Backup Camera System Quandary - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #21

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
We added a rearview camera this year.
It has to share 12VDC power with phone charging and GPS, so we got a 3/1 plugin splitter, that resides on the glove shelf corner. This will change whenever I get around to adding an additional 12V power port ( just means removing pieces of plastic dash, or contorting myself into the foot space under the dash.)
I've modified the camera wiring with plugs at the rear of the tow vehicle (TV) and the trailer, so it can be also used in the TV rear when not towing.
The screen is a rearview mirror that clips on to the existing mirror. It is too big and ungainly, so it now sits in the lower left hand corner of the dash (in a Calif.-legal position), and provides a good view of the corner blind spots behind the TV. (The photo shows the screen location; the unit below it is the Tekonsha brake controller.)

I made a holder that mounts the camera in the back window of the trailer when towed, and it is a good addition to the visibility and awareness of traffic back there. I find the screen in the corner of the dash is not a distraction, and it is now part of my normal mirror scanning when driving.
Attached Thumbnails
rear view cam and P3 controller.jpg  
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #22

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I've got the Garmin GPS and camera, so just 1 monitor.

I used it one trip and did not find it helpful. Haven't used it since.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:11 PM   #23

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
I modified a cell-phone suction mount to attach our wireless rear view camera on the inside looking out the rear window of our 21 (safe from theft). The camera is powered by a 12V power outlet under the dinette table. My wife, riding shotgun, has total control and view of the monitor. She lets me know if there is a traffic situation approaching from the rear that I need to know about. The monitor is powered by a center console cigarette lighter type outlet. Our tow vehicle (2016 F-150) has its own navigation system. If you're running short on power outlets on your tow vehicle's dash, have you checked into installing additional power outlets in or around the dash? Shouldn't be that hard to do, with an appropriate in-line fuse to protect your devices. I've been interested in a tire pressure monitoring system where the monitor is solar powered with internal battery to get you through the night. I haven't looked, but a similar solar-powered camera monitor doesn't seem totally out of the question.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:35 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You can buy 12V splitters too.
Attached Thumbnails
DC splitters.jpg  
Old 02-23-2020, 08:09 PM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Thanks for all your responses.

In addition to posted responses, I received several PMs.

I have not yet purchased a backup camera, and will do more research.

We do have an older Garmin, and it may be worthwhile to upgrade to a newer model that is integrated with a backup camera. That would certainly reduce the number of monitors on the dashboard.

We can also upgrade our built in audio/screen to include satellite navigation. Perhaps even a system that allows for two cameras.

Finally, purchase an RVS system and deal with a dashboard which includes multiple monitor.

I’ll definitely update the thread over time.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #26

Name: Lucinda
Trailer: Big Foot 25' Class C
Scotts Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Hi Everyone,

So, I’m customizing our new-to-us Bigfoot 21 in time for late Winter/early Spring camping. Most everything needed for off grid camping has been addressed.

Now it’s time for those things that I can live without, but would really like. Top of that list is a wireless backup camera system. My research points me to the RVS-2CAM or a Tandy.

My issue: there’s lots of competition on the dash board (and cigarette outlet). We use a Garmin navigation system which would (at best) sit side be side to the RV backup monitor. In addition we have the auto backup/stereo screen monitor (which hopefully can be ignored).

Folks that I speak with regarding backup camera systems, love using it while on the highway.

Do any of you with backup monitor use a navigation system as well? If yes, how does this work for you?

How many of you keep the RV Backup Monitor on the Dashboard while towing down the highway?

Please give me your inputs.

Thanks.
after my $9K repair on backing into a truck that was parked (I have driven my 25'RV since 2003 with no incidents), I purchased a cheap, $125 back up camera from my RV repair shop and place it on my windshield with rubber cup type holder to far left so antenna works. It only works when headlights are on, but for the price, I am thrilled. It's good enough.
LucindaSMartin is offline   Reply With Quote