Axle for 1985 Bigfoot 17’ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2022, 09:51 PM   #1

Name: Lieneke
Trailer: 1985 Bigfoot 17.5
British Columbia
Axle for 1985 Bigfoot 17’

Hi there,
I am the new owner of a 1985 Bigfoot 17’ trailer. I am trying to learn as much as possible. The trailer has its original axle and I am wondering if it needs to be replaced. It appears to be in good shape, tows well and there don’t appear to be any issues. I am just concerned since the axle is so old. Is this something that should be replaced?

Thanks.
Lieneke
Lieneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
is it on leaf springs, or is it a torsion axle?, if you put someone inside over the wheels and they bounce up and down does it bottom out?, do you have 2-3 inches of clearance above the tire in the wheel-well?
Just a few quick checks for you.
The axle for my 81 Trillium seemed in great shape, but I couldn't get brake parts so I changed it out

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:08 PM   #3

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Hi there,
I am the new owner of a 1985 Bigfoot 17’ trailer. I am trying to learn as much as possible. The trailer has its original axle and I am wondering if it needs to be replaced. It appears to be in good shape, tows well and there don’t appear to be any issues. I am just concerned since the axle is so old. Is this something that should be replaced?

Thanks.
Lieneke
Axles last for a very long time as long as they do not get bent by jacking the axle instead of the spring shackles. Have any decent mechanic grease the wheel bearings, & he/she will tell you if everything is good to go.

Tags
axle, bigfoot