Axle Replacement Ideas? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #1

Name: Gorky
Trailer: Bigfoot
Montana
Axle Replacement Ideas?

Hello!
I just acquired a 17' 1984 Bigfoot Trailer. It has decent clearance and there's not a lot hanging down under it. Everything has at least the clearance of the center of the tires except for the drop axle, which is probably only 3-5 inches off the ground. So I'm thinking of updating the old axle and leaf springs for clearance, if not getting a little extra lift while I'm there.

If I was only planning to go off-road I could comfortably lift the trailer way up and use tall, soft suspension. If I only planned to take it on the highway and stay in paid campsites and RV parks I'd probably want to keep it about the same as it is, definitely not lift it and risk flipping it over on an unexpected 60mph corner.

Problem is I'm planning to use the trailer in both extremes; long distance highway driving followed in many cases by off roading to a free camping spot in the middle of nowhere on roads maintained accordingly.

Does anyone have any experience with an axle/suspension for this kind of situation? Maybe adjustable height? I've looked a little into Flexiride because height can be adjusted but I can't find out how easy it is to adjust on the fly. Looks like at least you'd need to jack each wheel off the ground. Airbags and compressors doesn't seem like it would work because more lift = more pressure = stiffer, which is worse for off-roading.
Gorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
If there's clearance, you could install a straight axle. Put it over the springs, if there is clearance and you'd minimize the drop axle problem with minimal overall lift. Or you could look into a torsion axle with trailing links. That solves the axle tube clearance issue, but it must be adapted to your frame.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
Straight axle

I just replaced the drop axle by a straight axle
Really a big améloration
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0331.jpg   IMG_0336.jpg  

Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Most of the early Bigfoots with a 4" drop axle have had the axle replaced with a straight axle. I have not heard from anyone who made this change that was disappointed after the swap I changed mine which raised the trailer 4" then I changed to 225-75-15 wheels and tires which gave me another inch of lift I am very happy with the modification and would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Also, welcome to the forum.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Can you post a photo of the inside of one of the wheels?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500 Jubilee 1979
Registry
Timbren Axle-less

Offroad washboard best axle? posted 12-01-2014
No regrets...
These work! A crowned dirt road or rock in the middle no problem! Washboard used to be a long slow painful torture.
Call the manufacturer, they were clear that they knew the answer or not.
4X sites have the info you need.
OscarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
I installed this axle, worked great. 66" spring center, they welded the flanges. Fit perfect, used old parts and order new u bolts.

New Alko Dexter Trailer Axle 3500 Axel Beam 85" Hub Face EZ Lube 72" Wide Jayco | eBay
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:46 AM   #8

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Flexiride is a torsion axle. They are not made to adjust on the fly. You have to unbolt the trailing arm, pull it off the spline and reinstall at the new angle. Not easily done while traveling, but not too bad in a shop with jacks and tools.
I raised our Scamp 3", and it does very well at highway speeds and off road. No stability problems at all. Mileage is likely not as good, but I can't measure the hit nor tell the difference.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle