Axle Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
dch

Name: Brian
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Minnesota
Axle Replacement

Hello,

I know my 1985 13' Scamp is overdue for a new axle. I'm just wondering what issues arise when a tired axle is being used. Is it a safety issue? Tire wear issue? I know my trailer is riding pretty low.

I know it needs a new axle, I just don't know what happens when an old axle is being used. Wondering minds want to know!

Thanks so much,
Diane
dch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Hello Diane! Welcome to the forum!

If you have the original axle its overdue for replacement. Symptoms of a worn out torsion axle (the type used on Scamps):

- bouncy jerky ride felt in the tow vehicle
- bouncy jerky camper that causes cupboard doors to open, items to fall, severe stress to the frame and body of the camper
- uneven tire wear

Good luck!
John
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The rubber bars in the axle will be deformed and the axle sags and the rubber also gets hard and no longer gives much if any when a load is applied.
In the case of my 1985 16 foot Scamp (same year as yours) if you stepped into the camper the tires would flex, but the axle didn't move much if any.
I don't know about your axle but mine was an AL-KO unit and the axle was kinda triangular and not square like the Dexter or Lippert.
I had a Flexi-ride manufactured for my modified Scamp with a 3000 lb rating (stock was 3500 for the replacements) and the original AL-KO was 2500 if I remember correctly.
If you look carefully at the axle and if it is an AL-KO there will be a metal tag with a serial number and model number which you can look up for dimensions and ratings and call AL-KO for data and to order if you like.
FLexi-ride has shorter arms and would need to be slightly repositioned on installation, but the ride angle is adjustable.
Also available are mounting brackets which can be installed between the frame and the axle so that it bolts to the welded in bracket.
Here is a link to Flexi-ride:
https://www.trailerpart.com/torsionaxles.htm
Dexter has purchased AL-KO and they can perhaps match the number on your axle.
Here is a link to the order form for the AL-KO -Dexter
http://www.al-ko.us/download/rubber_..._form_1014.pdf
I found the start angle etc confusing and since I was modifying my trailer I chose the Flexi-ride since the angle can be set anywhere it needed to be.
Of course you can call Scamp parts department and order one from them
1-800-346-4962 is their number.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch View Post
Hello,

I know my 1985 13' Scamp is overdue for a new axle. I'm just wondering what issues arise when a tired axle is being used. Is it a safety issue? Tire wear issue? I know my trailer is riding pretty low.

I know it needs a new axle, I just don't know what happens when an old axle is being used. Wondering minds want to know!

Thanks so much,
Diane
Ride height is not the primary indicator of axle wear.
Negative camber and tow out, resulting in inside edge tire wear are the primary indicators.
It could only be a safety issue if you failed to monitor tire wear and caused a blow out.
Your trailer was most likely supplied with a leading arm 1200 pound axle with a 22° up angle before initial set. This results in a much lower trailer than the new 22000# axlessupplied on the new ones.
Once a no load up angle of 11° above initial set (probably about 35 or 36°)is reached, the axle will start to loose its spring ability.

The best indicator for axle replacement, is tire wear which exceeds 3 to 4/32nds difference across the face of the tread in a period of time intolerably less than the time of planned obsolescence.

Or (wink wink nod nod) you could follow the convention here and simply determine axle wear by age or even better, by shaking your fist at it!

Below are a couple of pictures from brand new Scamp13s from the same era as yours and from the covers of Scamp brochures.
Hope this helps you make a rational decision.
Attached Thumbnails
gerber30057.jpg   Scamp brochure.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
dch

Name: Brian
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Minnesota
Thanks everyone! My trailer is showing signs of wear. It's time for a new axle. We have seen tire wear on our trailer, and we've replaced tires several

times since we bought it about 7 years ago. I thought they were wearing out a little too fast, and wondered if that was indicative of a worn out axle.

I enjoyed seeing the pictures of the Scamp brochures from the mid 80's. Our
trailer is a low rider just like the pictures show. We just picked up a new 16' this past May, and the new trailer seems so high compared to our 13' trailer!
My son has expressed interest in our 13', so it will probably stay in the family. Maybe this fall would be a good time to go to Backus and give our 13' Scamp a fresh outlook on life with a new axle!

Diane
dch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle