Backup Camera System Quandary - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2020, 07:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Thumbs up Backup Camera System Quandary

Hi Everyone,

So, I’m customizing our new-to-us Bigfoot 21 in time for late Winter/early Spring camping. Most everything needed for off grid camping has been addressed.

Now it’s time for those things that I can live without, but would really like. Top of that list is a wireless backup camera system. My research points me to the RVS-2CAM or a Tandy.

My issue: there’s lots of competition on the dash board (and cigarette outlet). We use a Garmin navigation system which would (at best) sit side be side to the RV backup monitor. In addition we have the auto backup/stereo screen monitor (which hopefully can be ignored).

Folks that I speak with regarding backup camera systems, love using it while on the highway.

Do any of you with backup monitor use a navigation system as well? If yes, how does this work for you?

How many of you keep the RV Backup Monitor on the Dashboard while towing down the highway?

Please give me your inputs.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My position is knowing that someone is tailgating you only increases anxiety. Instead of staring at the monitor and cursing, you are better off keeping your eyes on the road ahead, a long way ahead, so you don't have to a sudden stop.
As for backing into a campsite, I prefer GOAL ( get out and look ). The view is much better.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:23 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Our 2018 FG trailer has the factory camera option . The camera and monitor are still sitting in their original packaging taking up space on a shelf
There are enough visual distractions in a vehicle without adding another one of questionable value
Glenn summed it up pretty well !!
We do have a Garmin GPS but we usually travel with it off
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I have the GPS and back up/ rear view monitor both on the dash. I use the rear view monitor full time while towing. It is powered by the running lights and is hard wired to the dash.The GPS is near the center of the windshield and the "rear view" monitor is right behind the steering wheel. It is no more distracting than your rear view mirror when not towing. We have a 17' Boler that is a little wider than our'16 Colorado so I find the rear view really handy and a definite added safety feature.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
I have the GPS and back up/ rear view monitor both on the dash. I use the rear view monitor full time while towing. It is powered by the running lights and is hard wired to the dash.The GPS is near the center of the windshield and the "rear view" monitor is right behind the steering wheel. It is no more distracting than your rear view mirror when not towing. We have a 17' Boler that is a little wider than our'16 Colorado so I find the rear view really handy and a definite added safety feature.
Thanks for your reply.

Honestly, i hadn’t thought of placing a 7” monitor directly behind the steering wheel, and i’d need to give that serious thought. My initial concern is safely reaching over the steering wheel to turn it on or off.

The monitor/system i’m thinking of can be hard wired or powered with a cigarette lighter hookup. The camera would be powered via the running lights. Our GPS monitor is also powered by a cigarette outlet.

I was surprised at the number of people who use the trailer backup camera when changing lanes. This does intrigue both me & my husband.

I originally conceived of just using it for backing at a 45 degree angle into our driveway. It’s not a matter of not being able to do this - i’ve been backing into that driveway for a decade. it’s a matter of making life easier.

Assuming we’ll stash the monitor until needed, at the very least, we should be able to hook it up quickly.

Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
If you're going to hardwire the camera, why not run a power lead to the monitor as well?. Both my power and cable come out at the dash so I don't have to use the lighter socket. If I want to shut anything off I just turn off the running lights for the vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Thanks for your reply.

Honestly, i hadn’t thought of placing a 7” monitor directly behind the steering wheel, and i’d need to give that serious thought. My initial concern is safely reaching over the steering wheel to turn it on or off.

The monitor/system i’m thinking of can be hard wired or powered with a cigarette lighter hookup. The camera would be powered via the running lights. Our GPS monitor is also powered by a cigarette outlet.

I was surprised at the number of people who use the trailer backup camera when changing lanes. This does intrigue both me & my husband.

I originally conceived of just using it for backing at a 45 degree angle into our driveway. It’s not a matter of not being able to do this - i’ve been backing into that driveway for a decade. it’s a matter of making life easier.

Assuming we’ll stash the monitor until needed, at the very least, we should be able to hook it up quickly.

Thanks again.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:01 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
back up camera

I cant think of enough reasons to use a rear vision camera as with Steve I am confused most of the time anyway.

It just doesn't make sense to me!

bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Our 2018 FG trailer has the factory camera option . The camera and monitor are still sitting in their original packaging taking up space on a shelf
There are enough visual distractions in a vehicle without adding another one of questionable value
Glenn summed it up pretty well !!
We do have a Garmin GPS but we usually travel with it off
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #8

Name: Fred & Linda
Trailer: Little Joe
Texas
The varying opinions makes our forum fun and interesting!

I made my camera portable so that it slides into the Jeep hitch receiver and plugs into the light connector. So without the trailer attached, I use it for the Jeep and when hooking up the trailer I just unplug it from the Jeep hitch and plug it into the trailer's hitch.

Works like a charm but only with the parking lights on, so if I don't want to see the monitor I just don't turn the lights on.

The same principal as the new Chevrolet Silverado TV commercials where they make the trailer invisible.

In my case, it is really not distracting to the driver because my wife in the passenger seat does the driving - - - all I do is operate the accelerator and steering wheel and follow the verbal instructions. (Know what I mean???? Ha.)

. . . . . Fred
Fred-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #9

Name: Tom and Joy
Trailer: Scamp 16
Santa Rosa, California
Check if your stereo system supports a front view camera. Just hardwire it to the back of the trailer. When in reverse, I just tap the screen and the backup camera switches to to the rear trailer view. It can also be turned on driving forward. I have Kenwood Excelon.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

So, I’m customizing our new-to-us Bigfoot 21 in time for late Winter/early Spring camping. Most everything needed for off grid camping has been addressed.

Now it’s time for those things that I can live without, but would really like. Top of that list is a wireless backup camera system. My research points me to the RVS-2CAM or a Tandy.

My issue: there’s lots of competition on the dash board (and cigarette outlet). We use a Garmin navigation system which would (at best) sit side be side to the RV backup monitor. In addition we have the auto backup/stereo screen monitor (which hopefully can be ignored).

Folks that I speak with regarding backup camera systems, love using it while on the highway.

Do any of you with backup monitor use a navigation system as well? If yes, how does this work for you?

How many of you keep the RV Backup Monitor on the Dashboard while towing down the highway?

Please give me your inputs.

Thanks.
We have a full time rear view camera in our 23' motorhome. Wished we had one in the trailer tv also. It is nice to see what is behind you just like with a rear view mirror. It sits on the engine cover aka the dog house. We plug it into one of the 12V outlets. I don't want it on the dash as I am very fussy about anything blocking my view at all. It has helped with backing up if we need to getting out of a station or any place you need to see behind you. We don't rely on it for backing into a parking place. We use the buddy system of him watching and me backing in. Hubby doesn't drive much and never backs up the trailer. It is nice to see if someone is behind you or coming around you when on the highway. It has saved our butts a couple of times when a fast car came flying by as I was changing lanes. Hubby watches it also sometimes when we are in big cities so I can concentrate on the traffic. He can tell me if it is safe to change lanes for anything. No more distracting than glancing into the rear view mirror. Just had to get used to glancing down instead of up to the mirror.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasBalmer View Post
Check if your stereo system supports a front view camera. Just hardwire it to the back of the trailer. When in reverse, I just tap the screen and the backup camera switches to to the rear trailer view. It can also be turned on driving forward. I have Kenwood Excelon.
Hi Tom,
My stereo system does notsupport a front view camera. Being able to use that screen would be the best of all worlds.

Where did you mount the 2nd camera on the trailer?

What sort of view do you have? How many degrees?

I think I have a Pioneer System? I’ll definitely contact them just in case.

Thanks for the idea!
Old 02-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
We have a full time rear view camera in our 23' motorhome. Wished we had one in the trailer tv also. It is nice to see what is behind you just like with a rear view mirror. It sits on the engine cover aka the dog house. We plug it into one of the 12V outlets. I don't want it on the dash as I am very fussy about anything blocking my view at all. It has helped with backing up if we need to getting out of a station or any place you need to see behind you. We don't rely on it for backing into a parking place. We use the buddy system of him watching and me backing in. Hubby doesn't drive much and never backs up the trailer. It is nice to see if someone is behind you or coming around you when on the highway. It has saved our butts a couple of times when a fast car came flying by as I was changing lanes. Hubby watches it also sometimes when we are in big cities so I can concentrate on the traffic. He can tell me if it is safe to change lanes for anything. No more distracting than glancing into the rear view mirror. Just had to get used to glancing down instead of up to the mirror.
Thanks Jann,
Great post!

I am confused: what you mean by the engine cover?

Now that he’s retired, my husband is usually available to help me back up. But I still solo and need to backup myself if he’s not there.

The Bigfoot is a little wider than my previous trailer, and I do appreciate the size difference when on the highway - particularly when traveling through a metro area. So, that monitor may turn out to be much more useful than I originally thought.

Thanks again
Old 02-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #13

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Thanks Jann,
Great post!

I am confused: what you mean by the engine cover?

Now that he’s retired, my husband is usually available to help me back up. But I still solo and need to backup myself if he’s not there.

The Bigfoot is a little wider than my previous trailer, and I do appreciate the size difference when on the highway - particularly when traveling through a metro area. So, that monitor may turn out to be much more useful than I originally thought.

Thanks again
Engine cover is the thing that you can sit cups on, etc that covers the inside over the engine in a van. It is the thing you have to remove in a van to access the engine from the inside of the vehicle. Usually you almost have to climb over it to get into the drivers and passengers seats from the rear of the vehicle. Trucks, cars and SUV's usually don't have one since the engine sits in front of the seats more but vans do have them. In our tv our Yukon it is the console between the seats. Our console goes to the dash and has a lot of space for drinks and much other junk.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:11 PM   #14

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
While researching rear view cameras I came across a video where the guy mounted his 5" wireless monitor to the rear view mirror of the tow vehicle. He commented that it was no more distracting than when you glance at your rear view mirror while driving and not towing.
He attached the monitor to the rear view mirror with hair ties. The stretchy "pony-tail" holders he got at a dollar store. I think the You Tuber was "Love your RV"

The You Tubers, Morton's on the Move, have an excellent video on how to make a wireless rear view camera using an iPad. The components are on Amazon (camera, transmitter and wire) total about $70.
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
If you're going to hardwire the camera, why not run a power lead to the monitor as well?. Both my power and cable come out at the dash so I don't have to use the lighter socket. If I want to shut anything off I just turn off the running lights for the vehicles.
Hi Steve,

Good question!

There is a big advantage to hardwiring the RVS-2CAM monitor:
  • grid marks become visible
  • the audio works, so you can hear your helper

I just need to figure out where to place it and how to physically plug the power lead into the monitor (cosmetic as well as practical considerations). I am leaning towards initially using the cigarette lighter, and determine where that monitor should be positioned.

A couple of people use their existing TV’s back up system. I really like that idea and need to contact the manufacturer of my stereo/backup systems. The main problem that comes to mind is where to place the 2nd Camera and if it would provide a wide enough angle.

The best of all worlds would allow me to wire an RV specific camera to my TV’s stereo system.

I’d be surprised, but a girl’s gotta dream.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Engine cover is the thing that you can sit cups on, etc that covers the inside over the engine in a van. It is the thing you have to remove in a van to access the engine from the inside of the vehicle. Usually you almost have to climb over it to get into the drivers and passengers seats from the rear of the vehicle. Trucks, cars and SUV's usually don't have one since the engine sits in front of the seats more but vans do have them. In our tv our Yukon it is the console between the seats. Our console goes to the dash and has a lot of space for drinks and much other junk.
Ahh ... we have a Tahoe.

Thanks for the clarification
Old 02-11-2020, 11:17 PM   #17

Name: Tom and Joy
Trailer: Scamp 16
Santa Rosa, California
<Where did you mount the 2nd camera on the trailer?>

<What sort of view do you have? How many degrees?>

I pop riveted the end of a 1" X 6" strip of aluminum to the under side of the belly band just above the spare tire (Scamp 16). It rests on the top of the tire to steady it from road vibration. The wires run behind the spare tire to the underside, where they run forward and join the wire bundle at the hitch. The camera lens is 170 degrees, but that is too wide. Anything that is more than a couple of feet away is too tiny to make out. it should be more like 120 degrees.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:05 AM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki Hale View Post
While researching rear view cameras I came across a video where the guy mounted his 5" wireless monitor to the rear view mirror of the tow vehicle. He commented that it was no more distracting than when you glance at your rear view mirror while driving and not towing.
I have to laugh about this comment because it totally debunks other comments about there being enough other distractions while towing. First of all, I really would not want to be in a vehicle with any driver who never momentarily glances at the rear view or side view mirrors. And yes, there are some who drive that way. Take into account the driver who flips on his signal and immediately changes lanes, sometimes causing a collision. No, just because a turn signal has been activated DOESN’T mean it is okay to change lanes WITHOUT first looking. When the term rear view camera is used, it is NOT being used to watch a full length movie. It is a substitute for a rear view mirror that has been rendered useless by a huge rolling object attached to the vehicle being driven. It gets an occasional glance just as a rear view mirror in a non-towing situation would. And “anxiety” resulting from noting that someone is tailgating? I’ve got to ask how is that any different from the potential anxiety one might experience if the tailgater were viewed in a rear view mirror rather than a camera’s video monitor? Everyone has the right to make their own choices and to express their own opinions. However, anyone considering camera systems has the right to first determine which of the many opinions expressed are based on logic and which are not.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:02 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Everyone has the right to make their own choices and to express their own opinions.

That is true, one would hope.
👍
Old 02-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #20

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
I have a Garmin GPS on the dashboard and I added the Garmin wireless backup camera which is compatible with our GPS.
The GPS monitor transfers the rear image at our request and only when the position lights are activated.
We like this system, it's o.k. for us.
Good road.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote