Axle flip? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2024, 03:39 PM   #1

Name: Rudy
Trailer: Burro
Alabama
Registry
Axle flip?

I have a Burro 13’. Has anyone flipped their axle end-for-end to change their center of gravity?
YourHighness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:43 AM   #2

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Not familiar with your application but have done it to a bunch of hotrods. May need to add centering pin . Lot can also be done with lift/drop blocks. Might want to try some ratrod forums as this is a pretty common modification .
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:14 AM   #3

Alabama
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito13 View Post
Not familiar with your application but have done it to a bunch of hotrods. May need to add centering pin . Lot can also be done with lift/drop blocks. Might want to try some ratrod forums as this is a pretty common modification .
This is probably not something that is commonly done and you’re the only one who has replied so thank you for your suggestions.
Old 04-14-2024, 03:26 PM   #4

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Like I said try the hotrod or off roader forums. People seem a little more adventuresome in modifications. I used blocks and did a write up when I upgraded lifted my axle and worked on my frame . https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ft-101152.html
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 08:22 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Do you mean changing from lead to trailing, or vice-versa?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:11 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourHighness View Post
I have a Burro 13’. Has anyone flipped their axle end-for-end to change their center of gravity?
Don't Burros have torsion axles? "flipping" the axle is done with leaf spring/straight axle suspension, not torsion.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Check where your axle mounts are located, and whether if turning the axle around may not provide adequate clearance inside the trailer wheel wells for axle motion. You might need to move the mounts on the frame too. Just something to check first...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 12:21 PM   #8

Registry
As far as "changing your trailer's center of gravity," whether you have a leading or trailing axle, it really won't change your COG any. It will still have to be centered in the wheel well to assure that the flex of the torsion arms will have adequate clearance to not rub the tires against the wheel wells. This basically means, that you won't achieve any gain in reversing the axle to move your trailer's center of gravity just by reversing the axle.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:01 AM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0TA
California
Did an axle flip on a Coleman tent trailer (leaf spring axle) years ago to get more clearance in wheel wells. Worked out great, however I'm not familiar enough with the Burro configuration to know if it will work for you.
jjdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:30 PM   #10

Alabama
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Do you mean changing from lead to trailing, or vice-versa?
You’ve go it. That’s exactly what I’m contemplating.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:31 PM   #11

Alabama
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Check where your axle mounts are located, and whether if turning the axle around may not provide adequate clearance inside the trailer wheel wells for axle motion. You might need to move the mounts on the frame too. Just something to check first...
I would have to weld new mounting brackets for the axel to accomplish what I’m thinking.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:33 PM   #12

Registry
Although I know Casitas very well, inside and out, but I will say I don't know squat about Burros. So, do you have a "rubber band" axle, like the Dexter Axles, or does Burro use leaf springs?
Old 04-19-2024, 12:35 PM   #13

Alabama
Registry
Quote:
As far as "changing your trailer's center of gravity," whether you have a leading or trailing axle, it really won't change your COG any. It will still have to be centered in the wheel well to assure that the flex of the torsion arms will have adequate clearance to not rub the tires against the wheel wells. This basically means, that you won't achieve any gain in reversing the axle to move your trailer's center of gravity just by reversing the axle.
Since the center of the wheel and the center of the axel is separated by about 5” or so behind the wheel center, flipping the axel would then place the axel CG about 5” forward of the wheel. Am I missing something?
Old 04-19-2024, 12:37 PM   #14

Alabama
Registry
Quote:
Although I know Casitas very well, inside and out, but I will say I don't know squat about Burros. So, do you have a "rubber band" axle, like the Dexter Axles, or does Burro use leaf springs?
My Burro is a torsion axel setup and the wheel sets about 5” forward of the axel.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:42 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
My Burro is a torsion axel setup and the wheel sets about 5” forward of the axel.
If it uses a torsion axle, (similar to the Dexter my trailer has, have you considered installing a "high lift" axle kit to raise your trailer's ground clearance? They mount under the frame where the axle is installed, and then the axle mounts to the lift kit.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:07 PM   #16

Alabama
Registry
My TV is a 2011 Rav4 w/v6 with a rear swing door and not a hatch. The trailer currently sits level but If I raise the camper I would have to raise my ball hitch which would then interfere with the back door opening.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:46 PM   #17

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of NC/SW Desert of UT
Registry
Typically these axles (if they are original equipment) are beyond their predicted life span. So at that point, people replace them with a new axle with more lift.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 05:38 AM   #18

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Quote:
Quote:
My Burro is a torsion axle setup and the wheel sets about 5” forward of the axle.
The change to the Cg by moving the axle from 5 inches behind the wheel to 5 inches ahead of the wheel will be not all that much. How much does the trailer weigh? How much does the axle weigh? What is the percentage of the axle weight relative to the whole unit?
Now, how much will that Cg move by shifting that axle weight from 5/12 of a foot behind to 5/12 of a foot ahead? I expect that (reading between the lines here) simply adding less than an axle's weight but further forward of the wheels, will provide more tongue weight and more effectively move the Cg.
How about a 30 lb tank of propane on the tongue instead of a 20?
Old 04-23-2024, 09:20 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If I'm understanding this confusing thread correctly, it sounds like the OP has a torsion axle in leading configuration and wants to change to trailing. (That is not what is normally meant by "flipping" an axle, hence the confusion.) Leading is a non-standard configuration, and it can have some undesirable handling characteristics under some conditions. I think changing to the standard trailing set-up is a good move, Cg aside (which I don't think will be affected much). I don't know enough about the Burro frame configuration to know how feasible the conversion is, but a qualified axle installer could have a look and tell you whether any frame modifications or changes in axle specs might be required.

If the axle is original, it's probably due for a new axle rather than re-installing the old one. The rubber in a torsion axle breaks down over time. If it doesn't already have brakes, now is the time to add them, or at least get an axle that's prepped for brakes.

With any modification that might affect the fore-aft balance of the trailer, it's important to check your weights afterward and verify tongue weight is within the safe range (10-15% of trailer weight). Adjust loading as needed.

Nobody has yet asked the $64K question, so I will. Why do you want to change the Cg?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle