Best Trailer to Pull w/Honda Element - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #1

Name: Sherri
Trailer: In the Market
California
Best Trailer to Pull w/Honda Element

Hi -
Hoping you folks can help us determine what trailer might be best (in your experience) to pull with our 2008 Honda Element SC.

We really want an Eriba Puck, but they are terribly hard to find (The Samba folks know what they are worth, and they rarely come up), so we need to find a nice, light alternative.

My husband would still like something "vintage" looking that we could also tow behind our '70 VW Westy (again needing be be lightweight for that application as well).

Our requirements: Bed big enough for 2 (one is 6'3"), sink, stove, refrig (not icebox), potti. Max weight according to the Honda book is 1500 lbs, but I'd like to keep it much lower if possible.

So, if we could get folks to chime in (especially Element owners/towers), we'd REALLY appreciate it. Thanks!!

Sherri
VW Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Did you look at the thread "trailer weights in the real world". http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html Lots of information. Any number of 13' trailers under 1,500 pounds. Don't know about bed length.

After that, you'll get the full spectrum of answers as to how much you can pull and I don't know how you'll sort through which opinions to believe or apply to you.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Kamper View Post
Hi -
Max weight according to the Honda book is 1500 lbs, but I'd like to keep it much lower if possible.
According to the http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html thread, you're limited to the first 7 trailers on the list of trailers that were weighed.

To get much lighter than that you're looking at a teardrop style trailer, but that won't have the kitchen you want.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #4

California
Thanks. We've had a teardrop - too much like camping in the Bus. I want more "indoor" comforts getting older. Ha!
Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #5

California
Thanks Steve - I'll check out that thread - sounds like a good one.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We have towed both a 13' Scamp and a 13' Lil' Bigfoot with our 2008 Honda CRV that also has the same weight limits, but you do have to be careful how much weight you add to the trailer when packing.

Another idea that is not only lighter, but also has that "vintage look" you want, is the Hunter Compact I & Compact-II and sister ships Compact Jr & Campster and a few others.

The right Compact-II will have a bathroom, sleep 2, have a 3 way ref and shouldn't insult your budget too much and, right now, there is a fixer on eBay in Salt Lake City for which I just happen to have a full set of the missing cushions.

Here is a link to ours, but we have fixed it up a bit from original.
Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

If you live in or visit SoCal, send me a PM and you are welcome to come for a tour.

We are in Diamond Bar

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #7

California
Hi Bob -
I saw that one in SLC this morning - looks like it could take quite a bit of work. We are in Riverside, so don't know if it would be worth a drive to SLC for it sight unseen (except photos). Yours looks terrific! Great work. Thanks for the info on pulling it with your Honda.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Jim B's Burro is cool and within the published limits of your Honda.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-60588.html
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #9

California
That is nice. Portland is a bit far for us to go at this point. Need something within about 4-6 hours of Southern CA. So many variables!
Old 09-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Perhaps a LiteHouse would work also. Nice size bed in it, anyway. Similar trailers are still being built by Weiscraft.
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There are Elements, then there are Elements. Gina D. would only pull the weight of a 13' Burro with her Element. Because it had a weight limit of 1,500 lbs. The 4x4 Elements MAY be able to tow a larger weight(?)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #12

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There are Elements, then there are Elements. Gina D. would only pull the weight of a 13' Burro with her Element. Because it had a weight limit of 1,500 lbs. The 4x4 Elements MAY be able to tow a larger weight(?)
Without checking, I am sure the Element has the same tow capacity as a CRV. The downfall is the Element has a lower payload capacity because of the rear suicide doors.

My buddy has an Element and a 78 Trillium 1300, on a recent trip he noted is was pretty hard on the Element, lots of time spent at 4000 rpm. He did have a family of four, four bikes and a canoe though. Good thing our area is fairly flat.

If your near mountains and such, probably a good idea to get a bigger tow vehicle.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote