Axle Flip for More Clearance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #1

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Axle Flip for More Clearance

Just lowered my 65 F100 and did this, and have added block to raise a buddies 4x4. Why not on a camper. I have torsion axles but for those that don't etrailer did a nice write up on the axle flip.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-raise-t...velTrailer-edu
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:48 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Axle flip

[QUOTE=mosquito13;766915] Why not on a camper. I have torsion axles but for those that don't etrailer did a nice write up on the axle flip.
/QUOTE]
It’s done all the time, and for torsion axles e-trailer sells lift kits.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:49 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
I know most axles are slightly bent to add a little toe-in into the alignment, but I’ve heard some folks say they are also bent for camber. Assuming that’s true (I really don’t know) flipping the axle end for end (not what is shown in the linked article) would turn negative camber (good thing) into positive camber (bad).

Any alignment shop could measure it and tell you for sure.
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:18 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’ve never heard of an axle flip that actually flipped anything. The usual “flip” goes from spring under to spring over in the same orientation.

Is there another kind?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:28 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Registry
flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’ve never heard of an axle flip that actually flipped anything. The usual “flip” goes from spring under to spring over in the same orientation. Is there another kind?
The axle has a plate that contacts the spring, the axle must be turned over (flipped) for the plates to contact the springs if they are welded when moved over the axle.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #6

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’ve never heard of an axle flip that actually flipped anything. The usual “flip” goes from spring under to spring over in the same orientation.

Is there another kind?
Front to back or left to right (end over end). You could theoretically do either for a leaf spring axle. If you did front to back on a torsion axle the trailing arms would become leading arms and would be pointed the wrong way.

Both would affect an axle that’s pre bent for camber and toe.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:16 PM   #7

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
The axle has a plate that contacts the spring, the axle must be turned over (flipped) for the plates to contact the springs when moved under the axle.
If that axle is factory bent for toe-in, you should flip it upside down AND left to right to keep the correct toe.

If it is factory bent for toe-in AND negative camber, then you’ll screw up one or the other unless you keep is as-is and weld new plates on the top.

Again, this is assuming the axle starts with toe-in and negative camber. An alignment shop can measure both before you start.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #8

California
Registry
https://youtu.be/pRyTeqYuGBk
Old 01-31-2020, 03:31 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Registry
Axle Straightening

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJohn View Post
https://youtu.be/pRyTeqYuGBk
TNX: greatTrailer Axle Straightening and/or Wheel Alignment Video
Old 01-31-2020, 03:45 PM   #10

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I clearly don't know everything (though I like to think I do), but my impression is that no one (who knows what they're doing) actually flips an axle, as Jon pointed out. Even in the linked e-trailer write-up they explicitly say this. The axle is not being flipped. You're moving the springs from under, to over, which requires adding a new spring seat.

Blocks on a 4x4? Sort of a scary way to do a lift, though I know it's fairly common.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #11

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Recommend reading the artical I linked to by Etrailer. They know what they are writing about. Here it is again. [url]https://www.etrailer.com/faq-raise-travel-trailer-height.aspx?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&u tm_campaign=email%20-%20Trailer%20Leaf%20Spring%20Suspension&utm_conten t=20200131-RV-RaiseTravelTrailer-edu[/ur
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #12

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Thanks for your reference to positive/negative camber and the 'bent axle' syndrome! Think I got fixated with the possibility that my Bigfoot 17' axle had been high centred sometime in it's past. Looked for scrapes and abrasions on the axle but nuttin'. Now I can go on looking for something more serious to worry about! \:-]
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #13

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
sevn - gaining height will depend on the axle on the trailer. My Boler has drop axles so I can gain more height by switching to a straight axle.and doing the top spring perches. For your camper you would use "blocks". Here is a company that makes a kit. Casita Parts
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #14

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJohn View Post
If that axle is factory bent for toe-in, you should flip it upside down AND left to right to keep the correct toe.

If it is factory bent for toe-in AND negative camber, then you’ll screw up one or the other unless you keep is as-is and weld new plates on the top.

Again, this is assuming the axle starts with toe-in and negative camber. An alignment shop can measure both before you start.
🤔
I worked in a spring and suspension shop for about 5 years. Did hundreds of lift jobs on trucks, cars and trailers and never ever did we ever consider flipping and swapping an axle side to side. Reshaping the springs, (more arc)adding leafs (stiffer) extending shackles, spacer blocks, extended spring mounts where all viable options.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle