Axle on 2013 Parkliner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2022, 04:14 PM   #1
k8t

Name: Katie
Trailer: ParkLiner 2013
California
Axle on 2013 Parkliner

Do any of you with a 2013 Parkliner know which axle we have and if it's welded or not? And, will this make a difference if we wanted to add a trailer lift kit?

We'd like to add enough lift to be able to safely drive onto the Seattle area ferries without raising the trailer so much that we get tippy or overly bouncy.

Would love to hear any tips and ideas about what's working well and what you might do differently.

Thanks!
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:50 PM   #2

Name: Trask
Trailer: ParkLiner
South Carolina
I've got a 2014. I'll go out in the morning at take a look and snap some pictures. It's raining here right now.

If you take a few pictures from different angles I'd guess folks could tell you what you've got just by how it looks.
trasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:24 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Adjustable Axles

The early Parkliners had axles which you could adjust the height of the swing arm. (I can't recall the name of the axle.) They later switched to Dexter axles which resulted in clearance issues which were later resolved. Your 2013 trailer may have an axle where you can adjust the height.
Eddie
Added info. https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...sue-91729.html

This thread shows an axle lift due to the Dexter axle clearance issue. The pictures show a bolt on Dexter axle. The owner opted to raise his trailer 6" and welded in spacers. With a bolt on Dexter, you can order 2 5/8 in. Dexter lift blocks for a bolt on lift. E-trailer sold these lift kits.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...71-707-01.html
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:52 AM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by trasko View Post
I've got a 2014. I'll go out in the morning at take a look and snap some pictures. It's raining here right now.

If you take a few pictures from different angles I'd guess folks could tell you what you've got just by how it looks.
Mine has a "Flexiride FA-35"

See pics attached. There is very little clearance at the rear side of the tire and it rides a lot lower than I'd like. But on the other hand I just drove it across the country twice and it did fine. So. It's on the "one-day/maybe" list of improvements.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1204.jpeg   IMG_1205.jpeg  

IMG_1206.jpeg   IMG_1207.jpeg  

Old 07-31-2022, 08:40 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Flexride

The Flexride axle has adjustable swing arms, which means you can lift the trailer by repositioning the swing arm on the torque shaft. That was the first axle Parkliner used. Their solution to the tire clearance problem was to change to a specific tire size. (Again, I can't remember the size.) Several owners took it upon themselves to have a fiberglass repair shop modify the wheel well openings for more clearance.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:57 AM   #6

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
Parkliner Tire Rub Issue Time Bomb?

Hello- We were very interested in a Parkliner but research on the tire rub issue is putting us off considering one. It seems many with them do not know whether they have an issue until a tire bows out.

We also read the issue was not resolved by the factory and resulted in the demise of the design. Why is the information about the tire rub issue all over the place in terms of pinning down if it was addressed by the factory or not and what year it was resolved? Either is was or was not.

If smaller tires are used then there is the issue of more wear and tear on bearings, etc due to more rotation and clearance on an already low clearance trailer, a huge concern for us who usecampgrounds where there can be considerable roots to drive over even though the campgrounds are not considered primitive.

We love the room in those and the layout but the tire rub issue is holding us back as is the sagging door, air conditioner, etc. If one is priced to reflect needing an axle lift, professional job on the door repair and air conditioner instead of pricing as though those are not issues if not addressed, we'd be keen on the trailer. Unfortunately the price we see does not take into account those items and the cost of doing those things puts the trailer at near new other trailers.

Anyone do those repairs and have a cost estimate? Thanks!
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:02 PM   #7

South Carolina
Hi there. I replied above. I haven't had any rubbing issues. 2014. Tires are 205/75 R14. Perhaps when doing your research you can take note of year/unit number of people with rubbing issues and determine when it got fixed. Mine doesn't have the smaller 185 series tires and it's doing fine so it must have been fixed in or before 2014.

Re A/C: see my recent thread for more than you wanted to know about my experience.

Regarding door, A/C, etc: IMO all trailers have their issues. Sounds like you're going in with eyes wide open. If you don't want to deal with any modifications, fixes, etc then you'll likely need to look elsewhere or find one that's had all its issues addressed. For me the Parkliner made the most sense because I'm 6'2" and I wanted the extra headroom. That's the sort of problem that's hard to fix after that fact. ;-)
Old 08-29-2022, 05:01 PM   #8

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
As purchasers of used boats, travel trailers and all sorts of toys, we are aware used items will not be anywhere near perfect nor will even new ones having bought new as well. Expecting perfection or all issues resolved is not our expectation and we are aware some sellers are not aware of issues, selling others major issues along with their trailers. most folks are not morally challenged. That said, it is up to a buyer to do research since you never know what the morals of a seller are or how much they know about their own item.

For us, the expectation is that known issues will be corrected or disclosed and price will reflect shop costs and materials to repair. If the door has an issue, especially a 'no big deal' one, then we would expect the owner to either fix it or sell the trailer "as is" with a correct discount for the cost to fix the issue. i would think a "no big deal" would be something the owner would have fixed it themselves to get maximum dollar return just as I do whenever reselling.

We just looked at an incredible Casita that sold while we were enroute but we did not get the message from the seller due to no cell reception enroute. The seller graciously let us look at it because the buyer has to go back next weekend with a tow vehicle. 2016 16' Casita in beautiful condition with service and maintenance receipts. He sold it for $17,000 and it had many useful options and an awning. Happy for the buyer!! It was great for us to see that unit to get a feel for what a maintained one truly looks like. He addressed issues as they came up and sold it due to age/health and lack of us and didn't want it to 'rot'. We had a great discussion about Casitas and other rvs he has owned. He went to smaller trailer when he got older for ease of towing.

As buyers we try to educate ourselves about purchases, especially bigger ticket items. An example is issues with sagging doors. On this forum alone we have countless stories about doors falling off. I recall a woman stating hers fell off in her hands. That could seriously injure someone or a driver on the roadways if it occurred during travel and hit or impeded another vehicle at high speeds. We've travelled extensively in many RVs over our many years and never have encountered door sag or loss to the degree I read about on some of these trailers.Rusted out axles can occur on any trailer and at some point they need to be replaced. Pricing should reflect that but unfortunately too many people are not aware they are buying a bad axle, frame, major issues with regards to cost. Then a fortune is spent trying to repair. Tt is good to know what one can expect going in.

Am glad to hear you do not have tire rub issues. I think we simply cannot get solid information due to the lack of it to trust buying a Parkliner though we would love to have and are glad some people are having great experiences with them. All we can do is read the stories of owners who have not and decide if we want to potentially deal with the one we buy having some of those major issues along with the expenses and the down time to repair those if we could even find someone to do the work should we not want to do it ourselves or have the skill to do it. We did read that a lift can solve the tire rub issue but how does a company give pricing for something they have never heard of let alone seen?

Yes, doors can be reworked. New air conditioners can be installed as can new axles, etc. All that is good and any buyer would be wise to do some research to price out changes needed to make a unit safe for travel. If the needed work is already done than any buyer would more than likely be grateful for that and happy to pay the price unless looking for a major fixer.
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:30 PM   #9

South Carolina
Hmm. I'm not sure what you're after. I thought you were looking for an answer to "when was the tire rubbing issue fixed?"

I think I've found it: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...box-62068.html

Looks to be around Nov. 2013. So most 2014+ models should be fine. But like you said: you're experienced at buying used stuff. Just check it out well (look for rub marks and a sagging door) and don't over-think it. And if you think it's overpriced then offer less!

edit: this thread does show someone with a 2014 having the issue. https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...sue-91729.html

Tags
axle, parkliner