Backing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I'm right there with ya, Theresa! I'm loathing the trip this weekend to the tire shop for new tires. I'm afraid they're gonna ask me to back it in somewhere for them to work on it!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #22

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Not that this helps much, but we have a boat and trailer that we occasionally put in a large garage bay to work on, there is a tight turn into the garage, which makes it just about impossible to back in. We put a hitch on the front of our tractor and use that to guide it in, and it is WAY easier with that setup. Manly because the steering wheels are very close to the hitch, so you get instant results from steering input. It is also a little more intuitive when moving forward.

Front mounted hitches are available for many trucks. If you have a difficult spot that you have to maneuver a trailer into, that might be just the ticket!

I have been towing campers since I was 16... And driving tractors with various implements longer an that. I usually don't have a problem with trailers... But that garage has a 90 degree turn into the door. It is physically impossible to back it in (or pull it out) with our diesel van.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #23

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
you forgot one part your simple rule of backing up - the part about backing right on over the person standing in your totally blind spot waving their hands in all sorts of strange ways!
I use these hand signals slightly adapted...

Name:   CRANE-418_150.gif
Views: 106
Size:  2.4 KB
STOP!

Name:   CRANE-436_150.gif
Views: 98
Go away from me

Name:   CRANE-432_150.gif
Views: 97
Size:  2.8 KB
Come toward me: wheels straight

Name:   CRANE-433_150.gif
Views: 97
Come toward me: turning Left

Name:   CRANE-437_150.gif
Come toward me: turning right

Name:   CRANE-462_150.gif
Size:  2.6 KB
There's this much room before you hit something
Old 06-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
I'm right there with ya, Theresa! I'm loathing the trip this weekend to the tire shop for new tires. I'm afraid they're gonna ask me to back it in somewhere for them to work on it!

LOL Ok girls listen up! Heres the trick. Turn your ears off so you are not listening to any of the guys (or anyone else for that matter) around telling you to turn the wheel this way or that way or blubbbbbbbb. Then put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and very slowly turn the wheel with your hand going in the direction you want the trailer to go. start out slow.

Simple. TRUST me!! Practise it an empty parking lot. You two could be pros!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #25

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
you forgot one part your simple rule of backing up - the part about backing right on over the person standing in your totally blind spot waving their hands in all sorts of strange ways!
LOL... We rarely had the chance. Most times when we're backing up a big rig there is no one around. Even if there were, most understand, we probably know what we're doing and don't dare try to 'assist' us. There are so many blind spots. Of course, there are always going to be those that think they can do a better job backing up a trailer... and most of those have never done it themselves.. LOL
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #26

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
my wife would never wear this.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Melissab,
When I took mine in to get new valve stems installed they just had me pull around back and they brought a jack out and did the work outside.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #28

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I prefer the get within 20 feet of where I want the Scamp & then unhook from hitch & move by muscle method.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #29

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
LOL... We rarely had the chance. Most times when we're backing up a big rig there is no one around. Even if there were, most understand, we probably know what we're doing and don't dare try to 'assist' us. There are so many blind spots. Of course, there are always going to be those that think they can do a better job backing up a trailer... and most of those have never done it themselves.. LOL
My MIL was legally blind, wore dark sunglasses and used a white cane but did have very limited vision. As she was walking with family along the sidewalk, a man was trying to back his car into a parallel parking spot. She stepped out to the back of his car, hung her white cane on her arm, and directed him to back into the spot. Not sure what he thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
I prefer the get within 20 feet of where I want the Scamp & then unhook from hitch & move by muscle method.
What I was thinkin' but I didn't want to say it
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #30

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
carol---thanks, i will try your directions. i have backed up our utility trailer a number of times....successfully, albeit after a number of attempts. but i haven't yet given our outback a "go"....but i think i might just break down and learn how---because i might just be needing to do it one day if we ever have an emergency and i sure don't want to be fiddling around like a fool then. ....wish me luck!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #31

Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13 ft (California-made)
Registry
Carol, ditto what Theresa says ... Thanks for the encouragement!
Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
carol---thanks, i will try your directions. i have backed up our utility trailer a number of times....successfully, albeit after a number of attempts. but i haven't yet given our outback a "go"....but i think i might just break down and learn how---because i might just be needing to do it one day if we ever have an emergency and i sure don't want to be fiddling around like a fool then. ....wish me luck!!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #32

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Is this how you professionals do it???
Old 06-16-2011, 05:45 AM   #33

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Just a thought here. My father taught me how to back up when I was 13 or so. I have never had too much trouble doing it unless someone is directing me. I always use my side mirrors to back up. If you look out the back window then switch to the mirrors if find mistakes are made. Of course many of the vehicles I have towed with didn't have back windows as my current one doesn't so there was no option. Now it it habit and I usually don't have to think to much about what I am doing.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie R. View Post
Carol, ditto what Theresa says ... Thanks for the encouragement!
Maggie

Maggie & Theresa - go for it! I encourage everone who travels with a partner who normally does all the hook-ups and towing that they really should take the time to learn how to do it all themselves.

We had a fellow admitted to hospital (serious health problem) during one of our trailer meets and although they had owned the trailer for years his wife had never hooked up or towed the trailer herself. Those that know the couple hooked up the trailer and one drove her and the trailer home. Had she been at a campground far from home that would not have happened. Had they been at a campground where they did not know people - I am sure that having as stranger hook up and drive her truck and trailer anywhere would have added a whole lot more stress to what was already a stressful situation for her. She has since made a point of learning how to tow the trailer - in fact her partner makes her do it often.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #35

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
we took a mini vacation this month and I just used the trailer dolly I got at HF to move the trailer around, and through a 8ft gate, piece of cake. But I did need two boy power to move over a patch of soft sand.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #36

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
okay.....we are leaving in the morning for halifax (going to attend the tattoo) and i FULLY INTEND to do some backing-up/backing-in practicing while away! i have psyched myself up for it...i'll report back on how i make out.
wish me luck!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #37

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Luck, luck, luck Theresa
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #38

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
My wife gave me a wireless back-up camera on a license plate frame a year or so ago for Christmas. The angle of the frame on our VW Eurovan gives me a picture at a slight angle upwards, so I can't see the hitch directly. However, I supplement the camera with the telescoping yellow balls (available at Cabela's, Camping World WalMart, etc.) and I can get the ball to within about 1-2 inches of the hitch coupling every time. I line up the stems on the extended yellow balls until they are in line and just about touching.

As to other backing (like into a camping spot), the wireless signal was right at the limit of its strength if I put the camera/frame on the trailer license plate. That's why I put the camera on the TV rather than the trailer. I scout out the spot and pick out an end reference point (water hookup, tree, picnic table, etc.) and just stay with it in sight as I go back.
I do the same exact thing as you, Keven: Back up camera on my TV, Yellow, telescoping alignment balls. I've added an hitch/ball connector from Durasafe Coupler Connect - Trailer Hook-Ups Made Easy which makes it much easier when I am solo (which is pretty much all the time).

However, when it comes to backing the trailer into our driveway or a parking space of some sort, I'm in trouble. I simply cannot back into anything with one complete movement: I have to plan it, and constantly move forward and backwards in small incremental steps. It is sometimes helpful for someone to guide my trailer, but I've found few "helpers" who understand how to back into a space.

I saw Melissab's video right after I got the trailer, and use that method when backing into our driveway, But it still takes me 20 minutes on a good day. I'm sure if I got to some empty Office parking lot and practice backing for several Sundays, I may figure it all out. But ... I never seem to think about that.

BTW, if you constantly look at online coupons for Harbor Freight, you'll eventually find the yellow balls on sale for $9.99.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #39

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The tapered plastic rods from Camping World (and others) operate on the same principle as the telescoping rods and tennis balls from ChinaMart, HF, etc. They are considerably sturdier imo.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #40

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
The tapered plastic rods from Camping World (and others) operate on the same principle as the telescoping rods and tennis balls from ChinaMart, HF, etc. They are considerably sturdier imo.

jack
you may be right. My tennis balls separate from their magnet feet rather easily.