexter brake system is easily replaced. Does the drum need replacing? Or can it be resurfaced?

JLMathis
Your subject line suggests something more serious. If the surface of the hub that the inner seal contacts is scored, the new seal may fail and the new brake could get contaminated with grease and not work at all. It is worth inspecting very carefully.

I replaced my brakes several years ago, re-lubed the bearings, but should have also replaced the drums, and probably the hubs as well. Recently I inspected the one that would not get hot in use, and did see what looks like contamination and a wear mark (score) on that cylindrical surface. Now I am biting the bullet and having the whole axle (17 years old) replaced in Backus. The trip from CO to MN will include some scenic detours and visits!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:38 PM   #5

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Is your drum scoring on the surface where the magnets contact (face) or the linings contact (circumference)? Whether either can be resurfaced I don't know.

We bought a 2010 SD17 in 2012. Turned out that Dexter apparently had a problem with one batch of brakes from around that time. Both brakes failed (one at a time). They would hang-up, not fully release. Problem was caught by noticing HOT hubs. Supposedly it had something to do with the magnets. Odd thing was that slight move backwards after stopping would pop them loose. (Why backing up would release the magnets?) Any way, we caught them before any damage to the drums. IIRC the whole brake unit (without drums) was not much more than the magnets by themselves, somewhere around $50. And replacing the whole unit took care of any mechanical problems that might have been in there, also. Have had no problems since.

Getting the old brakes off was a b*tch. The nuts that held the backing plate on the axle were hard to get at and a little rusty. They bolts were just pressed into the backing plate and would strip in the plate before the nuts broke loose from the rusty bolts. Finally had to get a nut cracker which barely fit on the nuts.

Good luck.

Wil
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote