bicycle racks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #1

Name: Kate
Trailer: Scamp
Ontario
Question bicycle racks

We would like to mount a bike rack for two bikes to the rear bumper of our 19 foot Scamp 5th wheel. Any recommendations or warnings we should heed?
kate downer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate downer View Post
We would like to mount a bike rack for two bikes to the rear bumper of our 19 foot Scamp 5th wheel. Any recommendations or warnings we should heed?
If you are adding a receiver, be sure that it is securely welded to an added crossmember under the trailer as well as to the bumper. Get a solid bike rack which has no joint movement when in place.

Here's a nice hint ... Get a bungee with a ball and loop it through your front wheel and around the down tube on your bike, this makes loading and unloading your bike much easier as it stabilizes the bike by keeping the headtube assembly from flopping around.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Buy a good bike rack rather than one of the $129 wonders. Don't scrimp.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #4

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
You'll find a good choice on :

Arvika - Home
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I prefer a rack that the wheels set in a loop or channel and a hook over the top frame tube. Swagman has one as does Thule. I ended up making my own using parts from Thule and Swagman to get a sturdier rack.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #6

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I prefer a rack that the wheels set in a loop or channel and a hook over the top frame tube. Swagman has one as does Thule. I ended up making my own using parts from Thule and Swagman to get a sturdier rack.
The Swagan the back of a trailer, looks like a slingshot.
It's not like the back of a vehicle.
Where I shop for maintenance of my trailer, it does not install bike racks at the back of the trailer, too many bicycles broken or lost on the road .
Attached Thumbnails
S64665_01_0015_1000.jpg  
Old 09-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #7

New York
Swagman XC bike rack is rated for use on the rear of a RV. We made a 2500 mile trip with one on the rear of our Uhaul with no problems. OP is talking about carrying 2 bikes, not 4. I would not carry 4 on a rear rack. Don't really like carrying any on the rear if I can avoid it.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
With 3 plus a big dog in a 13-footer we do not want a bathroom -- but won't be without our porta-potty!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:03 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
I had a front hitch installed on my Avalanche and use the two bike Swagman. Love it. I bought an 
Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1443564188.230894.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  12.2 KB
anti rattle device to help control sway and everything is nice and steady. It took a few miles for my brain to adjust to the bikes out front, but now I don't even notice. Would have preferred a rear trailer hitch but the Oliver bumper does not lend itself to adding anything back there.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #10

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Swagman XC bike rack is rated for use on the rear of a RV. We made a 2500 mile trip with one on the rear of our Uhaul with no problems. OP is talking about carrying 2 bikes, not 4. I would not carry 4 on a rear rack. Don't really like carrying any on the rear if I can avoid it.
The pic with 4 bikes, it's this I founded on the net, it's only an exemple for illustration...
Old 09-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
With 3 plus a big dog in a 13-footer we do not want a bathroom -- but won't be without our porta-potty!
OOPS! Wrong Thread!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #12

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Here's a nice hint ... Get a bungee with a ball and loop it through your front wheel and around the down tube on your bike, this makes loading and unloading your bike much easier as it stabilizes the bike by keeping the headtube assembly from flopping around.
Not only for loading and unloading, but if you are using a rack the bikes hang on it eliminates the flopping and the wheel spinning around as you drive. I'm sure we've all seen that.. As for rack movement in the receiver, a couple of mine have a captive nut in the mount, so rather than just a regular hitch pin, it has a threaded pin. My other racks that don't have the threaded pin I use a 5/8-11 nut welded on a flat metal piece that I insert in the mount and a bolt in place of the pin. Keeps the rack nice and tight in the receiver
Old 09-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

You need to be careful about which make you choose if going with the type that hooks over the top frame as some of them have been known to bend the top frame on newer lighter weight (read expensive) bikes. Ask lots of questions as to how it hooks to the frame - if its simple pressing down on the frame that may not be a good thing unless you are mounting a heavy old mountain bike - in which case that much weight on the back of the trailer may not be all the great an idea either.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If you are adding a receiver, be sure that it is securely welded to an added crossmember under the trailer as well as to the bumper. Get a solid bike rack which has no joint movement when in place.

A member here owns a company called Orbital Machine Works that makes a very well made and designed custom hitche for Casita's and Scamps for a very reasonable price and they pack them up well complete with simple installation instructions.

Our local popular fiberglass trailer manufacturer who actually mounted the one I purchased from Orbital onto my Scamp was very impressed with the hitches design and quality.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:38 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Maybe you could weld a receiver to the tongue so that your bikes could be carried on a carrier in front of the loft. Likely a much better ride for the bikes and more secure.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #16

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Arvika - Home

They have a good set up for 5th wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
DFX-5WXL & DFX-400-C.JPG  
Old 09-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Arvika - Home

They have a good set up for 5th wheel.
That may well be a good start, but of course the Scamp would require mods to make it work.

Tags
scamp