Backup monitor or similar - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Name: D. Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
Backup monitor or similar

I have looked at backup monitors that work in reverse modes.
a) Is there a system that can be mounted on my trailer?
b) can be switched on to monitor traffic etc behind my rig?
c) Is there logic to my ideas?
Jim
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #2

Manitoba
By the way my profile does not show my trailer type. I have a 2014 Scamp 16 ft side dinette plan 6 Scamp towed by a 2002 Montana van
Old 03-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jim,

I've had a camera in the rear window of my Scamp 16 for a couple of years. Mine is a wireless model and communicates to a display that sits on my tow vehicle's dash. It is on when ever the tow vehicle is on.

Normally the camera is only powered when in reverse, however I just wire the reverse lead to 12 volts keeping the camera on. When we're camping I de-power the camera.

This has allowed me to eliminate the use of extended mirrors.

The cameras continue to get better. There are a number of people who use this technology on the site.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:58 PM   #4

Manitoba
Thank you for the tip. More questions re the monitor...
a) Do they make monitors that provide you with a corrected view when looking at the mirror?
b) On your trailer, where did you mount yours?
c) is it possible to alternate between mounting on the back of the car or the trailer?
Jim
Old 03-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #5

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Jim View Post
a) Do they make monitors that provide you with a corrected view when looking at the mirror?
c) is it possible to alternate between mounting on the back of the car or the trailer?
Jim
Jim, We also use a wireless camera that is on full time. The camera is meant to bolt onto the license plate bracket (wide plastic ears with bold holes), but we just slide the ears into a couple of the spoke holes on the spare tire mounted on the rear bumper of the camper. The camera will bounce a little when we hit a pothole, but then settles right back down. We ran a video/power cable extension under the camper, along the frame rail up to the battery box on the tongue where we use a couple alligator clamps to connect to the battery terminals, and that powers both the camera and the transmitter. We just drop the transmitter into the battery box and it transmits from there. Then my wife just plugs the video monitor into a power outlet in the center console next to her passenger seat, and she has a bird's eye view of anything that comes up behind the camper to warn me. The monitor has a little switch to change from dash mount viewing (standing up) to ceiling mount viewing (hanging down). I've also used a small spring clamp to temporarily attach the camera to the rear window wiper of our Highlander tow vehicle (camera pointed down toward the hitch ball) and powered the camera directly from the four-pin trailer receptacle (using the alligator clamps) to help hitch the trailer. Works great, but it's more hassle than it was worth, and you have to make sure the two alligator clamps sitting right beside each other in the power receptacle don't shift and short across each other (been there, done that). Anyway, I love having my wife use the camera to monitor traffic behind the camper while we're on the road, but it was more hassle than it was worth to move it to the back of the tow vehicle just for hitching up the camper. I hope that helps.... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #6

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Jim, For what it's worth, I've posted links to the TaoTronics camera, monitor and wireless harness that we ended up getting for our camper and have been happy with. I also bought a 25' power/video extension cable off Amazon (a 20' extenion would have worked fine for our 17' EggCamper) and a couple alligator clamps from Wal-Mart. I believe it all came to just a little over $100.00 and well worth the peace of mind while on the road, especially during congested interstate travel. Dale

TT-CC01 Car License Mount Rear View Video Backup Camera with 7 LED Night Vision
TT-CM03 4.3" TFT-LCD Car Rear View Monitor with Baffle for Backup Cameras
TT-WM01 2.4GHz Wireless Color Video Wide Operating Transmitter & Receiver
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Jim View Post
Jim
There are all kinds of monitors available. I used to mount mine on top of the dash between Ginny and I with our Honda CRV. In the Odyssey it's to the left of the driver's console.

Our Odyssey has a back up camera that works very well. If I were a little more industrious I'd connect the trailer camera into the Odyssey's display.

The cameras are very wide angle and provide a good view, Ours has a graduated scale overlayed to show distance. If you have a frye's electronics nearby they often have a good comparitive display of cameras.

The camera, like Jim's was designed to mount on the license plate. I mount mine on the inside of the rear window attached the ledge of the window. I power the camera from an overhead light in the back of the trailer. I use an RCA connector that I can un plug to remove power from the camera. I do a similar thing on the tow vehicle side, no clamps leads required.

I think this is our third year with the camera. The mount can be seen under towing/Odyssey.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #8

Manitoba
One question I still have, and maybe I should clarify.
My understanding is that with the camera facing back, it produces a normal picture, but now as the driver I am looking at the monitor facing the opposite way, therefore the right objects are displayed on the left of my screen and the left objects on the right of the screen. ie the shoulder of the road appears on the drivers side. That's like living in Canada and driving in Britain all at the same time... I see an accident in my future.
Technology could solve this if they projected onto a mirror... I'll have to think that one through before I make that conclusion.
Question... do they make monitors that compensate and reverse the image?
By the way I appreciate you all for interacting with me on this.
Jim
Old 03-28-2015, 10:48 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Not sure what you are hoping for with a rear view camera. Laws require you to be able to see a certain distance back in the lanes either side of the vehicle, so you can see overtaking vehicles. They are not concerned with what is immediately behind you. You'd be better off looking at what's in front than fretting about that car that's tailgating you.
At camp, you'll be much safer if you get out of the vehicle and look for obstructions, making sure you have a clear route. That, and another person who has discussed the hand signals with the driver ahead of time, to be your eyes back there.
You are likely going to need mirrors to satisfy the law in any event.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:48 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Jim your rear facing camera will give you the same view as looking in your center rear view mirror. Not sure what you're looking for in using a camera and I agree with Glenn 100%. They are NOT a replacement for mirrors, ask any of the millions of truckers out there. Have no idea how an accident would work out legally after they find out you're using a rear camera instead of mirrors wide enough for safe rear sight. The only thing I see as a plus for them is hitching up might be easier but I've been doing that for more years than I want to admit to without a problem.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:15 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I do have the Swifthitch portable camera - https://www.swifthitch.com/ - for hooking up the trailer.
I had to come up with a list of birthday / Xmas present ideas for the family and I got one as a gift. If I had to buy it myself, I'd still be using the telescoping rods to line up hitch and ball.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:59 AM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: 30' jayco & 1974 Boler
Ontario
Registry
you are in luck !!! princess auto has a wireless backup camera on sale next week for $40 . and it is a GOOD idea !!
jcstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #13

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
We use a rearview safety camera system ($200) hard wired from tow vehicle to back of trailer. Very clear large screen. Works great in the daytime, not so well at night. Headlights cause big white blobs of flare. Running the wires was a pain.

My research three years ago showed wireless video quality not very good. They are probably better now.

Screen is mounted to a cut-off water bottle that sits in the cup holder. Easy to install and remove, no holes to drill.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I also use a wired system from Rear View Safety - 2 cameras, one for the tow & one for the trailer. 5" monitor (no longer available) and a very heavy duty 7 pin connector (the type used for 18 wheeler trailers) used to connect the trailer to the tow. I believe they now use a lighter cable.

I agree with Glenn & Dave that the trailer camera is not a substitute for good mirrors and the "getting out & look" method is critical for backing into a site, however I travel solo, and have found the camera useful for those times you need to back up in a gas station or other tight location. Without it, it is easy to miss someone who has just moved into the space behind the trailer. It is also useful for seeing the area within the range of your rear view mirrors.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
For what its worth I put this system on my Casita. Yes its from China, Got it in a week via Ebay. It does emulate a mirror etc etc. It is wireless. I know there are lots of replies out there. There are several vendors with the same product. I chose the dash mount variable option. JMHO.
Wireless IR Night Vision Rear View Back Up Camera System 7" Monitor for RV Truck | eBay
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:52 AM   #16

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Back - up camera

We have a 1997 16' Scamp. We bought it in Oct of 2013. I had little experience in campers and was pretty uncomfortable about backing up. I found a Camera on discount at a dept store for $50 and thought it might be a good idea.
I mounted the camera on the license plate. I powered the sending unit by tying into the parking lights inside the rear compartment under the dining area seat. The camera is on whenever we turn on the parking lights. Convenient and works for us.
We tow with a Ford Edge which has a pretty large window, still we find that the Garmin and the backup screen seems just a bit busy. We have now travelled over 14,000 miles and I am no longer uncomfortable about backing up. When changing lanes, my mirrors seem fine and I always twist to check my blind spot. The camera wouldn't help with the blind spot anyway. Over the past 8 -10,000 miles the backup screen has lived in the glove compartment. It fell off the window once and we haven't missed it enough to stick it back up.
Different strokes for different folks and one person's tool is another's paperweight.
I just recently helped a friend put one on his new van for the wife. Many people love em.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #17

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
Here is a link to a previous thread about this topic:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...n-66253-3.html

We use the Peak CorB camera and monitor...one of our entries in the above thread has pictures.
Yes, the monitor has a button to reverse the image so that you see things as if you were looking in your rear view mirror. Not a problem if you are looking at the monitor mounted on your dashboard BUT we mount the monitor in the back window of the Frontier tow vehicle and thus we are looking at it via the rear view mirror. Without the option to reverse the image, things on the right would appear as if on the left...so having a button to reverse the image is crucial!
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #18

Texas
Just curious Fran- Would it not be like looking at a post card? Curious as to why you mounted on the back window of the tow vehicle? I'm sure there is a logical and functional explanation.
thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 03-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #19

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
Mike,
Not sure how to answer your postcard question....
We mounted it in the back window of the pickup truck since it would be natural to use the rear view mirror to look behind you while driving. If the trailer was not there, that's what one would do. The suction cup mount that it came with made it easy to do that. Some people mount things to the rearview mirror but this seemed easier.... And it kept clutter out of the dashboard area...sometimes we have a GPS there.
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #20

Texas
That I can understand. I tow with a Odyssey and its a long way back there for me to see. For my BU monitor I dont watch it much but I can glance at it as I check my mirrors left and right to see if anything is there. Thanks for the explanation and yes the dash does get cluttered it seems like anymore. I have a GPS, cell charger,dash cam,BU monitor, and a radar detector all vying for room. Then underneath that is the Ham Radio control heads. Thanks for the explanation and visual.
If you Rest, You Rust