Best Electric Brake Controller - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #1

Name: Kinch
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Best Electric Brake Controller

Picking up new Casita in a couple of weeks and need to install a controller. Not sure that factory will do that. Any recommendations of U Haul options. Local store is recommending Reliance, but also carry Podigy and Voyager.
Casita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Local store will recommend what they sell.
This is what we use and it works well. You can get a cable from the same company that connects directly to your vehicle if your vehicle has the towing wiring. Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 4 Axles - Proportional Tekonsha Brake Controller 90885
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
on the P2
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Prodigy P2 or P3 for me.. nothing else.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have the P3 since it displays more information better.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
While I have purchased P2 and P3 controllers, I am guessing that most controllers will work fine.

I would like a list of controllers we should stay away from.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
P2 or 3..... I just purchased the P2
Very easy to install

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
More than HaPpY with the Prodigy P2
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #9

Name: Brent
California
Go with prodigy p2 or p3
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #10

Name: Kinch
Florida
Thanks All! I ended up with Prodigy 2. Now just have to figure it out. Part of the journey I guess
Casita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #11

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Hopkins Insight brake controller in the best to me. You can mount the base unit, dispaly and sliding control unit in the most convenient to you DIFFERENT places.

Hopkins InSIGHT Flex-Mount Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 4 Axles - Proportional Hopkins Brake Controller HM47297
Old 10-10-2015, 01:02 AM   #12

Name: Fallon
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
I've been happy with my P3.

Sent from my K00C using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:25 AM   #13

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
P2 or P3 is not critical. Picking a proportionnal controler is the most important decision. Such inertial sensitive controllers will automatically adjust the amount of brake power you need to remain safe and will prevent brakes to lock up or overheat.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:59 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamimartin View Post
P2 or P3 is not critical. Picking a proportionnal controler is the most important decision. Such inertial sensitive controllers will automatically adjust the amount of brake power you need to remain safe and will prevent brakes to lock up or overheat.
...when properly adjusted.

Would you not agree? They can still be set on too high a setting and then lock up the trailer's wheels (in many cases).

Yes, a proportional controller is a no brainer decision, but it still should be adjusted as needed. Don't just assume its good to go after you wire it up.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On the Casita forum a lot of questions are asked about setting up the Prodigy and to me that might indicate that it has a bit more "features" then the average person wants or needs.
I went to a local place that builds, installs, repairs trailers and sells the TEKONSHA brand of controllers which the Prodigy is one of intending to get the Prodigy.

He recommended the slightly less but not a lot expensive Voyager model by the same company for the reason I mentioned above.

It works fine for me and has two knobs and a LED that changes from green to orange to red. No fancy readout.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've owned a Tekonsha Voyager for years, then got a opportunity to replace it with a Tekonsha Primus IQ at a fair price (like free ).
There is a world of difference between a Voyager and a more advanced model like the P2, P3 or Primus. I figured a proportional brake controller is a proportional brake controller, and once properly adjusted they are pretty much all the same, save a couple features and shiny lights. I was wrong. I could see that although the Voyager worked OK, the Primus is much smoother, much easier to adjust, and the braking performance is superior and always perfect.
The Voyager uses an older technology, it's better than a non-proportional unit, but it's much harder to adjust, and for the price difference, go for at least a Primus IQ (here in Canada you can get it at a very good price from Costco.ca). Unless you get the Voyager for free, it's the only Tekonsha unit I would not recommend.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #17

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

Would you not agree? They can still be set on too high a setting and then lock up the trailer's wheels (in many cases).

Yes, a proportional controller is a no brainer decision, but it still should be adjusted as needed. Don't just assume its good to go after you wire it up.
Yes I agree 100%.
The adjustment procedure is explained into the instruction manual... you know the paper 95% of people don't read Once the sweet spot is found for each trailer, it really makes a huge difference.

My point was only to stress the importance of buying a proportionnal brake controller, nothing else.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #18

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
I've owned a Tekonsha Voyager for years, then got a opportunity to replace it with a Tekonsha Primus IQ at a fair price (like free ).
There is a world of difference between a Voyager and a more advanced model like the P2, P3 or Primus. I figured a proportional brake controller is a proportional brake controller, and once properly adjusted they are pretty much all the same, save a couple features and shiny lights. I was wrong. I could see that although the Voyager worked OK, the Primus is much smoother, much easier to adjust, and the braking performance is superior and always perfect.
The Voyager uses an older technology, it's better than a non-proportional unit, but it's much harder to adjust, and for the price difference, go for at least a Primus IQ (here in Canada you can get it at a very good price from Costco.ca). Unless you get the Voyager for free, it's the only Tekonsha unit I would not recommend.
I agree that Voyageur is outdated and is harder to adjust. I got a used one but it did not last more than a few days... I like Tekonsha's newer models but I'm doing fine with the P2 ancestor I got on sale.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Equally as important to adjust the brakes right on the trailer itself once a year.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

A lot of adjustment depends on the trailer and trailer brakes. My 13' with 7" brakes can NOT be set high enough to lock up the trailer wheels. I would imagine that trailers with bigger brakes could lock up the wheels. Prodigy has some very good instruction on how to adjust the brakes.

I can personally confirm that trailer brakes and Prodigy P2 is useful and desired combination. Even if they don't lock the wheels they do what I want them to do that is keep the trailer behind the tow vehicle.